“Pleasant Surprises”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Pleasant Surprises”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was weary of this hotel because typically, the nicer hotels gouge you for every incidental and with the "complimentary" valet the first thing you experience - I was concerned. Turns out - it was the opposite. Fancy pillow menus, a great breakfast, complimentary tea and lemonade and the best thing - bikes! We find biking to be a great way to explore a city and to have bikes (granted - they weren't the best) available for use is a wonderful value-add! The location is great and the rooms are excellent.

1 Thank HAdventuresTO
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear HAdventuresTO,

I hope all is well in beautiful Canada! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. Yes, we do not want to be a lodging establishment that "nickel and dimes" our guests with incidentals...we like most everything to be included!

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
NC
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent a couple of nights at the Charleston Place Hotel, which was supposed to be a "great" hotel and then moved to the French Quarter Inn and the differences were more stark than "night and day". This hotel has everything going for it and nothing that would recommend against it. From the check-in experience, to the wine & cheese reception, to our room to the provided breakfast, every want was immediately satisfied. You will not find a better hotel in Charleston, nor probably in the good ole U. S. of A.

Dear Yankee07,

Wow...I thank you for such high praises, and we all hope y'all are well up in lovely North Carolina! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

From the moment you pull up the staff is simply amazing!!! They truly want you to feel special, at home, extremely pampered & well taken care of. The cocktail hour was very nice. The deluxe king suite with fireplace & terrace sooooo pretty & comfy. The cookies at night were delicious. And let's not forget you are centrally located to fine foods & shopping. The staff again VERY helpful in restuarant suggestions since it was Sunday & Tristans not open. The French Quarter is truly a gem. No wonder its listed as one of top 25 inns in the world according to Conde Nast.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank jeykennesaw
Dear jeykennesaw,

I hope your travels back to beautiful Georgia were pleasant! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I find those evening cookies to be delicious too!

HOBOKEN
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at FQI for half of our Charleston trip. We regret not staying there for the entire trip! We booked the room based on Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. If you are visiting Charleston, this is the place to stay. It is centrally located and just steps away from shops and restaurants. We booked a Deluxe King and got room 101 - we could not have asked for a better room/stay! It was a 2 room suite with a private balcony overlooking Church Street. I felt like a princess from the moment got there. The room was beautifully appointed; the staff was extremely friendly and helpful; the evening wine & cheese reception was lovely; the cookies were a great way to end a long day and something as simple as having refreshing beverages in the lobby made it so we did not have to lug sodas/water up to the room. Kudos to FQI and keep up the great job!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear amyinhoboken,

I hope all is well back in Hoboken! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I always use TA for any/all my trips. I have my kids doing it now, even though they tell me they would have gone places without looking at TA. But, I am in to their little secret. It is our 45th wedding anniversary and I wanted to do a #1 place on TA. I did and boy, was this a great experience. First of all, you would have to go far and wide to find anything wrong with this Inn. I call it an 'inn' because it only has 50 rooms, which is one of the things that makes it special. From the moment you enter the grand foyer, it becomes an experience you may not soon forget. The staff cannot do enough to make you happy. I barely put my luggage down when I had a glass of champagne and almond cookies in my stomach. I sat in the lobby drinking and looking around at this incredibly beautiful place.
When I got to the room, it was beautiful.. Quaint, spotless and two queen beds (after 45 years you need your own bed!). The flat screen tv was large and that is great. The bathroom is gorgeous and has all the amenities that are top quality. The towels thick and soft. My husband forget a toothbrush and they were happy to supply one.
Was the bed comfortable? Well, my 4 hour nap will tell you.
At 5:30 they serve assorted cheeses, wine, lemonade, (coffee and tea all day long as well as m&m's and jelly beans). They have thin cuts meats, blue cheese and fig jelly and all sorts of fruit. This is before dinner. (Their restaurant was closed on Sunday so I will review where we ate after this review.)
In the a.m. on every floor, starting at 6 a.m. is a beautiful coffee and tea table with all the necessities and it stays outside your room until noon. What a great service to be able to drink that first cup and not have to get dressed to do it.. I loved that!
Then breakfast, although continental, has organic greek yogurt, all types of berries, and other fruits, cereals and healthy ones at that. But, if you decide you don't want to be healthy, no worries. There are muffins and cruisants that will blow you away. You can wash them down with the skim milk and/or the detox water they serve you, which is fabulous.
And if there is anything that is better than this, it's the location. DO NOT RENT A CAR!!!!!
If you do, you will never use it. You are right downtown in the heart of everything you desire, from all the museums, eating establishments, landmarks and shopping, as well as waterfront.
The hotel does charge $20 extra a day for parking your car, which makes sense because parking is limited.The taxi from CHS runs $28-35 each way. Cars at the airport tend to be very overpriced. If you do want a car, you are better off renting it at the hotel and returning it there.
All car companies charge a surcharge if you rent a car at hotel and return it to the airport.
We felt 3 days in Charleston was just the right amount of time to see everything. Stop and read in the plaques on all the buildings.
Also, for those of you who are looking for a gym or spa, the Inn has none, but do not let that deter you from staying. Their other amenities make up for it. Wireless, by the way, is free; you don't need a laptop there is a desktop and printer in the lobby.
We want to personally thank all the staff at the French Quarter Inn who more than lived up to the reputation. And, that includes all housekeeping, as they keep this Inn spotless. This is truly a couples place and or a great place to go with friends!

Room Tip: We had 2 queen beds and I didn't see the other rooms. If you want a view, it may be difficult b...
1 Thank juliajjones
Dear juliajjones,

Wow...this is an amazingly detailed and informative review, and I thank you for such high praises! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming Inn. I hope this is not interpreted as déclassé, but any comments sent to www.tripadvisor.com will let other travelers know of the specialized customer service we extend. All of your efforts mean a great deal to us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Remember to “Like” us on Facebook to stay connected with exclusive offerings and current French Quarter Inn enhancements.

Please contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family!

With sincere thanks,
Manteo, North Carolina
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The French Quarter Inn is the BEST hotel! My husband and I spent our anniversary there, and we were treated royally, but then, the staff treats everyone like royalty! Jenny and Mike were especially helpful. They went that extra mile to make our stay so wonderful. From the champagne upon arrival to the wine and cheese in the afternoon and the gourmet breakfast in the morning, the French Quarter Inn is exceptional. Their central location is convenient to anything you want to see or do in Charleston. A stay at this hotel is a true vacation!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear june39,

Thank you for such high praises, and both Jenny and Mike say hello! We also hope all is well up in beautiful North Carolina! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We recently completed our second visit to this excellent hotel in Charleston. We had high expectations and they were easily met by the professional and attentive staff. Their attention to detail and willingness to cater to our every need was outstanding. The amenities offered at this property are excellent. The staff attention to detail made our visit very enjoyable. The wine and cheese in the afternoon is an excellent way to wind down after a full day of exploring the nearby attractions and historical areas. We plan on making this hotel a regular stop on our annual escape from the frozen north.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peggy L,

I thank you for the high praises, and we hope all is well back in beautiful Minnesota! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.