“Excellent find”
Review of The Macintosh

The Macintosh
Reserve with OpenTable
The Macintosh is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 968 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ann Street
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We tried to get in to Fig and to Husk on a Monday night with no luck (even though we could SEE open tables at Fig standing at the hostess station--shame on them). We ended up at The Macintosh and were not disappointed. Great appetizers and a fantastic specialty cocktail menu. All of our entrees were prepared well with beautiful presentation. Our server was attentive but not pushy and provided good recommendations. Decent atmosphere and pretty good desserts as well. Only drawback was the parking situation but luckily on a Monday it wasn't as bad as I anticipate it would be on a weekend.

2  Thank goinback2hi

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Overall absolutely phenomenal spot - the ambience is spot on - love the banquet seating makes everything very comfortable. Food was on point - tried a couple of apps, Gnudi and Sausage was to die for. Staff gave great descriptions of cocktails and cuisine - service was not overalls attentive, but definitely a team environment, everyone was chipping in on dropping food which might have been why a couple of our courses took a little longer than I had hoped. Roughly a 2 hour meal that probably could have been 1 1/2, duck was cooked perfectly though - guess I am just a little picky when it comes to timing. Overall though - Bravo.

3  Thank CamHayes
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I tried the sausage appetizer, scallop appetizer, truffle frites, and cobia. All were awesome. The scallop was cooked perfectly, and the house made sausage plate was huge. It comes with their pickles, all delicious. Cocktails were great and inventive as well. There is a reason they call the truffle frites "crack fries"! Will definitely be going back!

1  Thank rtpaige03
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was so looking forward to eating here. Perhaps it just wasn't a good night. Not that it was "Bad".. it wasn't, but it wasn't exceptional as I had expected. I attended with a group following a conference and the atmosphere was wonderful. We were seated on the newly-opened patio out back, which was lovely that night. Several rounds of cocktails and wine were served and the glassware was beautiful. I only wish that my iced tea was re-filled with the same attention given to the others who were drinking alcohol! Some ordered the charcuterie trays for appetizers. Something that tends to be all-the-rage in many restaurants these days. I tried a couple of selections and the cured pork was fine. "Lardo" is not really my cup of tea, however. The primary reason I down-grade this restaurant is because my fish serving, as well as that of two others, was way over-cooked. And that is a horrible thing to do to a beautiful selection of local fish. I mean waaaaay over-cooked. For the portion size and the price of the dish, that is not acceptable. The accompanying side/garnish was adorable! Talk about "baby" vegetables! There were teeny, tiny baby snow peas (delish, those were... all two of them) and the tiniest little beets I have ever witnessed outside of when I mercilessly thin them in my home garden. Smaller than my pinkie finger, with little roots still attached. The person who was happiest at the table with their food was the guy who had the cheesburger and fries! It looked wonderful and he verified that assessment. I hate leaving this review as "average" because it really is not an "average" restaurant. Its just that this, my first experience here, was certainly not "Very Good". I know this chef is held in high regard, and I am definitely willing to try The MacIntosh again.

1  Thank PenrynC
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Of the many fine restaurants we tried in Charleston, this was our favorite. A nice bar and great decor and atmosphere, but the standout is the food. Everything we tried was delicious, starting with the cocktails and warm bread with a crispy crust. The scallop appetizer is not to be missed, as well as the watermelon and beet salad. For entrees, the deckle (rib eye) is simply wonderful; tender and full of flavor, with nice veggie and potato accompaniments. The grouper is fresh and expertly prepared, and the vegetable plate is huge and delicious. Save room for dessert, because the warm blueberry bread pudding with ice cream, and the pane cotta are terrific. Service is friendly and attentive, with the waiter explaining every dish thoroughly. Be sure to make reservations, as the restaurant is very popular. Can't wait to go back there!

1  Thank Bob T