“Lots of fun and learned a lot!”
Review of Walks In History

Walks In History
Ranked #46 of 224 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Walks In History, LLC is happy to provide the Supernatural Charleston tour, the #3 ranked best ghost tour in the U.S. in Coastal Living Magazine in 2016 and Yahoo! News in 2017. Walks In History has the highest customer satisfaction rate on Tripadvisor of any supernatural tour company in Charleston for nearly seven years in a row, with Certificates of Excellence awarded by Tripadvisor every year since 2011. The Supernatural Charleston Tour begins at the ca. 1822 Old Citadel and ca. 1770 College of Charleston, two historic areas that mark two significant revolutions in American history that are revealed through light-hearted yet spooky documented stories of spirits in the Holy City. The Old Citadel (converted into an Embassy Suites) has been titled the 'Most Haunted Hotel in the South' according to Huffington Post, because of its murky inception tied to the persecuted and famed Mother Emmanuel (ca. 1816). The Supernatural Charleston tour meets in the heart of the historic peninsula, one of the oldest parts of the Holy City, Marion Square, where guests will also see the 1758 tabby rock defense wall, as well as the 1790-1810 remains of America's first city orphanage. Stories are based on the local bestselling Haunted Charleston first published in 2004, and now in its seventh printing. Historic sightseeing walks (without ghost stories) are also offered during the day per request and availability.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lots of fun and learned a lot!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The pirate walking tour was incredibly enjoyable. The guide was very personable as well as being an avid historian of the Charleston area. My husband and I learned a lot and had a blast.

2 Thank Danipark

Dunwoody, Georgia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 266 helpful votes
“Inaaaarguably the best Walking Tour in Charleston-The Pirate and Haunted History Tour!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent just a couple of days in Charleston and wanted to find a tour that could give us a complete ‘story’ of Charleston’s incredible past and I’m so glad we found this one on Groupon. It was easy to book a tour online. You don’t even have to print a ticket; Groupon can ‘send’ one to your phone!

Geordie was our guide who moved us swiftly through the back alleys, nooks and crannies of the historical seventeenth century walled city of Charles Towne; due to an impending storm. His stories of privateers, corrupt politicians and ladies of the night were intriguing. Attached are some photos that were taken on our walk into the past. I’m so glad I bought a copy of their book “Haunted Charleston” so I can get even more information and share it with my friends and family.

7 Thank Joanie_Balonie
Goose Creek, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A must do on your list for Charleston!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I had the pleasure of going to 2 of the walking tours, and I was pleasantly surprised! As a native of the Charleston area I thought I knew most of the stories. I've been on tours before, but I learned so much about the great city of Charleston through Geordie. He was very witty and made the history so memorable. He makes it fun, knows where to get a cup of coffee on a cold day, and he made me appreciate Charleston so much more! The ghost stories were were genuine and in some cases, the myths are busted!

2 Thank babykaetchen
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great tour for all ages!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Who doesn't like a great Ghost story? We had a great time on this tour. Geordie Buxton was our guide. He was very informative and had great stories. We got to learn a little bit of history and saw some interesting sites. It's an easy walking tour and each stop has something to offer. Our guide was very upbeat and knowledgeable of Charlestons history and made the whole experience fun and enjoyable. Before you knew it the tour was over but you wanted the tour to keep going. I will definitely go back for the other tours they have to offer. Thanks Geordie!

4 Thank Brigitte P
Moncks Corner, South Carolina, United States
“Great tour”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Great tour! This is the 2nd time we have toured with Geordie. I loved both times. We did the pirate tour. He is very friendly and fun to be with.

2 Thank Cindy B