Almost not necessary to write a review; if you read (even some of) the previous ones, just about every superlative has already been mentioned. However, will add a few comments of my own.
Stayed at the FQI for four nights on a recent trip to Charleston. It was my first trip and my husband's first non-business trip in many years. Picked the Inn after reading the reviews on TA, and have to agree with everything already said.
Hotel is charming, small (which is a "must" for us), elegant, understated, classy and just perfectly run. E.g.: at breakfast on our first morning we saw a manager walking around the buffet table with a staff member (possibly her first day on the job), pointing out how the table should look, showing her how to properly place the silverware in their napkin cocoons (all nestled in and facing the same way). As he pointed out: "This is what separates us from the other hotels." This exacting attention to detail is obvious throughout the hotel.
There is only one negative, which can easily be fixed. That is the fact that the hotel's address (on Church Street) is NOT the place you need to be in order to check in! Therefore, if you are using a GPS to get there, as we did, you will find yourself at what is really the side of the hotel with no place to pull up in a car. The porte-cochere (entrance drive) is actually around the corner on a small side street. You need to drive past the stated address, and turn into what looks like an alleyway (forgot name, starts with an "L"). We discussed this with the manager; apparently this has been a problem for many people, so they are going to re-do their web site and put a "GPS" address in. But in the meantime, you can ask for the right street when you reserve.
That aside, the hotel is perfect. They poured us champagne while we were checking in. After one night the front desk staff greeted us like we were long-lost relatives at a family reunion; even the maids gave us huge smiles and hellos when we passed. And I'm sure it wasn't only us who got this treatment.
We did not need any help with restaurants, as we had pre-booked before we came. But they were most helpful in recommending a couple of tours and old houses to visit.
Late one night we had a minor problem with a sink that wouldn't drain, I called the desk and they sent one of the valets up within 5 minutes. I knew what to do for a temporary fix, but HE was the one who crawled under the sink and did it; the next day the plumber came while we were out and made the real repair. No fuss, no muss. Just real service.
Our room was on a corner, with a huge terrace with a wrought-iron table for four, plus other chairs with a small table between them. Unfortunately, we were so busy sightseeing (and eating!) that we barely used it; still it was a real plus. We did not manage the wine and cheese each evening, either, but I CAN attest to the fresh-baked cookies at night, not to mention the plain, raisin, almond and ham and cheese croissants each morning.
What more can I say?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The AAA Four Diamond Inn's newly redesigned rooms are inspired by the old world elegance of a Parisian chateau set against the architectural backdrop of Charleston's classic French Quarter. Red medallion-patterned draperies and damask chenille upholstery in hues of black, white and gold create a rich distinction between the fabrics and furniture, of the highest quality.Among many other amenities, guests of the hotel enjoy complimentary items such as: champagne and lady fingers at check-in, an evening wine and cheese reception, freshly baked cookies and milk, evening turn down service and gourmet continental breakfast in the lobby or served to your room. The over-sized guest rooms, some with working fireplaces, private balconies, and whirlpool tubs, provide imagery of an era gone by, but still grants contemporary amenities a sophisticated traveler has come to expect. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your French Quarter Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- French Quarter Hotel Charleston
- French Quarter Charleston
- French Quarter Inn Charleston Sc