“As good as it gets.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manila, Philippines
“As good as it gets.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were a family of 8 travelling south from NY to Florida and had thought of stopping by Charleston to break the trip. I did not have much expectations for the hotel as it was recommended to me by a relative though I was aware of it's high rating in Tripadvisor. We stayed here one night in two similar rooms both with 2 queen beds. The stay ended up quite delightful! Though we were slated to leave first thing in the morning we ended up maximizing our stay till noon.

The rooms were very well appointed with full amenities and great bathrooms. A plethora of Pillow choices (my daughter could not get over the Pillow menu they provided), comfortable beds ,great design made this hotel a place to visit instead of just a place to sleep in. Needless to say it was spotless and smelled great.

The hotel itself is very pretty and interesting. Though it is small, it did not feel crowded. It's location is unparalleled being right beside the main market and surrounded by dozens of eating places. Service was very attentive and they have thought of everything from a champagne welcome to complimentary breakfast to evening cocktails and milk and cookies for kids at night and complimentary bikes, all for guests of the Inn. Staff was not only friendly but you could get a sense of pride and sincerity and making sure your stay was as good as can be. We have stayed in great hotels all over the world and this Inn is every bit as good as these very famous hotels. I can't say enough good things about this place and can't think of ways to improve it.

I highly recommend this to all who may find themselves in Charleston.

Room Tip: We had basic rooms on two sides of the hallway on the 2nd floor, both were quiet and had city views...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear PeterAngliongto,

Wow...what a great and detailed review! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I hope you are well back in the beautiful Philippines!

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
Elon, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was our first visit to the French Quarter and it will not be our last. We were pampered from the moment we walked through the door. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. We had a wonderful veranda over Church Street and enjoyed the port, cookies and milk each evening while watching the comings and goings on Church Street. Breakfast was always a treat and the wine and cheese each evening was wonderful and relaxing. Mike at the front desk was always there to help with dining reservations. The French Quarter Inn is definitely the place to stay when visiting Charleston!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio on Church Street. You can see the market as well as St Phillips and all...
Dear Jim W,

I hope y'all are well back home in beautiful North Carolina! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Also, I love those rooms too as they really do offer the best of both views. Mike says hello too!

Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was our first, (but not last) visit to Charleston and so we wanted an elegant hotel that exuded the Charleston vibe. From the moment we walked into the elegant lobby and during our entire stay we felt pampered. Fresh coffee outside the room upon awakening. Our spotless room was spacious with a large patio. Champagne was sent to celebrate our anniversary. We received excellent restaurant recommendations and tour ideas from front desk staff. This has been one of our favorite trips and we will be back.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to a terrace room.
1 Thank carm48
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear carm48,

On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate y'all choosing to stay with us to celebrate such a special occasion! I also want to thank you for your kind words about our charming inn. We all hope y'all are well back in the Great State of Texas!

N. Syracuse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

The French Quarter Inn was the last stop for us on what was a three state, three week road trip. It was also the very best of all the hotels we stayed in. Not that the other hotels were bad this one was just a step above. We were there for three nights - April 7, 8 and 9. The hotel is lovely - it is quaint and superbly maintained. It is in a great location making it easy to see most of Historic Charleston by walking. Our room was lovely. It was located on the second floor and was a suite. It had a bedroom, bathroom and sitting room with a working fireplace. Our balcony overlooked Church Street and had wonderful full sun in the afternoon. The room was immaculate and I could not have asked for a better bed. The staff at the hotel was could not have been nicer. Check-in was smooth and quick. The staff goes out of their to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable. They will help with any reservations you need for any activities or dining reservations. If it is a first trip to Charleston, like it was ours, the staff could not have helped us more in planning what to do. They have a small breakfast buffet in the morning - which includes a selection of cereals, yogurt, fruit, Danish, juices and several other items. There is a happy hour (wine and a variety of cheese, meats and other appetizers) in the late afternoon and cookies and milk at bedtime - all of which is included. All the food offered it fresh and well prepared. There is always coffee and tea available. In the afternoon they have urns containing tea, lemonade and flavored water available for the guests as well. We were more than surprised when upon returning from dinner the first evening we had a basket in our room. The basket had a number of local products for us to try and several tickets for things to do within the area. What a nice thing to do. This hotel is wonderful - it is a jewel. I can't wait to stay there again. We did have a little trouble finding the hotel as the main entrance is actually on a side street and not Church - but I guess the town told them their address had to be 166 Church - so you might want to check for a more accurate address location for your GPS when driving in. Also - I believe you also have to pay for parking but I had booked a package where parking was included so I did not have to worry about it for the first two nights only the last night.

1 Thank Susan V
Dear Susan V,

Wow - thank you! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words and highly detailed review about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This semi-boutique hotel offers many lovely touches, from free bikes for rent to afternoon happy hour with delicious lemonade and a mix of wines. The lobby vibe is relaxed and the backyard garden with small fountain is sweet. Front desk and valet personnel are kind and in-the-know and will help with everything from locating a great gospel choir to suggesting restaurants. A bottle of fine sparkling champagne awaited me on my birthday evening in the room. But the mushy beds were a big disappointment because we'd asked several times before booking about bed quality and were told the made-to-order bed packages for all rooms were new and high-end. They're not. The rooms, though spacious, have an odd feel owing to small windows, spartan wall decor and old (not antique) unmemorable furniture. For $440 a night, we expected more. One can do better in Charleston at this price point.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EmilyMartha,

On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction regarding your accommodations. In May, we updated all of our box springs to offer more bedding support, and this winter we plan to update many of the furnishings. I hope you are able to visit with us again in the future to see the many enhancements.

Ely, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I spent the night here at the French Quarter for our 3 year anniversary, and it was well worth the stay. You get champaign when you check-in, they have unlimited wine, crackers, and cheese in the evening, and then cookies and milk later in the night. The rooms and bed are fantastic! Top notch in everything they have in the hotel and very well kept up. It is in the heart of Charleston so you can walk anywhere downtown and if you are going on a cruise it is within a few blocks of the port. The staff were all super nice and helpful too. The hotel also has a really nice breakfast spread that comes with the room price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear wlkrs2010,

I hope y'all are doing well across the pond! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The location, obviously, is fantastic. Breakfast is a nice touch (although it's not that different than what you get at multiple other Charleston hotels), rooms are good-sized and well-furnished. There's only one elevator and it can be slow on crowded days. Did I mention that the location is fantastic?

I feel certain we must've caught them on a bad two days during our stay, because virtually all the reviews below note the pleasantness of the staff. That was not our experience, starting with the bellman and working up to the front desk. In front, the friendliest person we encountered was probably the nice lady who brought our breakfast each day. Other than her, something just felt a little...off. Again, I feel sure it was just a bad day, because certainly there is ample evidence in the other reviews that suggests the staff is a property highlight.

We travel to Charleston fairly regularly and on the way home, we discussed whether this would be our regular go-to place to stay. I think it's pretty telling that we both felt it "probably" was, but neither of us would rule out trying other places, either. In other words, it's very nice, but we didn't find it so overwhelmingly great that we would absolutely return at the exclusion of every other hotel in Charleston.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JodyDavis,

I hope all is well back in beautiful Cary! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I apologize that we had some service failures during your visit with us, and I assure you that these critical matters you mentioned have been resolved, and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.