“"Ditto"”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Mount Kisco, New York
“"Ditto"”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Almost not necessary to write a review; if you read (even some of) the previous ones, just about every superlative has already been mentioned. However, will add a few comments of my own.
Stayed at the FQI for four nights on a recent trip to Charleston. It was my first trip and my husband's first non-business trip in many years. Picked the Inn after reading the reviews on TA, and have to agree with everything already said.
Hotel is charming, small (which is a "must" for us), elegant, understated, classy and just perfectly run. E.g.: at breakfast on our first morning we saw a manager walking around the buffet table with a staff member (possibly her first day on the job), pointing out how the table should look, showing her how to properly place the silverware in their napkin cocoons (all nestled in and facing the same way). As he pointed out: "This is what separates us from the other hotels." This exacting attention to detail is obvious throughout the hotel.
There is only one negative, which can easily be fixed. That is the fact that the hotel's address (on Church Street) is NOT the place you need to be in order to check in! Therefore, if you are using a GPS to get there, as we did, you will find yourself at what is really the side of the hotel with no place to pull up in a car. The porte-cochere (entrance drive) is actually around the corner on a small side street. You need to drive past the stated address, and turn into what looks like an alleyway (forgot name, starts with an "L"). We discussed this with the manager; apparently this has been a problem for many people, so they are going to re-do their web site and put a "GPS" address in. But in the meantime, you can ask for the right street when you reserve.
That aside, the hotel is perfect. They poured us champagne while we were checking in. After one night the front desk staff greeted us like we were long-lost relatives at a family reunion; even the maids gave us huge smiles and hellos when we passed. And I'm sure it wasn't only us who got this treatment.
We did not need any help with restaurants, as we had pre-booked before we came. But they were most helpful in recommending a couple of tours and old houses to visit.
Late one night we had a minor problem with a sink that wouldn't drain, I called the desk and they sent one of the valets up within 5 minutes. I knew what to do for a temporary fix, but HE was the one who crawled under the sink and did it; the next day the plumber came while we were out and made the real repair. No fuss, no muss. Just real service.
Our room was on a corner, with a huge terrace with a wrought-iron table for four, plus other chairs with a small table between them. Unfortunately, we were so busy sightseeing (and eating!) that we barely used it; still it was a real plus. We did not manage the wine and cheese each evening, either, but I CAN attest to the fresh-baked cookies at night, not to mention the plain, raisin, almond and ham and cheese croissants each morning.
What more can I say?

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to have terraces, but check.
1 Thank Fussbudget07
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Fussbudget07,

I hope all is well back in New York! I am delighted to read that y'all enjoyed your stay so much! The ham and cheese croissants are my favorite too. In regards, to the address for the Inn, we are updating all web channels to give our actually front door address, and I must admit this can be a little confusing for incoming guests.

French Quarter Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I just came back from our anniversary trip to Charleston. We booked the French Quarter after reading the reviews and we were not disappointed. Jenny made us feel right at home and helped us plan for all the wonderful places to eat and things to do. The bed was so comfortable, it was the icing on the cake after a fun filled day. Don't forget to place your order from the pillow menu. OMG! We just couldn't bring ourselves to leave and stayed an extra day. Treat yourself to the French Quarter Inn. It's worth every penny.

Room Tip: We liked 312 for a big bedroom and great view, but 201 was nice too with larger balcony and sitting...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Cindy and Ted H,

Thank you for the great comments about our Inn; it really means a lot to the entire team to hear such high praises! I hope all is well in beautiful NC! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Tennessee
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I attended a business meeting there recently and found the hotel and staff superb. Rooms are lovely, breakfast and refreshments available in the lobby were complimentary and very nice, valet parking (no charge) and a friendly, efficient staff. There are nice terraces and the location is fantastic for walking in the historic section of Charleston.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear RednexTN

I am delighted to read that we made your stay for your business meeting a great one! I also hope all is well in beautiful Tennessee. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Indianapolis
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. The room was warm and a good size. We especially appreciated its location to the Charleston's attractions. The market is next door; the carriage stables are only a block; the restaurants we visited were never more than 2-3 blocks. Since the temp and humidity were both high we were glad to walk only a short distance back to the hotel, and after our two hour walking tour. Initially I preferred to spend less on a hotel but decided that the bountiful breakfasts, and the wine at 5 to 6:30, made the price more realistic. While we like to walk there were times our feet needed a little relief, and we took the bicycle taxi; that worked fine. It cost $4.50 per person for up to 10 minutes, or $9 plus tip per couple. But this added to my appreciation for the central location of the Inn. We especially enjoyed their courtyard for breakfasts and the wine hour. We'll return if we find ourselves in Charleston again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear RetiredHoosiers,

I am delighted to read your great comments about our Inn, and I hope all is well back in beautiful Indiana! It looks that y'all really enjoyed our great location, and many do admit that we have the best location in the best city of the world! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Commack, New York
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Just returned from 4 days at French Quarter. Lovely hotel with a fantastic complementary breakfast, wine and chees in the afternoon and fresh cookies at night! The staff were wonderful and it is in a great location for shopping, restaurants and just strolling. Couldn't be more pleased with our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Paula B,

I hope y'all are well and safe back in New York. I am delighted to read that y'all enjoyed your stay so much and were so pleased! On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Milan
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My employer recently held a meeting in Charleston, SC at the French Quarter Inn. The experience was amazing, from the hotel decor to the friendly, helpful staff. The sales staff was one of the best I have ever worked with. There was never a detail that wasn't handled immediately and always with a smile. It is very centrally located in the Histroic District so dinner, shopping and sightseeing was just steps away. I even had a last minute request to transport the group to dinner and it was again handled with a smile. I would recommend this property to anyone visiting the area for either business or pleasure....you won't go wrong!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
FQIGM, General Manager at French Quarter Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Phyllis T,

On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers. I am delighted to read that y'all enjoyed your meeting retreat so much! I am very proud of our Sales team, so I love to see them being recognized.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel rocks. Not only do they have free breakfast every morning, but they also have wine, cheese, fruit and crackers every day at 5. And to top off that experience, if you are around at 8pm, you'll also get fresh baked cookies and milk. SOOOO, that was the first amazing part of this hotel. The second amazing part is the fact that their beds are THE most comfortable beds i've ever slept in. The pillows are like mini love cradles for my head, and the sheets felt like butter. AMAZING. To top everything off, we had a killer room. The room was huge on its own, but we also lucked out and had our own huge private terrace. We could bring all of the above snacks back to our room and eat them in private!!
BEST HOTEL. oh, and the staff is amazing as well. They were super helpful and really sweet.

Room Tip: I had room 213. expensive, but WELL WORTH IT. private terrace, and in the corner of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear mreenstringbean,

We are absolutely thrilled and honored that we are the "best hotel you have ever stayed in!" It truly keeps our entire team motivated and dedicated to our commitment to excellence, and it means so much to us when we are recognized for our hard work. On behalf of the entire French Quarter Inn team, we greatly appreciate your kind words about our charming inn, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our renowned services to other travelers.

Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family. Remember to “Like” us on Facebook to stay connected with exclusive offerings and current French Quarter Inn enhancements. I hope all is well back in beautiful California, and we hope to see y'all again!