“wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
ma
“wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Just returned from our first Charleston visit and we were so glad we stayed at the French Quarter Inn. The staff can't do enough for its guests. They upgraded us to a suite that was large, luxurious and spotless. The hotel and hallways were very quiet, even though the hotel was fully booked. The included breakfasts were huge and all items were fresh and relatively healthy, such as yogurt with fruit, fruit cups, hard boiled eggs, etc. We will miss those big trays delivered to our room every morning. The wine & cheese hour was a nice break before dinner and the bedtime cookies (with milk or port, tea or coffee) were big and moist. They even keep M & M and jelly bean jars, along with several beverages hot & cold in the lobby/sitting area all day long. The staff was very friendly and helpful and made great dinner suggestions. Even the location is great; an easy walk to all the areas most visitors want to see and 1 short block from Charleston's free trolley service. This hotel does it all and very well, too.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked lovely and were pretty large.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear wac55ma,

On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I hope y'all are doing well and staying warm back home in beautiful Massachusetts.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
Kingstree, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I chose this hotel after a month of searching and reading reviews. I'm so glad we chose the French Quarter because it's an amazing hotel to experience with a loved one! This hotel goes all out for their guests on everything from fresh baked cookies and milk at night, to lemonade and wine during the day. The bed and pillows were so comfortable we slept unbelievably good. The location alone makes this hotel a desired destination, because everything that you want to do in Charleston is only a short walk away. And lastly I must mention a very knowledgeable and helpful guy at the service desk.......Darryl, thank you for some great advice on where to eat in Charleston, it helped make our visit a great experience! See you next February on our Anniversary!

2 Thank dale t
Dear dale t,

I hope you are doing well back home in beautiful Kingstree! Wow, I thank you for such high praises, and I am delighted to read that y'all enjoyed your stay with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Darryl says hello too!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We last stayed here in 2012 and nothing has changed very much. The location, service and staff are excellent. We were in Suite 101 (the same as last year, just a coincidence) and the decor had changed a little but for the best. The only problem with the room was the lousy shower head. We did advice the front desk and they indicated other people weren't happy with it either. Hopefully, they will replace it. Nevertheless, this is an excellent hotel and you really can't go wrong staying there.

Room Tip: I normally prefer an upper floor but we were on the first and had no noise problems.
1 Thank wctrvlr
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear wctrvlr,

I hope your travels back to beautiful Myrtle Beach were pleasant! It was a pleasure having y'all back with us! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, I am delighted to read that y'all enjoyed some of our new decor throughout the Inn.

Massapequa Park, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We arrived at FQI on a Saturday afternoon .We were greeted by Darryl and Scott at main desk , who are 2 of the nicest people I have ever met. They both helped us figure osomeone nice places to visit before our dinner plans at Cypress. we stayed at FQI for our 3rd Wedding Anniversary.
Not a huge milestone but FQI made us feel like it was our 50th. We had a nice bottle of champagne sent up to our room 1 hour later. Everyday , complimentary breakfast sent to your room at a time you choose. The breakfast consists of fruit , atop yogurt, coffee , juice, croissants, quiche, mixed fruit, tea. Location of FQI puts you right in middle of everything. Also take advantage of complimentary bikes and take a spin down to the battery and check out all the mansions by the water. Everyday , concierge send complimentary newspaper, while every night your bed gets an extra turn down while your out along with complimentary bottle of water. Ever night, enjoy wine and cheese 530-600 from Sonoma Valley. All day long, enjoy lemonade, water, coffee or tea in lobby set up for your pleasure. My wife and I particularly enjoyed the warm cookies and milk set out every night at 830. Staff also puts out port wine for a little after dinner enjoyment. In each hallway, coffee and tea put out on a tray if you don't feel like going down to first floor.
The hotel itself has beautiful architecture with a really nice circular stairway.
Our room had such a nice comfortable bed, and a huge bathroom with a huge walk in shower.
My advice: we went to Cypress, Hanks Seafood, and Husk. Make reservations at each at least 3-4 weeks before you go. Cypress was our favorite with steak you could cut with a butter knife. Our waitress Trina was so nice, exemplifying the warm welcome southern hospitality. If your adventurous, coming from a NYer , try the shrimp and grits at Hanks.Husk was nice and Kent was very knowledgeable about wine pairings with the different entrees. I can't wait to get back to Charleston. Greatest trip by far !

Room Tip: Bring a few sweatshirts, jackets in February .........brrrrr was 49 when we got there
3 Thank EdwardC3
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear EdwardC3,

I thank you for such an amazingly detailed and wonderful review of Charleston and our Inn! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I hope y'all are staying warm back home in beautiful New York, and please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed at the FQI with our two small children on the recommendation of a friend. We couldn't have been more pleased. The service was excellent, the rooms were beautiful and the little touches made it memorable (lovely breakfast, wine and cheese, and our favorite hot cookies and milk every night). Special thanks to Jenny and Darryl at the front desk and Taylor at valet service.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Brielle78,

I am delighted to read that y'all enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope everything is well in the Big Apple! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

FQI was exceptional. Great location, spacious/modern room, friendly staff and lots of little things make it great- high quality bfast buffet, lemonade all day, wine and cheese at 5, fresh baked cookies and milk in the evenings and hand dipped candies during turn down service. Within walking distance of major attractions and the trendy restaurants.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Lizalu61,

On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I hope you are staying warm back home in beautiful Massachusetts!

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

A beautiful hotel well located. The amenities are striking: pillow concierge, lovely breakfast, coffee outside your door, wine and cheese in the early evening and port at bedtime. Of course these are things for which you paid dearly and expected as part of the stay. I must say that the doorman was extremely nice.

However, there were two major issues which happened which were totally unacceptable at ANY hotel, let alone one that boasts this reputation.

The first was that when we checked in late in the evening we found our room did not have a separate sitting area. When I had booked the suite on the internet eight months earlier, I had put in the comment section that it was extremely important to have a separate sitting area. The night desk person, Leticia said that she agreed the website was confusing, and that I should have called instead. She said that the only thing they could do is put us in the desired room two nights and then move us the last, because it was booked. We couldn't bear the trouble. She was "very sorry".

The second was when water started pouring out of the ceiling onto the toilet area. There was a vent above. It was pouring. I called immediately and said it was urgent but no one came for about five minutes when the deluge began to subside. When someone did arrive, it was a bellman. He said there was no maid service or maintenance crew on duty yet. so he, as a bellman, got there as quickly as he could to clean up. "This had never happened before". He was "very sorry." (Later when I went downstairs, he did not see me nearby when he told the desk person that "we were fine with it"...I really wasn't.)

Some minor unexpected things: the soaking tub water was only luke warm, when I asked directions to a local historical destination the desk person offhandedly responded "Never heard of it", the street on which the building is located is a bit of an eyesore, the view from our terrace was not attractive, the maid service tried twice to clear out our room the last day around 9:30 and 10:00 (while we were still there).

If this were an average hotel and these things happened, I would not have rated so harshly. They might have been expected. But not here.

Room Tip: Make sure you call to ensure you get the room you expect
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank BBBBTravel
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear BBBBTravel,

I hope you are having a wonderful day and that your travels back to beautiful Pennsylvania were pleasant! I am glad to read that you enjoyed many elements of our Inn, but as a passionate service professional, you can imagine that I am disappointed to read that we did not meet all of your expectations and for that, I sincerely apologize on behalf of the entire team.

I am delighted we were able to discuss by phone your stay after you departed and that we were able to restore confidence with you in our renowned service. Even though we both agree the failures you experienced seemed to be "a perfect storm" and very uncommon, we stay 100% committed to excellence so that every guest's high expectations of us are met or exceeded. Although it was very unfortunate and out-of-our-control that the guests above you accidentally overflowed their bathtub, we are installing better drains on these tubs so that when a guest leaves their tub running and leaves the bathroom, it will not overflow and disrupt the guestroom below.

I also apologize that we did not meet your perception of the accommodations you reserved. Your particular suite had a sitting area but not a separate living area room, and my team should have been more proactive at informing of this layout. Although most all guests rave about our Inn's views of the historic district, I am disappointed to learn your view was not to your expectations.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome y’all back and to demonstrate our commitment to excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.