“Nice for Lunch”

La Tabella Italian Grill
Ranked #227 of 933 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Locally owned Italian restaurant specializing in house made pasta dishes, hand cut steaks and chops, and fresh seafood. Open for lunch serving deli sandwiches, salads, and lunch size pasta dishes. Sunday brunch features benedicts, omelots, traditional breakfast dishes, burgers and sandwiches, salads, and our house pasta dishes.
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I have eaten here only twice (each time for lunch), but both experiences were good. The servers did not hover over us, but they were there when we needed something. There definitely was a casual sense about their service, but both of them were friendly.

For each of my lunches I ordered from the side dishes on the menu. I had the vegetable risotto each time, and it was different each time. That was not a problem because I liked the variety, but it could be a problem for people who order something with an expectation of consistency.

The decor is nice, but not extraordinary.

I could have gone with the "Very Good" rating because I enjoyed dining with my friends as much as I enjoyed the meals. I definitely would give it another try.

1  Thank JamesIslandTraveler
There are newer reviews for La Tabella Italian Grill

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Doesn't like it

My wife and I went to dinner here this evening and I ordered the steak special. Before I go any further let me say my wife and I have more than 20 years experience in the food service industry, I ordered my steak medium-rare. When it arrived to the table it had been cut open in the kitchen and was cooked to medium-well. I ate the side dishes because I could see the middle of the steak was over cooked (as it was cut down the center, the true mark of a quality kitchen) and left the steak. You are employing a sub-par kitchen staff who can't tell whether or not a steak is done and cooks it past temperature.Obviously we will never return, and we advise anyone else interested in quality dining to take the $10 cab ride over the connector to downtown or check out Heart, or Wild Olive on Johns Island if you want Italian.

3  Thank robby w
Bobby N, Owner at La Tabella Italian Grill, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

We at LaTabella Italian Grill value the opinions of all customers. It can help us improve in the areas of food preparedness, service, value, and ambience. In reading your review, we however think you have a different agenda. To set the record straight we offered no steak specials on the weekend of your review, we do not and have never cut a steak in order to determine the desired temperature. None of the servers on duty that night, heard any complaints of any steak served and the kitchen was not informed of any problems. We will continue to monitor our steaks to insure that they are properly cooked and meet our customers expectations.

We stand by our commitment to providing our customers with exceptional food, service, and value.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

So this has been an excellent find in our neighborhood. If you want excellent food, with a family friendly environment then this is a place for you. If you want a quiet, romantic hide-away, then you should probably pass this place by. I've been to Italy, and honestly, when I think of neighborhood eatery in Italy, then La Tabella would be exactly what I would envision. Expect it to be loud like a true Italian family restaurant would be.

There is your standard Italian fare, but then daily specials that will just blow you away. The shrimp and scallops are highly recommended as well as the sea bass when available. A great mix of pasta dishes coupled with excellent seafood.

A great selection of wine is available. I won't tell you when wine Wednesday is so that I can still get a table...

2  Thank michaelstephens
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We arrived without a reservation on a busy Friday evening. Were promptly greeted and told that our waitng time would be 30 to 45 min, which was ok with us. We were seated after 40 min and got our menus. Then we waited and waited. Our waitress finally showed up and asked for drink orders and we placed drinks and food orders together. It took a good 15 min until our drinks came and we had to ask for some bread as we had not gotten ny yet. The bread was delicious and warm and served with ok olive oil.
After 45 min the first dish for a child in our oarty was delivered (pasta alfreddo). The pasta was slightly overcooked and the sauce very sweet. It took another 20 min until the adults were served! So total wait time from order to delivery was more than 1 hour. The food was so, so, the veal masal overcooked (as if reheated by microwave) for example. The restaurant was very noisy and as seating is on a bench along the wall, people permantly dropped on the bench between the tables to chat to guests, making the entire seating rather uncomfortable. This is an italian neighborhood restaurant, good italian restaurants are rare in Charleston, but this is not filling the void. One is better of visiting Aldila at the Triangle on Hwy 17!

1  Thank cbroo
Reviewed April 3, 2014

James Island isn't exactly a culinary hotbed of excellence, but La Tabella changes all that. Located in a non-descript strip center near the end of the island, you just might miss this haven of Italian food (unless you’re a local). Small, but spectacular, this little gem has everything: an impressive menu of food choices, great customer service, and an owner who actually cares about your dining experience. From the fresh fish specials to done-just-right pasta dishes, this restaurant is excellent from appetizer to dessert. Make reservations because the word is out!

1  Thank Gobeach56