1,762 results
All reviews historic district king street within walking distance marriott properties rocking chairs restaurant reservations fort sumter marion square walked everywhere few blocks hotel is in a great location holiday inn meeting street housekeeping staff market street southern hospitality concierge
Selected filters
Reviewed May 5, 2016

A very enjoyable stay in a very nice hotel. The beds were very comfortable and the (two queen) room was a good size. We had a balcony but didn’t really make much use of it. The swimming pool was quiet and pleasant.
The hotel has a large Starbucks restaurant off the lobby, run by very nice staff and a large piazza at the front for guests to relax on. There is an ATM and a small shop for supplies. Housekeeping were very good and reception staff and doormen were excellent, acknowledging us every time we came back to the hotel.
The location is very good, with many shops and restaurants within easy walking distance, as well as stops for the free trolley. A lovely feature was the three big panels of jasmine on the side of the hotel. Coming back to the hotel in the evening along Meeting Street, you were greeted by its delicate fragrance.
So a very nice hotel and the only things I missed were a room safe and bathrobes. I love a bathrobe!
However the thing I really miss now is Kevin the concierge. Reviews of the hotel will suggest the concierge service is outstanding. It is!
My daughter and I are pretty independent travellers. We don’t take walking tours or join groups, preferring to do our own research and ‘wing it’. So how did we end up having the best time in Charleston on an organised walking tour, a culinary walking tour, a plantation visit and a group black history tour? Not to mention reservations at restaurants we hadn’t planned on. One word – Kevin!
I didn’t have the pleasure of meeting Andrea, the other concierge, but if she’s any sort of female Kevin, they must make a formidable team.
We only stopped at the concierge desk for a restaurant recommendation on the evening we arrived. Half an hour later we had a full week of activities, with detailed instructions, maps and brochures. We were frankly sceptical about a couple of the things we had agreed to, but Kevin knows you better than you know yourself and we enjoyed and benefited from every one of them. And you must trust his wisdom and experience: if he tells you to do things in a certain order, do them in that order. Kevin knows!
If we ever manage to get back to Charleston, Courtyard Marriott Historic District is where we’ll stay.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Hambleton
Reviewed May 3, 2016

This is my second time staying at the Courtyard Historic District. This visit was just as wonderful as my last. I was in Charleston to attend my college reunion at the College of Charleston. This hotel is within walking distance of the college which is the primary reason I chose this hotel. The staff were absolutely amazing as I remember from my last stay. Everyone was very nice and cordial from the front desk staff to the staff in the quick service location. The room was kept very clean and I had a wonderful view of downtown Charleston and Charleston harbor from my room on the 6th floor. I can't wait to return to this hotel for a future visit.

Room tip: 6th floor rooms have a great view of downtown/Charleston harbor.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank BeachBumSC
Reviewed April 28, 2016

We had a wonderful experience staying here. Much more than I ever expected from a Courtyard. The staff, without exception, was very friendly and helpful. Kevin McQuade made our trip. He suggested great restaurants (and got us reservations) and tours. He suggested a great walking tour of the City, a wonderful kayak trip and a plantation visit. We topped it off completing our long weekend with a terrific brunch at Hall's Chophouse--another Kevin suggestion. I don't think I've ever experienced someone who loved his job so much! There was a bit of a wait to see him. The bellman saw us leaving after waiting a bit and suggested we give it a few more minutes--that we wouldn't be disappointed. He was right!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2016 via mobile

Was at the hotel for a small conference. The hotel was clean and the staff was good.

The only reason I can't give this hotel a 5 is that there were a couple of maintenance items on my bathroom. They were minor but I would have expected them to have been repaired.

I would stay there again for business.

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2016

Very good hotel for the center of the city. Close location to everything and easy to park, although parking was an extra charge per day. The concierge was quite helpful. The bed was very comfortable, which I reported upon checking out.

Room tip: My room was far from the elevator and had a street view.
Date of stay: March 2016