“Nice, but has a couple issues...”
Review of French Quarter Inn

Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chesterfield, Missouri
“Nice, but has a couple issues...”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a small botique hotel and as other reviewers have indicated, it is in a great location right in the French Quarter and close to great restaurants, historic sites, and shopping. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. There is no concierge, so the staff behind the check-in/reservation counter also help with activities/reservations. While the room/bathroom were lovely, it was very hot and muggy outside and unfortunately the A/C and ceiling fan combination just couldn't keep the room cool at night. This was our biggest complaint, as being on vacation and not able to sleep at night is not fun. Breakfast was included and you could even have delivered to your room; however, it was nothing to write home about (after the first day we skipped and ate elsewhere). We like to stay at the 'top' hotel in town -- and while this one had many plusses and was nice in many respects, it is not a 5-star hotel by any stretch of the imagination.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pianolady609
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
We would like to thank you for your candid review. We are sorry that you had a difficult time sleeping, and I have been sure to pass this information along to our Chief Engineer so that he may look into any issues your room may have been having with the AC. I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the complimentary breakfast that was delivered to your room. We do also offer additional offerings in our lobby. We appreciate your notes and we do sincerely hope to have you stay with us again.

Brent Gresham
French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The French Quarter Inn deserves it's ranking as the number 1 hotel in Charleston. Everything about our stay was top notch. Champagne on arrival was a welcome refreshment before settling into a lovely room and comfy bed. The wine and cheese happy hour was delicious, as were the breakfast offerings. Coffee and tea service was right outside our door(room 306) every morning - nice touch! - as well as beverages in the lobby all day. The staff was especially helpful and friendly. The location is perfect for seeing the city on foot. We were there during the Spoleto festival(to our surprise,) so perhaps the rates were a bit higher. After attending one of the events, we will make it a point to go back next year to this absolutely beautiful city during Spoleto.
Our favorite restaurant was the Amen Street Fish and Raw Bar on East Bay St. Try the 'Virgil's Last Stand' signature cocktail. Yum!

Room Tip: Room 306 was very quiet and coffee service was right outside the door every morning.
Green Features: I didn't see any obvious notice about a towel reuse program, although they say they have one. When we return we will definitely check on this because we are happy to reuse towels. Other green practices are applauded.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you were able to experience the Spoleto Festival during your stay. It is truly a wonderful time to be in Charleston! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope all is well in sunny Florida!

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

Deerfield Beach
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I spoke on the phone for a reservation to the moment I walked thru the door I knew I found the best place to stay. You are treated like king and queen. Chilled champagne when checking in and homemade cookies with milk, coffee,tea. Complementary breakfast The list goes on. Plus we are right in the middle of all the fun exciting places to see. Restaurant's are all walking distance. I want to thank Faith who took my reservation. She is wonderful. First class all the way. I also want to thank Will who parks your car when you arrive. He also went above that with showing us around. All I have left to say is don't miss out on staying here. You will be totally happy you did

• Stayed June 2013
We are thrilled you felt like royalty while staying with us, who doesn’t love feeling pampered? Faith and Will are genuine assets to our team, and it is wonderful to hear that they were of special assistance to you for your trip. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

ohio
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Great location! Right near market! The staff were very attentive and friendly!! Our room was clean and beautiful. Worth the extra $$. Especially liked the coffee service on each floor and the complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you enjoyed the coffee service and complimentary breakfast! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope your travels back to beautiful Ohio were pleasant!

Sarasota, FL
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Where, oh where to begin?!! I'll simply say that in all of my extensive travels I've stayed at "top notch" hotels and resorts, and there isn't anyplace I've EVER stayed that tops The French Quarter Inn?!! The entire staff is exceptional, friendly and helpful in making your stay the best possible experience ever! Michael and Michelle at the front desk deserve a raise, for starters. They do it all, with a smile! No request is too much to ask for! Let's talk about the location of the property, next.. shall we?! Bam.. right smack dab in the heart of the downtown historic district, walking distance to the open air market, King St. and phenomenal restaurants. Bring comfy walking shoes as the streets are cobblestone and after a day of walking it was such a treat to come back to the spacious room with such an amazing and comfortable bed (more comfortable than my bed at home?!!) After a long outing here and there I decided to treat myself to an "in room massage" that the hotel set up.. ahhh.. delightful. 5 minutes after the massage was over, the phone rang and a kind gentleman advised me that a "hydrating treat" was on the way... with a beautiful bowl of fresh fruit, and ice water, and fresh flowers to accessorize the tray, delivered to my door?! WOW?! I loved the fact that if you didn't want to go downstairs for the continental breakfast (which is beyond just your ordinary continental breakfast) you can elect to have it brought to your room?! Whatever you do.. don't forget to check out the "pillow concierge" in your in room book to select the perfect pillow to enhance your sleeping experience?! I smile every time I think of my 2 day stay, and dream of my next visit to Charleston.. where I will never stay anyplace other than the FQI! Spare yourself from reading any other hotel reviews!! I promise, you'll have no regrets! Happy travels!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a king suite with a balcony! Why not.. life is not a dress rehearsal!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
We are thrilled to top the list of hotels in your extensive travels! It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed our each of our complimentary amenities and how relaxing your in-room massage was. And we are certainly count ourselves as lucky to have Michelle and Michael as part of our team! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope all is well in sunny Florida!

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Old world accommodation in Historic district. So central we were able to walk everywhere. Hotel is beside market. (Carriage rides from near the market are well worth it )Complimentary wine and cheese each evening was a nice touch. Staff friendly and helpful. Would recommend.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the recommendation! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. We hope your travels back to the beautiful UK were pleasant!

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

The reason we come back every time is the wonderful staff. When you walk in and are greeted by name after six months you know you are in the right place. This is a hotel that is worth every penny and then some. We always stay in the same room because we love the view but every room is wonderful and spacious. Breakfast is a great way to start the day whether it is delivered to your room or enjoyed downstairs. The staff goes out of their way to make sure your visit is perfect- even finding you a pair of pliers and helping fix your bracelet! Our housekeeper was so very sweet- Rose took the time to greet us each morning and always ask what our plans were for the day and how our day was yesterday. She also took the time to find me a vase for the beautiful roses from my husband. Their valet service is excellent. Might I add that I WILL NOT valet my car anywhere else but think nothing of handing these men my keys. The front desk staff is fabulous. Always taking the time to greet you and ask if there is anything they can do. All in all I am counting down my days to going back again!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Drob504
Thank you for all of the wonderfully kind notes about our team! It is always great to hear that my staff has gone above and beyond to make guests feel like they are part of the French Quarter Inn family. I will make sure Ms. Rose sees your wonderful comments; she is a true asset to our team. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.