“Charming Charleston”

Charleston Tea Party Tours
Ranked #6 of 26 Food & Drink in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Many thanks to all my guests who have launched me onto Trip Advisor. My tour is Monday through Friday starting at 9 am with breakfast on the Battery, going through the gates and front doors and into my friends' historic Charleston houses and gardens. You are invited in for a refreshing and hospitable tea party at my home overlooking the Ashley River at noon at the end of the morning tour. The goal is to be faithful to the Southern history and to give you the passion of a Charlestonian as you are treated like a guest, not a tourist.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Laura Hipp made Charleston and the South come alive with her knowledge of history and how it relates to today. The time flew by, as our group was regaled with stories and facts of a charming way of life long gone. Laura is a true southern belle and a real treasure of Charleston. I would take another tour with Laura because I could not possibly remember every wonderful detail she shared. This is a tour not to be missed! I think even Charlestonians should take the tour. Incredible!

1  Thank Beverly R

Reviewed November 4, 2013

By far, the finest tour we've ever taken. Laura Wichmann Hipp introduced us to her friends' exquisite homes and gardens. We began with a southern breakfast at an historic home on the Battery, visited and listened to story after story on another friend's piazza, saw all the important homes and churches in Charleston, and ended up with a delicious formal tea at Ms. Hipps' historic home on Tradd Street, overlooking the water. Ms. Hipp comes from a long line of Charleston families and shared tidbits of the society and the culture, making us feel like insiders. But her insight into the history of Charleston and the South went deeper than I've ever experienced, despite the stacks of books I've read and the semesters of classes I've taken. I've written three books on the periods she covered, and I have to admit, I learned far more in this one day than in months of research. I plan on taking this tour again next time I visit Charleston.

1  Thank Wendy L
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Laura's comprehensive knowledge of history, and particularly Charleston's history, is impressive, as are the lovely homes and gardens she has access to. I can't imagine a better tour and we were so glad that we found pleasant, intelligent and articulate Laura Hipp! She loves her city and it shows.

2  Thank TKK_10
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I can't imagine a better way to "meet" the charming historical district of Charleston than through the eyes of Laura Hipp, who is a native daughter of this historically significant city. Quoting from historical documents and journals, Mrs. Hipp takes her guests through the founding of the city, the Revolutionary War and the "northern aggression." The drama and the trauma of the Civil War on Charleston's citizens is vividly presented. Through visits to private residences and gardens, Mrs. Hipp gives a tour that feels like a peek behind the stage of a play that few get to see. The lunch at her home seems like visiting a relative who happens to live in a fascinating city and who is eager to introduce you to it. Her personal and personable approach to a "tour" is my ideal way to be introduced to any new city. If only each one had a Laura Hipp to make the introductions.

3  Thank Janet G
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Laura Hipp is a Charleston treasure. My whole family (8 adults) enjoyed the tour precisely BECAUSE it wasn't like any other tour we had been on, and we are all seasoned travelers. Laura makes it personal and she is passionate about her city and the war of "northern aggression". Yes, she has a Southern view of the war, but then, growing up in the Midwest, don't I have a Northern slant? A highlight of the tour was actually going to Laura's lovely home and having a home-cooked luncheon/tea.
Laura drives her guests in a van or car to various historic homes and gardens and this was an important factor for our group, as we had one person whose health would not permit her to walk extended distances.
Finally, Laura went the extra mile for us because we left an important health device in her van and she went out of her way to make sure it was returned to us in a timely fashion.
Thanks again, Laura, for fabulous day!

1  Thank PamHouston2013