“Another relaxing, comfortable stay”

Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District
Ranked #26 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Asheville, United States
“Another relaxing, comfortable stay”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was the fifth or six time we have stayed at this hotel and we couldn't be happier with the facility, room, staff and service as a whole. From check in to check out, everything was excellent; like coming home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank John B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Hampton Inn in the Historic District met all our expectations. The staff were so friendly and willing to help in every way possible. They made restaurant reservation for us and called taxis whenever we needed them. The FREE trolley was directly across the street and took you any where in Charleston you needed. Our room was spacious and clean. The FREE breakfast had many choices each day. I highly recommend the Hampton Inn. You will enjoy it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JanWaldorf_MD
County Antrim
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife and I and our 20 year old daughter stayed here 3 nights in June 2013 during an extended road trip : Florida and then the Southern States. We absolutely loved the Hampton Inn &Suites here in beautiful Charleston (our first visit). The 3 of us agreed this was probably the best of the 10 hotels we stayed in during our holiday (and we stayed at some great places!). Right from arrival, there was a lovely relaxed helpful check-in. The hotel has a lovely layout and ambiance, our room was so clean with quality furnishings and decor, & breakfast really good. Nice courtyard, with lovely lawn area and enclosed pool. The whole area is peaceful and quiet, we slept like logs every night. Hotel was very easy to drive to, yet so well located: it is only a lovely 10min safe walk right into the heart of beautiful Charleston. And then the friendly staff... we must especially mention "Happy Henry" - a unique tonic for life! This hotel ranks up there among the best in our travels around the world.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room opening out onto the courtyard - and we loved it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sudbury, ON Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Great looking hotel at check-in. Everyone was very helpful and friendly, any questions we had they answered. Nice large rooms, good bed and washroom. Lots of towels etc. Breakfast was included every morning free of charge and safety deposit box at desk free of charge. Free Wi-Fi in rooms. Asked for a fridge and they brought one up with in an hour with a microwave attached on top free of charge. Breakfast was great had so much variety to choose from. Pool was large and water was warm. Close to restaurants, bars and shopping. Free trolley across the street to get to quite a few places in Charleston. Bus around the corner to get to other places. Across the street there is a Visitor Center where you can book all your tours. Very good prices for tours.

Room Tip: stayed on the 5th floor and all was good
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed at the Hampton inn while I was in town having a film premier at the Charleston International Film Festival. We were on a bit of shoe string budget for this trip so wasn't expecting to stay any where super nice. Just wanted a nice clean place that was close to the downtown area so I could explore a little bit and be close to the festivals happenings.

Simply put, I got exactly what I was looking for. It was clean, the room was pretty spacious, and the location was great.

Two problems, the pool was infested with these little beetles, which were harmless. It's not as if the hotel could really doing anything about it either, from what I can tell they fall from this HUGE willow tree that sways above the hotel pool and yard, it makes for a very pretty tree, but the bugs are literally falling from the sky so it's a bit weird and I could've overlooked that if....

The service wasn't so brutal. First off, the cleaning service came into the room with out knocking twice, and both times I was nearly naked, one of which I had just gotten out of the shower, and the second I was waking up in the morning. The next and much more serious issue is an incredibly long and annoying story so for your sake, I'll give the quick and dirty version. My business partner was coming in a couple days after me, the hotel was booked so I asked if they could check availability around town, they said yes and eventually found there was a room at the holiday inn. I said great thanks for checking I'll see if my partner wants it and let you know. End of conversation, at no point did I ask them to hold the room, make a reservation or anything. My partner ends up staying with some family near by and we forget about everything until two days later, when all the sudden my card has 1300 dollars of charges on it from a Holiday Inn that I never reserved a room at. Basically the people at Hampton gave my card information to the Holiday Inn with out telling me and the holiday inn charged me for 4 days of staying there even though I never checked in or made a reservation. After literally two weeks of back and forth and disputing the charges successfully only to have them charge my card AGAIN! I had to cancel my card, get a new one, and file a formal complaint with Hampton Hotels. In the end, Holiday Inn never charged me because I had cancelled the card, and Hampton Inn stood by their "If you're not satisfied with your stay we'll refund you" policy so I was refunded what it cost to stay there which was great, and I applaud them for taking the situation seriously.

At the end of the day they were actually trying to go above and beyond to help me out, and honestly I could've overlooked the whole thing if they had just helped me remedy the fiasco, but they instead told me I "had to deal with the holiday inn", because either they or I was "going to have to pay for the room and wasn't going to be us". I almost blew a fuse when the guy said that to me, I immediately checked out of the hotel and told complained to the hotel manager, who I found out upon complaining to that he was the guy who on the other end of the phone who'd told me that. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. There are plenty of options in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ungano
HotelManagement345, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Historic District, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
I am so sorry to see that you did not enjoy your time in our city and that we may have caused your some troubles while a guest of ours. It is unfortunate that there was miscommunication in the process of helping your colleague and that this caused you any extra work or stress. I am so glad that it was worked out for you and we will continue to go "above and beyond", however we will have a better understanding of the needs in situations like this. Have a wonderful day, and again, we can't apologize enough.

Kevin Eichman
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Unfortunately, I did not have a good experience. First of all, they could not find my booking until I showed my confirmation number. They said that they were giving me a very good room ... I would hate to see the others ... the room smelled moldy and damp and I think the carpet was slightly damp ... it was very musty, do not go if you have allergies of any sort. The location was okay but definitely a walk into the heart of the historic district, which did not bother me, but might for some. The staff was not overly friendly, no one offered to help with our bags, and the parking garage is next door but you haul your own bags in and out of the multi level garage and there is no valet service offered, at least not while we were there. The room was very expensive for what we got. I am returning to Charleston next month and have already booked another hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa171
We were so very sorry to read your review of our hotel and the staff. We strive to provide the best possible service and accomodations to everyone and simply feel awful when that goal is not met. Please call me a the hotel so we can discuss your experience further. We understand that your business has to be earned each time and we'd like another opportunity to do just that.

Kevin Eichman
Lincoln, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The staff was very kind and helpful. Upon check-in we were unexpectedly upgraded! We had a very nice corner room with a sleeper sofa. Fun eating nearby and the desk staff was knowledgeable about them. Rooms were clean and quite. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family