WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Courtyard Charleston Historic District

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Miami, Fl.
“Nice, comfortable, and close to historic district.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here 2 days at the end of July 13'. Very nice hotel, but they do charge $16 per day for parking. Not sure they needed to charge this much. Use to be a holiday inn and the parking was free. But the hotel is nice and the staff is friendly. The rates for being so close to the Historic district were reasonable. The hotel is located across from a church in a safe area. One small incident we experienced during our stay, we had returned to our room in the evening after being out all day, and just wanted to relax in our room, but the room hadn't been serviced, but to the credit of the staff, they got it cleaned, and took care of us for breakfast the next morning, so kudos to them. Would recommend to anyone visiting Historic Charleston.

1 Thank maxfly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Arrived late, around 10PM on July 27th for a 2 night stay and check in was a breeze. On the downside, the lobby bar closes at 10PM, so if you want to unwind with a drink after a day of traveling you either need to walk a couple of blocks to the nightlife area or chose from the Courtyards selection of beverages and snacks (although I would advise walking across the street to the mini-mart at the gas station for a much better and cheaper selection.

The lobby, room and hotel in general had a modern feel to it. There was an okay exercise room and an outdoor pool which was busy on Sunday.

We decided on one of the free AAA walking tours, the Battery tour, after first checking out the Fort Sumter visitor center, which is worth a look and next door to the aquarium (both a short distance from the hotel). The hotel is not located directly in the historic area, however this is a short walk as well. I would recommend taking a tour, whether walking or guided, which will give you a good sense of the city and then you can decide on further touring/visiting areas that may have peaked your interest.

We had dinner at Halls Chophouse which is also only a couple of blocks away and in an area with a variety of what looked like many other finer dining establishments.

All in all the hotel was as expected for this tier of a hotel with nothing really sticking out as good or bad.

Room Tip: We had a room along Meeting St facing the pool which was fine, although it was a long distance from...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank umass123
Mahomet
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I gave this hotel a low score because I feel that I was mislead on the phone by the reservation person. We were PROMISED a room in the new section and IN FACT were charged a higher rate to get that room. ( on the phone ) However when we got there we were NOT in the new section, the desk said that WAS the room we paid for at that price. I wish I had a recording of the initial call. I think it was because we arrived very late - EVEN THOUGH I called and indicated that we would be there late so please hold the room for us. We were staying two nights and I think due to the high volume in the hotel they just gave our initial room away. Having said that I did like the hotel and the location was decent. Our room for 4 was a bit tight but we had a large bathroom and a balcony on the 6th floor. The pool was nice and the concierge was helpful getting us an organic restaurant that we loved! I might stay here again but I think I would have to battle the front desk to get the "new" section!

Room Tip: Request the new section
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were looking for a moderately priced hotel in the historical district. We were so pleased with the Courtyard Marriott....the hotel was very clean and well appointed. Service was excellent...especially the concierge, which I did not expect at a hotel at this price point. And the location was just what we wanted....within walking distance to all the attractions in the historical district. We stayed at this moderately priced hotel for a few days, then traveled to Hilton Head Island to stay at a "luxury" resort (Omni) on the beach. However, it turns out the room, service, staff, etc. at the Marriott far exceeded our experience at the luxury resort!

1 Thank Kay F
Hanoverton, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

First visit to Charlotte and I booked one night here because of the reviews. I want to mention I am a Marriott Rewards member and always stay at Marriott hotels. I asked for early check in and I guess I should've given the maid service more time because Our room smelled like cigarette smoke and our bathroom floor was filthy. I am easily grossed out by seeing other people's hairs left in the bathroom and the floor was covered! There were also foot prints on the floor. I stopped at front desk to let them know our bathroom was dirty and they said they could not move us but they could send the maid service back in while we were out. We later returned (5) hours later to find they had not cleaned our room yet. When I contacted the front desk I was told they were busy and will get to it soon. I also stopped to see Kevin, the hotel concierge that everyone raved about. I felt like he was rushing us through our questions, and when I told him the name of the ghost tour I had booked through a groupon, he told me that it wasn't the best one to do. He knew of a better one. He also had negative comments about the restaraunt I booked for dinner, and put two menus in front of us and said they were his top two and we needed to decide right then if we wanted him to make reservations for one of those places because they fill up fast. They were both very pricey. Then he tried to get us to book bikes for the afternoon to get around. I told him I had a carriage ride booked for that day and he said well call and move it to tomorrow. He tried to do this 3 times, and I in ally told him I wast changing the time for the carriage rid! I felt he rushed through everything he went over with us, he was negative about any suggestions I had and was very pushy and booking things he suggested. So glad we didn't do bikes, we manged just fine without them, and no one really rents them. One more thing, parking is a joke, paid 16 for parking and we ended up parking at the front of the hotel because everything was full. I will not stay here again if I visit Charlotte. It's a subpar Marriott and dirty. So over priced for what you get.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank scale32
Spartanburg, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The concierge is a really nice touch, and the lobby is well appointed with the ability to get food and drinks. It is convenient to everything if you don't mind walking 10-20 minutes, if you don't want to walk, cabs and rickshaws are available quickly. The good report stops there. The hallways are hot' and the room smelled musty. Our room did not get serviced while we were out, and the front desk staff seemed put out that we brought it up at 7pm, when we came in to get ready for dinner. When I questioned the $16 a day parking charge in my bill, even though we parked at the church across the street, I was met with a less than pleasant explanation of how that is considered "on the property" parking. I get that, no big deal, the condensing and argumentative tone, was challenging. I spend 129 nights a year in hotels, Platinum with Marriott, will feel treated this poorly less than twice a year.

Room Tip: Set low expectations, you will be okay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ChangingPlans
Arcata, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The Courtyard Historic District is well worth consideration for a family stay in Charleston. The rooms are large with 2 queen size beds, and just enough space for a family of 4 to feel comfortable. The bathroom is OK but nothing special although it included Paul Mitchell hair products (a nice touch). The lobby contained everything one needs: a business center, a place to grab a bite, a small pool, complimentary morning coffee (almost drinkable). It is clean and feels fairly new. Beds are adequate, I have definitely slept on worse.

Service was fine although the concierge wasn't really interested unless you were willing to hear his entire sales pitch (which we weren't).

The location is convenient, close to, but not in the middle of everything. It is an easy walk to all the downtown attractions like the King Street Shopping District, The Battery District, the Waterfront, the French Quarter and the Aquarium. There is also a free trolley service that stops right in front of the hotel although we found it so unreliable it was easier to walk.

If I have a single beef it is that they need another, or at least faster elevators. We spent a lot of time waiting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family