“Pork paradise!”
Review of The Macintosh

The Macintosh
Reserve with OpenTable
The Macintosh is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 938 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ann Street
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We've been trying to get here for a while & so I was pleased when my wife surprised me with reservations this past weekend.

The design & decor is unique but distinctively Indigo Road. The server brought me a new bourbon I had not had previously. I cannot recall the brand, but it was good.

For appetizers I went for the Butcher Plate: Pepper Jack Bologna, Foie Gras parfait, Lonzino, Coppa, and Lardo. It was served with some caper berries, house pickles, jam, and crostini. All were phenomenal but the Bologna was the pièce de résistance--it was cured and then "fried" making it veritable redneck pâté!

My wife opted for the ricotta gnudi. This is a tough dish to execute, its cousin gnocchi benefits from the addition of potato and its starch to hold it together--the gnudi provides no such insurance policy. These were pillowy dumplings of ricotta goodness with medallions of salty/ spicy chorizo perched on top. The sherry vinegar provided a nice crispness cutting through the more intense flavors.

For my entree I did the confit pork shoulder which was glazed with sorghum mustard. This was sweet, salty, fatty, and awesome! The braised root vegetables were also good and provided a nice vehicle for the pork star.

My wife went with the "Mac" Burger. It was as good as advertised with a brioche bun, aged cheddar, nueske's bacon, and the now ubiquitous truffled pecorino fries. Really, really good.

Finally we shared a side of the bone marrow bread pudding. Pure decadence. Subtle in flavor, it was like especially good fried bread--which sounds dumb, but I mean it as a complement. Crisp on the outside, custardy on the inside, delicate beef flavor.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I had a great meal here while visiting Charleston. Limited menu but everything we tried was very good. Preparation as good as any meal I can remember. They use local, fresh ingredients which then bounds what is on the menu. The pork shoulder with root veggies - outstanding. And the deckle (a steak) my wife said was wonderful. We also had the sauteed scallops appetizer - excellent as well. Great service as well. We sat in the back patio which was very enjoyable on an October evening.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I crave the rabbit and their pastas- as well as one of their ricotta salads. Their fries are also good (how can they be bad) as is their fried fish and chips. The steak that they recommend (i forget the name but they are always recommending it) is fine- I ate it but it's nothing to write home about. I wouldn't say this place is romantic because the bar scene is always lively and can be loud- and you are generally seated right next to it as the dining tables are right next to the bar- but it's a good place to be.

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Delish! Loved the pork with the root veggies! Only complaint is a little salty. The wait staff very knowledgeable.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We ate our way through Charleston moving from place to place based on recommendations from each previous restaurant. The chefs eat here. The back patio was charming and the foresight of overhead fans made the evening outside perfect. Every ingredient was fresh that day and the Amberjack fish was truly life changing. The bread pudding that started with cinnamon rolls from Wildflower Pastry was also a true delight. However, I will never forget my first southern martini... green olives stuffed with pimento cheese and bacon. Wow, it was fantastic.