“Great location!”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was a perfect place for our family to stay-- We visited Charleston for the weekend in July. The hotel met all of our needs. We requested a rollaway bed and they had it there for us quickly. The rooms have a refrigerator. There is not a safe in the room which would have been nice. Parking is scarce but there is a lot across the street to use. The concierge, Kevin, is as good as they say--take time to let him help you with suggestions! I called him on my way in on a Friday, and he quickly returned my call to chat with me and offer suggestions even though it was last minute, and I knew he was probably very busy. He set up a walking tour on Saturday morning for our family of 5 (kids ages 17,15 and 12) with Ed Macy, who was wonderful! We really enjoyed it and I would recommend it for families with teenagers! He was great! The hotel is across the street from the Farmers Market which was fun to go to on Saturday morning before our tour-lots of food and craft booths. We were able to walk to dinners (Halls Chophouse, Mellow Mushroom, Magnolias) and great shopping, so the location was ideal. (East Bay deli was good too...we drove there on our way out Sunday) The Marriott provided hot coffee each morning in the lobby and there is a place to order breakfast food if you want it- which we did not need. My 12 year old also enjoyed swimming one afternoon for an hour and they offered drink service by the pool that day.( It is small courtyard type pool, but he still enjoyed it.)
We would definitely stay here again if we return to Charleston although it was expensive-- Great trip!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Charleston Historic District

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The first time we stayed at this property about 6-7 years ago it was a Holiday Inn and we chose it because a friend had stayed there and raved about the concierge (more about Kevin later). We recently spent four nights at this Marriott. I would say there is nothing spectacular about the hotel, but it is perfectly fine for a visit to historic Charleston. It has been renovated since it was a Holiday Inn and it is bright, clean and modern. The staff was friendly and helpful. Some might say that the hotel would ideally be located a few blocks closer to the historic district, but there are now shops and restaurants north of Calhoun, which places this hotel in a more central location. For my wife and me, it was a pleasant walk from the hotel all the way through the historic district to the battery. We didn't move the car except for a couple of excursions outside of downtown Charleston.

The hotel pool and fitness center are adequate for most needs. The outdoor pool is on the smaller side but fine for families with kids who want to splash around. It's convenient having the Bistro in the hotel but it is pricey. $3 for a 20 oz. Gatorade that would probably retail for less than half that price at most places.

What sets this hotel apart is Kevin McQuade, the chief concierge. We were lucky to catch up with Kevin on Sunday night when we arrived because he works Thursday-Sunday. (I'm sure the other concierge is good as well but we did not deal with her.) Kevin takes his job VERY seriously and knows Charleston inside and out. He won't recommend a restaurant or activity that he hasn't experienced himself. We took his advice on two restaurants for dinner, a kayaking tour, an eco boat tour and a walking tour, and all were excellent. His map of Charleston's public restrooms (with rankings) was very helpful. (I used the one he rated as the "Cadillac of Charleston's restroom fleet" and it was very nice!) He will provide a map of places not to be missed, as well as a map of the best photo ops ... complete with the best time of day and how to frame the shot. Be sure to see Kevin when you first arrive to maximize your visit.

Overall this hotel is a good value and conveniently located.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This review is based on 2 things for comparison: I am a Platinum Premier member, and I just got through with 4 months in a Courtyard in East Madison, WI., which I gave 5 stars for.

The highlight is location and the concierge, Kevin. Location because you can walk to the historic district easily, and to the Aquarium area. Kevin because he nailed it for reserving us a table at Coast Bar & Grill, and the Eco Tour. He missed it on Ted's Butcher, though, which is a poor example of a deli. Still no Courtyard has a Kevin that I have ever heard of in my travels. Kevin belongs more in a Ritz, which is where I am as I write this review.

The Courtyard room is below average, worth 2 stars. Any worse and I would have got my points back. Nothing was broke, though. Do not expect any views or anything special here. It will be below average, even though the Front Desk clerk said he was giving me the very best room he had because of my status.

The service is typical of a lot of Courtyards but way below any of the staffers that I dealt with for the last 4 months. What is funny is that the initial lady recognize that I was a top Marriott customer, in the top 3%, and had me wait a couple hours for my room. Then when I came back, I was passed to another person that recognized the status and had me wait more, and then finally they pass me to a third person, a guy working evening shift. This guy was a joke. Again recognized my status and starting working his magic to get me the best room. Then got it, had my hopes up, then said he lost it. He then got me the next best. If this was the best, then I would have given them 2 stars for anything worse and demanded my points back.

In all, I will never stay here again, and hopefully Kevin goes to a nicer Marriott brand.

I stayed July 26-28.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank John L
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Very nice hotel in a convenient location to historic Charleston. Spent a Friday through Sunday and I was disappointed in the lack of service for the cost of this hotel.

Friday evening I discovered that the television and remote did not work. I didn't want anyone in my room Friday night so Saturday morning before I left, I called the front desk to have it fixed. When I returned Saturday afternoon, it still didn't work. The front desk sent someone up to look at and it took them about 20 minutes, but they fixed it. Sunday morning we woke up, turned on the television and it didn't work again (stuck on the movie preview channel and it wouldn't even turn off!!!).

I called the front desk again to complain and they said they would "certainly look into it, have a good day". For a $300/nt hotel, this should have been fixed the first time and more attention and service should have been paid to us. I'm guessing since this stay was paid for using rewards points, we did not receive the level of service we SHOULD have, but this Marriott Gold member will not be staying in a Marriott brand hotel on my next trip to Charleston.

2  Thank Joe D
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel was so nice. It was our first stop on our road trip honeymoon and everything was wonderful. The room was nicely set up with an area to relax without living on the bed. Outside was a marina and it was very relaxing. Downstairs they had a sitting area, bar, and restaurant. There is not much close but historic downtown was right accessed the bridge.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We checked in the day after the big run to the bridge race in april. When we got into our room, we found that there was a hole in wall and large stains running down it, like someone had sprayed champagne all over the wall. There were also major stains in the rug that were quite evident.

I called the desk and they sent their man from engineering William Smith up to fix things. He was OUTSTANDING and couldn't have been nicer. He was due to get off shift, but stayed late and cleaned and fixed everything , including the hole in the wall. At his suggestion, i met with the Asst. GM who was also nice and gave us some free breakfast chits and put points into my Marriott rewards program.

The hotel is in a central location in town and you can walk to the waterfront in a reasonable time. I would stay there again. We found a Harris Teeter grocery store down on East Bay St a couple of blocks from the hotel ( headed towards the cruise ship terminal and sightseeing boats)- they make good deli sandwiches and have a full beer & wine selection along with the full grocery store selections. Pick up your snacks etc there - a liquor store is across the street
if you want liquor.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kevinmullen1313
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Now, here is where southern charm meets and greets you. Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Historic District is all that it claims to be. The hotel is clean, the rooms are extremely comfortable and the staff is great. The covers the hotel. The location is another story....you are smack in the middle of all Charleston has to offer to make for the perfect hotel stay. You can walk to many eateries and there is so much to see especially on King St. Something wrong with your iPhone? You can walk to the Apple store located not even 10 mins on foot. Need cigarettes? There is a gas station directly across the street. The hotel is no smoking BUT, lounging outside is made extremely comfortable for guests. Also, because Charleston is known for their summer heat it's really nice to come outside to the front of the hotel where there is a long covered porch with ceiling fans and distinct rocking-chairs. Southern charm. There is a hotel bar if you'd like to stay around the hotel. Overall, I give the hotel 4 circles for Class.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business