“Great location....but change the front desk”
Review of French Quarter Inn

Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glen Head, New York
“Great location....but change the front desk”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location. We had two rooms (one for our two kids and one for us). They were clean and pretty large. There is not much of a view (except for the air conditioning on the roof next door). The free continental breakfast is simple but nice. There is tea and coffee in the afternoon and cookies and milk in the evening. Overall, it was a good experience. The one caveat was the front desk. They didn't seem to be able to get out of their own way. They forgot to call for our car, then forgot to cancel our reservation at a local restaurant. They just didn't have their act together at all. Still, as I said, great location, nice rooms.

• Stayed August 2013
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Valerie Y,

I hope you are having a wonderful day and that your travels back home were pleasant! I am glad to read that you enjoyed our Inn, but as a passionate service professional, you can imagine that I am disappointed to read that we did not meet all of your expectations and for that, I sincerely apologize on behalf of the entire team here. Nevertheless, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review of our Inn.

In regards to the Concierge team, I do believe our brand new Property Management System (went live August 1st) flustered our team greatly as it is a very intricate computer system that we are still doing our best to overcome. I apologize for this failure as our Concierge team really is the "face" of our world renowned service.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome y’all back and to demonstrate our commitment to excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

Brent Gresham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We are late 40 yo professionals who travel a fair amount for biz & leisure. FQI is a very fresh, pristine, elegant mid- size hotel w/ an air of class & Old World sophistication. If you prefer Euro styled decor & cruising on Oceania, then you will appreciate FQI. The hotel is open & airy, hallways spacious & bright. Staff is very friendly & helpful. Continental breakfast exceeded expectations plus daily wine/cheese & cookie/ milk receptions. While the room did not have a coffee maker, coffee bar is on each floor. Our room was spacious & well appointed. Pillow choices available. Bathroom was modern & roomy, adorned in marble. Valet had our car ready & waiting. Covered valet entrance is located on a side street unlike other hotels. This made for safe, easy, stress free luggage handling. FQI is in the heart of the bustling historic district near City Market, carriage tours & restaurants. (BTW, FIG, Cru Cafe, McCradys- fit for foodies) I was so tossed betw Charleston Place, in the same $ range, & was so glad I chose FQI. We walked inside CP. It is large, part of a chain w/ that atmosphere, hundreds of rooms, all gray marble lobby felt cold , loud & crowded, adjacent to a mall. FQI receives so many glowing & positive reviews, ranked #1 on tripadvisor, & we were not disappointed! If you seek luxury in a modern, classy, but non-stuffy, environment with so much added value, then FQI is a smart fantastic choice!

3 Thank IMHO X
Dear IMHO X,

Wow! I thank you for such high praises, and we all hope your travels back to beautiful Florida were pleasant. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel is in a great location that is walking distance to many restaurants, cafes, the market, and sightseeing. The rooms are superb, very large and comfortable. The complimentary breakfast is a great touch, and offers a variety of items. It is also nice that you can get it delivered to your room if you choose to do so. The only downside is that I wish they had a pool, especially in the scorching Charleston heat. If and when we return to Charleston, we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

Dear travelbirds0809,

I hope your travels back to the GREAT state of Texas were pleasant! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. A pool would be a fabulous idea I must say!

North Carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I generally won't review the same property twice but as it's been four years it was long enough for an update.

Free continental breakfast in bed is an amenity we've never encountered anywhere. The coffee was even good and we invariably dislike hotel coffee. It's on a quiet side street and a 5 minute walk from lots of restaurants, the Market and the pier.

Saturday was National S'more Day (seriously?) so they had all the fixings and gel fire cans on the milk and cookie table. (available every evening and includes free port wine for the adults.)

Certainly none of this is actually "free", the cost is rolled into the premium room price. However, lots of premium priced places don't provide check-in champaign, wine & cheese, milk & cookies, port, a pillow menu and breakfast in bed. And cool drinks in the lobby with a side of jelly beans and M&Ms. And disks for the DVD/Blu-Ray player. And probably something else I'm not remembering.

We won't stay anyplace else in Charleston.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dmaxdmax
Dear dmaxdmax,

It was a delight having y'all back with us, and I thank you for the high praises! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Also, when nobody was looking, I made a s'more too and it was yummy!

Katy, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

When you want a very good hotel, this is it. We had a package with a carriage ride, in-room massage, and rose petal turn down. Our room was huge and very nicely appointed. They have a very elaborate happy hour...very nice!

Hint: they have bicycles for free use. A great way to see this charming city.

Room rate was a little expensive, but there is value if you want top notch. The manager was quite attentive. They are trying hard and it showed.

Room Tip: They are in the midst of doing makeovers on some rooms. I did see workers, but did not hear any noi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DGR1968,

I hope all is well in the GREAT state of Texas! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Truly an oasis in the mid-summer heat that envelopes the South. This Hotel is as refreshing as an ice cold lemonade in the middle of a hot afternoon. Perfect location plus elegant accommodations plus a first class staff adds up to an exceptional experience! I'm so happy that I was able to book this Hotel for our 28th Wedding anniversary celebration. This place just "gets it"! My only small criticism is that they didn't do a little something special for our anniversary but the truth is that they treat everyone special just because you are their guest.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Dittmo,

I thank you so much for choosing to stay with us to celebrate such a special occasion, and I hope you travels back to beautiful Washington were pleasant! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I were on vacation for a week in Charleston and staying at the Doubletree Suite by Hilton across the street. Doubletree's General Manager should take the time to spend a night here and learn something for his place. The reason we moved over to the FQI. We were looking for a place to have a glass of afternoon champagne somewhere, went into the FQI, looking for a bar. We were approached by the valet/bellman Charles and told the bar was not open yet. He then proceeded to convince us that it was entirely acceptable for us to go upstairs and get a free glass like we were guests of the hotel. We were not very comfortable taking free champagne but were told the same thing by the front desk! You can read the other reviews about all that is offered. We concur. However, I went downstairs to get something i forgot in my car. A valet insisted it was to hot out for me to get it and he would be right back with my item. While waiting, Bellman Charles came over to thank me for checking in. General Manager Brent Gresham was coming in the door and Charles introduced me to him. I explained Charles' role in our changing hotels. Brent walked me upstairs, asked if we were partaking in the wine and cheese offerings. I explained we were running late for dinner and had no time and went to my room. Five minutes later, a knock on the door and Brent was there with a plate of fresh fruit, 3 different cheeses, crackers, fig jam, cured meats and dried apricots. This from a very busy GM!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Queen jr. Suite. Spectacular!!! You can't go wrong with any room. No pool or fitn...
4 Thank billmccannofflorida
Dear billmccannofflorida,

I hope y'all are well back in beautiful Florida! It truly was an absolute pleasure meeting and serving y'all! Your high praises really lifted the entire team's spirits as we cherish these comments from our guests. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.