“Lots of surprising extras” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Macintosh
Ranked #26 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ann Street
San Francisco, California
“Lots of surprising extras”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We ate here our second night after having dined at FIG the previous night. When I mentioned to our server how beautiful the FIG seven vegetable salad was, the chef at MacIntosh sent out their version as a comp. It was very different, the vegetables mostly raw, but also beautiful. When the server missed my order for the bone marrow bread pudding, it was added as a comp as well. Tom's spinach salad was lovely with croutons that satisfied even the very fussy Tom since he hates the dried out cubes often presented. These were crisp on the outside but tender on the inside. I had the deckle which was delicious. Tom had the burger and truffled, pecorino fries. The service was great, food distinctive. The bone marrow bread pudding had the beefy flavor of Yorkshire pudding but very light, not custardy.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Toronto, Canada
“Yet another fabulous Charleston establishment!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Where to start? If you dine here, ask for Ricky's section for the best possible experience. All of his suggestions were bang on, and he's a wine savant. The ricotta gnudi that he suggested as an appetizer blew our minds, and we are not easily blown away. Fantastic from start to finish. A must-visit!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I recently ate here with a group of ladies as we were on a girls trip. I go to Charleston two or three times a year since my son is a college student there. The Macintosh was recommended to me so we decided to try it. I was worried that it would be a little "foodie" for me but I am so glad we tried it. Our waiter, Ricky, was awesome. He made suggestions of what to eat and what we probably would not like. I ordered a wine and he told me that he knew of another that would go with my meal better. He was dead on because it was a great wine. Even our picky eater friend tried all the different dishes with us. The bone marrow bread pudding was really good. I can't believe that I would like something like that but it was very tasty. One of the ladies even told Ricky to surprise her and pick out what she would eat. She loved the dish he picked. I would not be that trusting but Ricky delivered. Great restaurant and service. I will be going back this fall when we go to Parents Weekend. There was a vibrant bar scene but I did not think it was too loud as others have said. Of course, we were probably loud! See you this Fall, Macintosh!

Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
“Good food, large portions, corporate feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

You can’t even pretend to care about calorie intake if you dine here. Portions are huge, well-prepared and interesting. The restaurant has a bit of a corporate feel and I always hate that cash grab of directing you to have a drink at the bar even though you are on time and your table is ready. It’s always off-putting when the bar is 2 deep nowhere to sit or stand comfortably and then they take you to your table as your drinks are being served. Anyway they room is handsome, comfortable and beautifully lit. The food as I mentioned is heavy, but delicious and creative. My husband, daughter and I sampled the seafood charcuterie, the gnudi, and the misnamed “oysters and clams”. The oysters are oyster mushrooms in a creamy cheese fondue. The clams appear to be nonexistent. You can neither taste nor see them, but it is still a delicious dish. The seafood charcuterie was comprised of large portions of a rillette a crudo, a balloting and a sausage. Most were excellent - just A LOT of food. The gnudi were excellent, light (but not really) and the fish sauce was outstanding. Very delicate in flavor. For entrees, we had the Deckle (half of the ribeye cut of beef), the Duck breast, and I had the quail appetizer. I incorrectly thought that would be a small portion and ordered a side of the truffle fries. Again, very large portions of ell prepared food. The duck entree made up of many components and served in a duck broth was on the bland side, my daughter raved over the deckle. The quail was a generous portion, deep fried and served over something farro-like. The real winner of the evening were the fries. They were shoestrings, golden and loaded with parmesan, parsley and truffle oil. Divine. We shared a bite of a too rich graham cracker gelato for dessert. I could barely walk to the valet!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dallas, Texas
“Delicious but can be very noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

We were warned, but we like a fun atmosphere and this was Macintosh, a sophisticated tavern with a dynamite kitchen. Unfortunately by our entree service the sorority voices at the next table we deafening. We did not stay for dessert and would have love to. Everything we ordered was inspired. ear plugs:)

Visited March 2014