“Great place to stay in Charleston!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Charleston Historic District

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great place to stay in Charleston!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We recently enjoyed a lovely stay at the Courtyard Charleston Historic District. The property is ideally situated on the edge of the historic district within walking distance to all of the top tourist spots and dining establishments. The rooms were spotless and the common areas were also bright and clean. The staff was very friendly - from the concierge to the front desk to the maids to the maintenance folks - everyone that we encountered had a smile and a genuine "good morning, y'all". The concierge, Kevin McQuade, is a true Charleston treasure. We have traveled extensively and we have never met a concierge who is as passionate and helpful as Kevin. His knowledge of the city, beyond the usual tourist attractions, allowed us to experience the real Charleston. He directed us to an informative historic walking tour of the city, as well as a great boat trip out to Morris Island, where we saw dolphins, oyster beds and the unique lighthouse. Kevin was also kind enough to take us on his famous nighttime tour of the backstreets and alleyways of Charleston, which gave us an entirely different perspective of the city. His restaurant recommendations were spot on, from our lunch at Cru Cafe to the Gospel Brunch at Hall's. Charleston has a fabulous dining scene and we enjoyed every meal - from the Shrimp and Grits to the many local fish dishes. If you are visiting Charleston, try to stay at the Courtyard and be sure to connect with Kevin prior to your arrival - you will not regret it!

4 Thank budwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Lees Summit, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We recently stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Charleston during our family vacation. The front desk highly recommended that we chat with Elizabeth at the concierge desk, we are so glad that we did!! Elizabeth quickly mapped out a few must do/see places in Charleston. We would have never visited the places without her help. She also provided us with maps of public restrooms, streets to visit that are not on the city tourist maps and great resturant advice. Thank you so much Elizabeth!!

1 Thank Jen N
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

During my recent visit to Charleston I had the unique opportunity to compare the Courtyard to the Hampton Inn. The last two nights were organized by my traveling party, who selected the Hampton Inn. The first two nights were my choice. I was initially intent on finding a local inn or Bed & Breakfast. Two factors steered me to a brand name hotel. First, I did not have time to research properties. Second, since it was a business trip, it was mission critical to have in-hotel dining and a fitness facility. The Courtyard sealed my decision with a very reasonable sub-$150 rate.

The Courtyard is not an intimate, endearing hotel which epitomizes Southern charm. It is a national chain that offers a predictable, reliable experience. With that being said, this Courtyard is not entirely devoid of local flavor. The exterior is a light gray color with faux balconies. It seems to fit the surroundings and is far from the hideous, three-story beige structures which characterize early generation Courtyards.

The in-hotel experience embodies the new Courtyard brand. The lobby features a Bistro restaurant and several comfortable seating areas. The fitness center equipment is up to date; there are three treadmills, an elliptical machine, and weights. There is also a free concierge service, which the hotel actively promotes.

The in-room décor matches the latest generation of Courtyards. There is a moveable desk, sofa, and flat screen TV. The notable aspect of the room was the generous ambient light. By virtue of being a corner room, there were three different windows. This makes the room feel much more open and refreshing.

There were four imperfections which should be noted. First, the hand towel rack needed to be tightened. The bar collapsed when I reapplied the hand towel. Second, there was a plastic wrapper on the floor when I entered the room. This prompted me to inspect the room for other refuse, and thankfully nothing surfaced. Third, the heating and cooling is unit is in the room, consistent with other Courtyards. This particular unit seemed to move into high gear on the second night, and the acceleration caused me to awaken from my deep slumber. This only happened one time, so it may have just been a random occurrence. Finally, there was excessive condensation on one of the windows. None of these are fatal flaws and would dissuade me from selecting the hotel. However, when several minor issues surface, it does give one pause to think about what else might not be given proper attention.

In summary, the Courtyard trumps the Hampton Inn even with these imperfections. While there are some opportunities for improvement, this is still an above average hotel which earns a 3.5/5.

Pros: Predictable, reliable Courtyard

Cons: Several details overlooked in the room; beware of street noise in some rooms

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy intersection. Street noise emanates into rooms close to the corner and may a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

First I have to compliment the reservation-desk staff at the Marriott Courtyard for their friendliness and professionalism. I also give very high accolades to Kevin and Elizabeth, the two concierges we consulted during our four day stay, for the valuable assistance and recommendations they made. Last, but not least, I commend the chef and the entire dining staff we met in their restaurant for being extremely friendly and helpful each morning. They all seemed sincerely interested in our having a pleasant stay at the hotel and a wonderful visit in Charleston.

It’s unfortunate that we encountered several difficulties with our room, especially the less than thorough housekeeping. We checked into our room (#521) about 4pm in the afternoon, after our flight there from New York. Upon entering, we immediately noticed a musty odor in the room, so we adjusted the AC to see if air circulation would remove it. It wasn’t 10 minutes later when I started to see a dust build-up on the top edges of the base boards, sofa back and bathroom tiles. Upon further inspection, when I pulled back the shower curtain, there was mold/ mildew around the tiles near the soap dish. The room simply was not as clean as I would expect from a property such as Marriott. I shudder to think what I may have found if I looked under the bed or pulled the sofa away from the wall. The other issue we had was with the TV reception on almost all channels. At times, it was so bad, it seemed we were getting only every third word, so you couldn’t understand what was said. On a positive note, the free Wi-Fi in our room worked flawlessly, which is usually not the case while traveling.

A few hours later, on our way to dinner, I stopped at the front desk and reported my room problems. The clerk assured me that someone would freshen the room now and housekeeping would give the room a thorough cleaning the next day. The next morning, after breakfast, we stopped at the desk again because our friends, staying in room #513, were having the same housekeeping problems as us and wanted to report it. We were told the manager had already been alerted to my room issues and we asked if we could speak with him. Beryl, the hotel manager, could not have been more apologetic for the cleaning problems in our rooms, and assured us they would be dealt with during the day, while we were sightseeing. His explanation was that his hotel is full most times, so they never have enough time to deep-clean the rooms. When we returned at the end of the day, I must say the cleaning was substantially improved, however the foul odor problem lingered on throughout the rest of our stay. Because of the July 4th holiday, they unfortunately weren’t able to fix our TV problem either. The hotel location, in the historic district, was great and if it weren’t for the problems we encountered, I would have given this Marriott a five star review. My recommendation is that if you want to stay here, be sure you are booked into rooms in the new section, which I was told has central AC and are much better.

Room Tip: Request a room in the newer section with central air conditioning.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
grayslake
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is the most friendly hotel we have EVER stayed in! The front desk staff, the housekeeping staff, the concierge team -- every time we arrived or departed, we were greeted so nicely. The room was bigger than expected - lots of space for a family of 4 with 2 little kids - and all of the stuff we had in tow. The room was clean and quiet. We were near the elevator but never heard a peep outside of our door. We didn't have time to enjoy the sparkling pool, but it certainly looked inviting. The concierge team helped us find delicious & authentic food and provided perfect instructions for how to get to the beach on Isle of Palms. Zero complaints about our stay here!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

As a Platinum member for Marriott I stay in my fair share of the brands. This is in a great location and is very clean. Walking distance to anything of consequence down town. Great access to dining, shopping and all things historic. I typically don't care for the in room AC units that are below the windows but these were super quiet, should be put in all of the brands. The staff here is very well trained and the concierge, specifically Kevin is off the chain, crazy knowledgeable. Parking is at a premium so expect to pay the $16/night but is safe and convenient. Had a few Platinum expectations missed but overall this is a great hotel for your downtown Charleston experience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My sisters and I were at this hotel for July 4th like many other guests. I ALWAYS check tripadvisor before I select any hotel to read what people have to say. I can concur what others have said about Kevin. I thought I loved history! Kevin blew me away and like others, I have traveled in the US and outside of the country and I can't tell you about any other person who struck me as someone who really enjoyed his job or telling the guest about where to go, how to get their, a map with the best bathrooms in the city too! The front desk staff members were very helpful and very kind. I really appreciate them showing my sisters and I the interactive TV which was the first of its kind I have seen. The hotel is in a great spot and my sisters and I really enjoyed our stay - we will be back.

Room Tip: Due to a sleep problem I have, I have to have a high floor away from the elevator