“Pleasant Stay in Charleston” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Charleston Historic District

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Vaughan, Canada
“Pleasant Stay in Charleston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

The Courtyard Marriott in Charleston is centrally located, allowing a pleasant walk to many of the main attractions of this very interesting city.
While the cost/night was a bit high - there are many RBYO options that are in the same price range - the hotel is very well kept, the rooms are a nice size and the amenities are fine.
One thing I found very strange were the little pillows provided - they were ridiculously small.

Room Tip: ask for an inner court room to ensure a quiet room
1 Thank Alan S
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Alan S,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your recent trip from Canada.

Our location does provide for a very pleasant stay and easy access to so many of the attractions, history, and restaurants available in Charleston. I hope you were able to visit a number of these during your time here and am glad to hear the cleanliness and size of our rooms met your expectations. We will definitely re-evaluate the size of the pillows we offer as a good pillow is crucial to our guests enjoying their stay with us.

Thank you for your business and we hope you will choose our hotel on your next trip to Charleston!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I will get to the review of the Courtyard itself, but let me say that a big part of why we chose this particular hotel was because of all the great things I had heard about Kevin. I had been wanting to visit Charleston for a long time (like 7 years!), and in my research, I kept hearing about Kevin and his ability to show visitors the true Charleston. For that many years, people have been raving about him. Well, suffice it to say that we were not disappointed. We called Kevin a couple of days before our arrival because I wasn’t sure how much time he would have to devote to us when we got there and I wanted to give him some lead time. The last thing we wanted to do on vacation is wait on line to talk to the concierge when we really wanted to get out and explore the city. During our telephone conference, Kevin basically interviewed us. He asked what we liked to do on vacation, what we liked to eat, what kind of experience we were looking for, why we were coming down, whether we would have a car, and on and on. He did a great job of getting to know us as best he could in a short period of time and then gave us basically two options for each of our two-day visit, as well as a number of restaurants to choose from. He managed to get us a reservation on such short notice to Husk, which I understand to be quite difficult if one were just calling up cold. He told us about a true hole-in-the wall local haunt for the most delicious fried chicken and lima beans I’ve ever had. We were traveling with our 4 ½ year old daughter, so he suggested things that would allow us a true Charleston experience, but would be interesting for her, as well. Specifically, he suggested a self-guided bike tour rather than a walking tour one afternoon (so she wouldn’t tire out), and an eco-tour of the barrier islands on the other (very educational and interesting for her…we saw dolphins and crabs and were brought to a barrier beach accessible only by boat). Both suggestions were spot on, and he took care of all of the reservations as well. We were honored to be asked by Kevin if we were interested in a nighttime walking tour of Charleston led by him personally on his own time. Of course we said yes! It was such a magical experience, and one we NEVER would have gotten if we had not stayed at the Courtyard. Our daughter, being a city kid, is used to staying up late, so she was able to enjoy it, too. We felt like we got a glimpse of the real Charleston during our visit. Kevin even gave us suggestions about the next stop on our trip, Asheville NC, and a visit to the Biltmore Estate, which saved us time and frustration. Really, there are not enough superlatives about Kevin, and we are not the only ones who think so, as the reviews attest, and his recent receipt of a prestigious hospitality award is evidence!
As for the hotel itself, it is conveniently located and is a clean, new Courtyard. If you are familiar with Marriott properties, you will find this to be on par with other newly-renovated Courtyards. The rest of the staff was friendly and helpful, as are all Charlestonians, really. What delightful people. The hotel is right across from a park and has a nice heated pool which we took advantage of on a warmer day. My only complaint during my stay is that the bar didn't open until 5pm. One of the things I like to do on vacation is relax in the afternoon with a drink, by the pool if it is warm enough. So the lack of a bar open in the afternoon was a drawback for me. Of course, Marriott’s quality control ensured that no matter where you stay, a Courtyard experience is pretty much going to be the same from location to location…with one notable exception – Kevin at the Charleston Courtyard!

Room Tip: We had a room that faced calhoun street and had a view of a little garden across the street adn the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Babola123
Dear Babola123,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us on your trip from New York.

Wow! It sounds like you took full advantage of Kevin and the unbelievable suggestions he has to offer. He really does an incredible job of getting to know our guests and using this information to offer suggestions specifically tailored to their personalities. Many concierges just offer standard recommendations, but Kevin's success lies in the fact that he can ask the right questions to really get down to the bottom of what our guests are looking for. I agree that the self guided bike tour is a great way to see Charleston as well due to the fact that it can extend your tour of the city.

We hope your return trip to Charleston will not be as delayed and that you will choose to stay with us once again.

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott for a couple of nights, including St. Patrick's Day. The location near Marion Square was just a short walk to the Upper King Street festivities, and walking distance to the historic center. The price was $168/night for our room, negotiated on Priceline, but that did not include fees, taxes and $18/night parking, which brought the price up. The room was nice, about what you would expect from Marriott -- not huge, but a comfortable bed, plenty of electrical outlets, free wireless, decent bathroom. Best of all, the staff -- everyone from the housekeepers to the receptionists -- were so friendly. One big downside: there is no continental breakfast included. Instead, there is a cafeteria-style breakfast, with a long, slow line and high-price food that was marginal at best. For this reason alone, I downgraded my rating for this hotel. Skip this pricey breakfast and go on to one of Charleston's fun breakfast places, like Toast or Hominy Grill.

1 Thank indymama1
Dear IndyMama1,

Thank you for your feedback and for being a Senior Contributor on TripAdvisor.

A friendly staff is always something we want people to say about our hotel and we are glad you find our entire staff to be so accommodating. It sounds like you were able to enjoy a number of the room amenities as well to include our comfortable beds, numerous electrical outlets, free wireless, and spacious bathrooms.

Our food & beverage team will definitely use your feedback to improve our offerings for breakfast in the mornings to ensure that the problems you experienced do not occur again.

Thank you for business and we hope to see you in Charleston again soon!

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

The property was within easy walking distance of everything we wanted to do. Our room was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The concierge also had great information and tips that we took advantage of. Looking forward to a return trip to Charleston.

1 Thank J_Urban
GHoskins, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear J_Urban,

Thank you for your feedback and for being a Senior Reviewer on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear that you had such a nice stay at our hotel. Our location makes it easy to access everything you would ever want to do in Charleston and I am glad you found our rooms to be just what you were looking for. I will make sure your kind words about our staff get passed along to them and we will be awaiting your return to Charleston!

calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Great location within walking distance of key Charleston tourist activities. Exceptional service in directing guests to great spots and hidden locations within the historic district. Room clean but had a weird odor. Restaurant sub par. Often closed for private functions. Food prep was done on the open and staff member wiped nose and touched her hair several times during food prep.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank annabellecalgary
Dear annabellecalgary,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am glad we were able to get you setup with the hidden places you must see in Charleston and that you found our location to be very accessible to all of these.

I want to apologize for the issues you experienced in our restaurant and can assure you that we have addressed these with our team, so that they do not occur again. The quality of our food is something we take very seriously and we have taken the necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen again. Our restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner, but is frequently rented out for events during lunch. Our front desk staff is always willing to offer up a great recommendation for lunch or a quiet place to get some work done.

Thank you for your business and we hope you will allow us to show you the level of service we do offer on your next trip to Charleston.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Let me start by saying that we are loyal to the Marriott Brand...Platinum member, own a Marriott timeshare, Marriott credit card. We are familiar with the various categories of hotels and know what to expect at each different level. I was disappointed with our recent stay at the Courtyard Charleston. Knowing that we were coming in on a very busy weekend (College of Charleston Admitted Students Weekend) and that would be arriving very late (after midnight), I contacted the hotel days before our arrival to advise them of our late arrival time and asked them to please assign us a room that would fulfill our accommodation requests. We arrived very late and very tired. Our request was simple, a room with 2 queen beds. At check-in we were informed that the room that was reserved for us had a queen bed and a pull out sofa. Not willing to accept this, we wrangled with the gentleman at guest services for some time. I was told that if I insisted on having 2 Queen beds, the only room available was a handicapped accessible room. Not satisfied but having no other choice, we took this room. Besides being a modified room, it was located next to the elevator and overlooked the parking lot. It took my daughter and I a few minutes to figure out how to use the modified shower. She showered and we both settled in for the night. At almost 1am we got a call from the front desk telling us that the first room that was assigned to us actually did have 2 Queen beds as we had originally requested and we could move to that room. Tired and frustrated, we got dressed, packed up and moved to the correct room. That room (#240) overlooked the street and was very noisy at night. The carpet must have been recently shampooed because it was damp all weekend. The room could have used some freshening up - torn wallpaper, nicked furniture, sad bedding. I know what to expect at a Courtyard property and this did not meet my expectations. Additionally, we were paying a discounted rate of $300 per night which is pricey for a Courtyard.

On a better note, the highlights of this property and our experience were:
- Bistro in hotel is convenient and served a wonderful breakfast
- Convenient parking on property (still at $18 per day for self park)
- Location, Location, Location...1/2 block from TD Arena at C of C and walking distance to everything you could want or need. We parked our car on Friday night and never got back in the car until it was time to drive back to the airport on Sunday.

If my daughter chooses to attend C of C, then the truth is that we will be frequent guests at this property simply because of its close proximity to the campus. I am writing this review with the hope that someone at the hotel may actually pay attention to what has been said. With regard to most of the other reviews, they all give big praise for the Concierge service at the hotel. While that is a wonderful amenity to offer, the basics of the hotel must be up to par.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Phyllis310
Dear Phyllis310,

Thank you for your feedback and for being a loyal Marriott Customer.

I want to apologize for the service issues you experienced during your stay and for not meeting yours-or-our expectations of our hotel. I can completely understand how the room issue would have been frustrating after traveling all day and arriving late at night. This is something we never want our guests to go through and an issue we will address immediately with our PM staff to ensure that it does not happen again. We have many College of Charleston families that stay with us visit after visit and really enjoy all of the wonderful amenities we have to offer. I am glad you were able to enjoy the location, parking, and our Bistro Restaurant for breakfast during your stay. Please contact me directly at grant.hoskins@interstatehotels.com when planning your next trip to Charleston and I will make sure you are well taken care of.

Thank you for business and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to the opportunity to show you the experience we do offer at our hotel in the near future.

River Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

Kevin McQuade is amazing! I have traveled far and wide and have not met another concierge who took so much interest in planning awesome experiences for my husband and me. He took our plans and accelerated them. He provided unique ideas on restaurants, walking tours, and must see items in Charleston. These recommendations were completely different from the standard travel guides. He truly exceeded my husband and my expectations! It made for a wonderful trip and experience in Charleston. I highly recommend the hotel and Kevin’s service.

1 Thank Kim F