“Nice experience”

Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Las Cruces, NM
“Nice experience”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed several nights while attending a tennis event. The staff was helpful and friendly. Our first room was too close to the maids quarters. In spite of being full for the weekend they found us a "quieter" room (I am a very light sleeper). The rooms were clean and well kept. The free breakfast was more than adequate. We will stay here again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get on the top floor
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Henry4218

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 6, 2011

This hotel provided just what I needed as noted in the title. I was on the third floor near the staircase, but never heard anyone going in or out. Never saw any "roaches" (Palmetto bugs?) as other people have noted. Don't know if this was due to the time of year or the higher floor room. The bed was plenty comfortable with a wide assortment of pillows to choose from.

I had no neighbors the first night, so it was super quiet. No idea if anyone was above me, but I never heard them. Second night I heard neighbors to the right of me as I stood outside my door, but once inside the room, I couldn't hear a thing. Later I did hear an awful clatter on the adjoining wall, but I figure something was accidentally dropped or scraped against it. Heard nothing more all night. I'd say the insulation in this building is quite good.

The gal at the front desk was pleasant when I checked in. I had no further interaction with management, so I can't really comment more. I also did not check out the breakfast because I was too busy the first morning and was in a hurry to leave the second.

I was in town for a Mount Pleasant triathlon and this location was convenient for that. It took 20 minutes to get to the race start in the morning. Convenient freeway access to Isle of Palms, Charleston, and Mount Pleasant. The island itself was very quiet the weekend I was there. Not many people out and about near the restaurants and shopping when I did venture out.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank mschuliger
Topeka
Reviewed March 23, 2011

The manager & the daytime desk clerks were not accommodating at all. I asked about nearby restaurants, shopping. I got a list of upscale restaurants - none of which were nearby. I went out walking & found several little restaurants nearby & 2 grocery stores with delis. When i asked for a late check out (when I checked in) & offered to pay extra for it, they got really upset with me. I ended up sleeping on the couch in the lobby with all my luggage around me for 4 hours. Looked like a homeless person...nearly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank IAwildrose56
Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Was here for business related software training nearby on the island. Great location, easy to get to downtown and right next to my classes. There is an ok restaurant next door - wasn't too impressed but didn't have time to go downtown every night. The shuttle service is a big plus and I really appreciated the driver's local knowledge of nightlife. The gym was ok - everything I needed but a little cramped for space. Rooms were very clean and dry - with the humidity outside it was a nice difference!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank CaptCaribbean
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed on the first floor and went into the bathroom to get changed and the guy in the room next door was yelling through the vent in the bathroom (above the sink) to us. It scared us and we don't know for sure but think he had a camera looking at us, because when we cracked open the bathroom door, he whispered "psst" to us. CREEPY!!!! We promptly went to the front desk and the clerk switched our room, but be forwarned the vents are an area that should be evaluated. Hopefully the clerk reported it to the management.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chas9876
Elgin, SC
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Stayed here to attend a Charleston Battery game. Hotel is beautiful, service is great, location is perfect.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Easley, SC
Reviewed July 24, 2010

1) Crowds: The hotel was packed to capacity with a Little League baseball tournament in town. Pool was swamped with kids and the galley style breakfast serving area was like a feeding frenzy. Had to eat breakfast on sofa with plate in my lap. This hotel wasn't design to handle this many people in these smaller spaces.
2) Bugs: Stayed for two nights and then found roach in our room. Talked with manager and went back to room. Found a Silverfish bug. They sprayed. Later that night, found large palmetto bug (roach) in room again. Couldn't switch rooms (full house) and they couldn't find us another hotel we could move to in local area. So we stayed in the roach motel.
Pluses: Nice hotel staff, Restaurant next door is great, location is great and great to travel to different areas of Charleston, Daniel Island is a wonderful little community. Large towels at pool.
Negatives: Awful when at capacity. No movie options on TV. Galley style kitchen is easily overcrowded and not enough seating for full house.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family