“Great Hotel and Concierge Extraordinaire”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #26 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Selected this hotel for its location in historic Charleston & our favorable past experiences with Marriott...and for the reputation of its chief concierge Kevin. Expectations were exceeded!!! The hotel was conveniently located for walking to historic sites and restaurants, hotel decor was crisp & modern, room was comfortably appointed, staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. But the most amazing experience was Kevin. He was our first stop after checking in and well worth it! Kevin interviewed our 4-person traveling party as to our interests, and after a few questions and suggested options, expertly arranged our 2-day / 3-night stay in Charleston with excellent walking tours, delightful restaurants, and a truly unique personalized experience of historic Charleston. His comprehensive service, knowledge of Charleston and its amenities, and passion for his craft were remarkable...and totally fun to experience!!! Highly recommend this hotel and Kevin -- the concierge extraordinaire!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Clean room with awesome balcony view. Bed was super comfortable and would definitely stay there again. Hotel is downtown Charleston right in the middle of it all. Friendly staff and overall a great experience! The location and the price point make this hotel a no brainer if your looking for a hotel in downtown Charleston.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Service: Flawless
Ambiance: Unrivaled
Location: Any more in the center of things and you'd be sitting on top of the statue of Frank Marion - Andre the Giant looks on this spot with jealous eyes.
Now let's get down to brass tacks: I really have to give it to the Charleston Courtyard. Not only did the staff go out of their way to make our Fourth something we will be talking about for a long time, but the hotel's physical attributes only enhanced our pleasure. Great views, solid breakfasts, and a surprisingly hopping pool scene. One of the managers of the hotel, Grant Hoskins, took extra special care of making sure that we were always smiling.

Will I be coming back? Uh, yes

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Calhoun or Meeting are recommended.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2014

First off, the reason why I picked this hotel was because of all the rave reviews regarding the concierge, Kevin. He did not disappoint! I called him a few weeks before our arrival to get his opinion on things my husband and I should do while in Charleston. He actually set up a conference call with both my husband and I, so he could get both of our likes/dislikes on tours, restaurants etc. Kevin did NOT disappoint!!! Every single restaurant he made us reservations for were absolutely delicious. If I had to pick my favorite 2 out of all the ones we visited it would be Macintosh and Cru Cafe. As far as activities, Kevin set us up with a fabulous walking tour of Charleston and an out of this world private boat ride to Morris Island where we got to see dolphins up close and personal, along with catching a glimpse of a huge sea turtle! Along with that, the operator of the boat was extremely knowledgeable with the ecosystems there and gave us fantastic information. But the cherry on top of our entire trip was our private walking tour with Kevin. On his own personal time he took my husband and I on a night tour off all the mansions and neighborhoods in Charleston, it was an extremely memorable and magical experience. It was one of my favorite things I have EVER EVER EVER done. My husband and I have traveled quite a bit and have NEVER gotten that kind of top notch service from a concierge like Kevin provided. He is single-handedly the most important asset to this Marriott. If you are going to Charleston you MUST stay here and you MUST meet Kevin! I could go on and on about his personalized maps of running trails, bathrooms in the city, best places to take pictures, etc. He is truly dedicated. You may have to wait and minute or 2 to speak with him but that's only because he is providing someone with the best customer service and you can be sure he will give you that same courtesy.
As far as the hotel itself -it was your standard Courtyard - very clean and rooms on a little bit of the smaller side. The location is A+ -You can literally wall to anywhere in town!
But don't forget, before you walk anywhere, get the key to the city from Kevin :)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My parents and I stayed here on our recent trip to Charleston. I would have preferred to stay at a different hotel but my mom said she really liked staying at Courtyard Marriots so I went ahead and booked this hotel through Orbitz. We were under the impression that our room was going to be larger than it was and when I asked the girl at the front desk she informed me that you "can't book suites on third party websites" and that "we could call Orbitz" and discuss it with them. My parents and I decided to let it go rather than wasting time on the hotel room. Additionally, the room cards kept malfunctioning and we had to get them rescanned at the front desk everyday that we were there. The electrical outlet in the bathroom did not work. My parents tried to use the laundry room and after they washed their clothes they discovered that the dryer did not work. The front desk told them that was the only washer and dryer for the entire hotel so we had to drip dry our clothes in the hotel room. I thought the rates were too high for this sub-standard hotel and would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Angela H
GHoskins, Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Angela H,

Thank you for offering us feedback on your recent trip from California.

You are correct in that we do not offer our suites for a discounted price through Orbitz. Our suites are available online through Marriott.com or by calling the hotel directly at 843-805-7900. We do offer our normal room types through the Orbitz website at a discounted price based on availability.

I am very sorry to hear about the maintenance issues you experienced with your wall outlet and the dryer in our guest laundry area. I can definitely understand how not being able to dry your clothes immediately would be frustrating. Our engineering team has addressed both of these issues and the dryer is now working properly.

We would love the opportunity to show you the service and experience we do offer at our hotel in the future. If you are ever headed back to Charleston please contact me directly at grant.hoskins@interstatehotels.com before making a reservation.

Thank you for your business and I hope you enjoyed your time in Charleston!

Grant Hoskins
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying 3 nights at the Courtyard Marriott in Downtown Charleston, and I must say that it was one of the best hotel experiences I’ve ever had.
The hotel staff could not have been friendlier; catering to our every need, including a somewhat late request for extra pillows! Everyone from the front desk staff, to hotel bartenders, and even management were eager to help out with questions about their favorite sightseeing, dining locations, and lively local clubs. All information was relayed with a smile and left you with the sense that they really cared about your stay in Charleston!
The rooms are immaculate, and equipped with everything you could need for a great stay in Charleston (we had a balcony!). As soon as you enter the lobby you receive that euphoric “ahh moment” that signifies your vacation has begun, but it doesn’t end there. The inside corridors leading to the rooms put you immediately at ease with a faint smell of vanilla, which makes you want to go straight down to the courtyard pool. Grab a drink from bar and lay out at the pool where you feel as though you’ve been transported to grounds of a southern mansion!
I cannot wait to visit Charleston again, not only because I love the city so much, but I know that I can stay at a hotel that matches this city’s uniqueness, elegance and southern hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask if they have a Meeting Street room with a balcony available!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank TommyScat
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The service at this hotel is 5 star. The staff from front desk to housekeeping was amazing. The best is the concierge who knows every nook and cranny of Charleston. If you have a question, he can answer it. It was a safe, reasonable walk to S. Market and the battery. We also used bike taxis and regular taxis a bit for getting around. Very convenient.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family