“wonderful stay”

Ranked #26 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
SC
“wonderful stay”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

EVERYONE was so friendly and accomodating! They provided me with a refrig/microwave when asked about a pantry/common refrig to store things I had with me. They also quickly found a better room for the other two guests in my party when the room they were assigned had a funny odor. Just amazing attitude and helpfulness by all employees! Very easy to check in and out, park, access restaurants, sight-seeing, etc.!
The rooms were clean, breakfast wonderful...no complaints!

Room Tip: opposite visitor's center and higher up, but really any room aside from first floor near elevato...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank emmaline410

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Dahlonega, Georgia, United States
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We picked this hotel for our 30th anniversary weekend, and are glad we did. Right downtown close to restaurants, museum, trolley lines, etc., the rooms are particularly nice. The building is old, so the walls are thick and almost impervious to noise. The rooms are spacious, so two people can get ready without crowding. Microwave and fridge, really nice shower, super-comfortable beds, and a radio that works round out the experience. Nice views and a beautiful lobby decorated for Christmas also make it special. For parking, there is a parking garage right run by the city next to the hotel for $14.00 per day. Oh, and paying for the stay with hhonors points? Priceless! My only suggestion would be to add some hash browns to the breakfast offerings.

Room Tip: Fifth floor gets you the nice views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DBM58
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 19, 2012

First, this hotel is located across the street from the FREE trolley stop! You are one block away from tons of shopping and resturants! From this hotel, you are also across the street from the Charleston Visitors Center. This is a beautiful hotel located in the historic district. Chocolate chip cookies were in the lobby every afternoon, and the breakfast in the morning was great! I eat low-carb and I am always worried that only muffins\high carb foods are the only option. Not true here! Eggs and turkey sausage every morning was offered along side the waffles, muffins, yogurt, etc. The breakfast area had plenty of seating, and all staff that I ran into\met were great.
I choose Hampton Inn because the beds are so comfortable, and this stay was on point! The hotel was beautiful, and I enjoyed having the micro\mini fridge in the room to hold the sodas and other snacks. This was my first trip to Charleston, and I will be back to this great city and to this wonderful hotel. Parking was $14 a night, but once you park the car, you take the FREE trolley everywhere! Book here, you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Courtyard views are beautiful! You are in a gated courtyard and you can leave your room through the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MelissaY858
High Point, NC
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. The rooms were clean and well furnished. And, even though we were in the downtown, there was a lovely walled courtyard off of the lobby to allow guests to sit outside in a very nice setting. Best of all was the location -- right at the beginning of the historic district. It was perfect for walking all over the city or hopping on one of the free tour buses that leave from the Visitors Center right across the street. It is also located a block away from King street which is filled with shops and restaurants. We parked our car for three days and never moved it. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank NCLoggerheads
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 14, 2012

First, the bad about this hotel - hot water seems non-existent once the housekeeping staff starts washing sheets/towels in the morning. I slept in the first day and no hot water for shower at 10:30am (or sink). Showered at 8:30am next day and no issue. Checked sink around 10am that morning and it was back to no hot water. So, as long as you don't wait to shower, it's all good.

Location is perfection. Makes it very easy to walk all around the city. Plus, lots of great restaurants nearby. Parking is in an adjacent garage at $14/day. Room size is large. Lobby area is large, has a fireplace and is very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravellinMofo
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel before and was always happy, however this stay was very unpleasant. I will say upfront that the guest services manager has contacted me and refunded all thast was put on my credit card. When we checked in David put us in room 437. We went to put our bags in the room and when we opened the door we were met by a strong mold/mildew odor. We put our bags down and went to explore the city. We came back and it appeared to be worse, so I called the front desk and spoke to David who put us in a room on the 1st floor. The room was adequate, except that at 3:00AM we wokoe up and the roon was 77 degrees! I turned the thermostat down, it was set at 70, to 59 and saw 2 snowflakes appear on the thermostat. When we woke back up, sweating I might add, the room was still at 75. We didn't care at that point as we were chaecking out anyway. My complaint was handled professionally and I appreciate the concern from the guest services manager at the hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MooreMusick
Peachtree City, GA
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I decided to join my husband for a few days in Charleston while he was on business. I arrived late and realized I had left my purse in the cab from the airport. I was left freaking out but the hotel clerk put in contact with the airport and they tracked down my purse for me and had the cab driver bring it back to me at midnight. I stood in the lobby awaiting the cab to come back. As I was on the phone with my husband letting him know what happened a drunken, homeless looking man approched the from desk. He came in from the street. I could not believe it was after midnight and they still had the doors open. Usually when I arrive late, even at suburban location, the doors are locked and I need to be buzzed in. This was a huge saftey concern for me. What if the man had tried to follow me to my room?

About five minutes, another person came down by where the elevators were and became vulgar and irrate at the front desk clerk. He then became vulgar with me and the clerk told him that he could not speak to guests like that and if he did not go to his room, she would have to ask him to leave. He then looked at me and said a few nasty words before heading down the hall.

I asked the clerk if they had security and she said they did not. That really made me think twice about staying there. To be honest, if I were traveling alone; I would have not stayed there.

Our room was OK. The heat would not come on and whomever the man was they sent to our room at 4AM was useless and did not speak English.

The breakfast was better than most Hamptons I have stayed at but I did notice some people come off the street. I have heard great things about Charleston but did not realize it had such a homeless problem. It was sad and depressing.

The only reason I give this place two stars is because of the late night desk clerk. I think her name was, "Pam." She was very quick to act when I told her I left my purse in a cab from the airport. I would also say the breakfast is above average and the lady working the breakfast area was very nice. The other people I saw working were not as nice and friendly. However, there was an elderly bellhop that seemed in very good spirits.

I would not stay here as a female traveling alone, nor would I recommend groups of women staying here. The location isn't safe and the fact they have no security in a downtown location is concerning. I could not believe they did not even lock the doors at night.

I am glad I wasn't paying for the room. I would not have stayed. I would not have felt safe without my husband and I travel a lot for business without him.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple