Courtyard Charleston Historic District
$249
  • Pool
$439
  • Pool
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$249
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$299
$359
$219
French Quarter Inn(Charleston)
$349
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$129
$218
$199
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$124
1,661 results
All reviewskevin mcquadewalking tourchief conciergepublic restroomshistoric districtamazing conciergephoto opsnight tourtommy dewhis enthusiasmmorris islandconcierge serviceking streethelped us planmarriott propertiescru cafewithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our family had a wonderful stay at this hotel and it is not like any Courtyard I have stayed at in the past, really more like a Marriott hotel, full amenities. Very nice redecorated rooms, perfect location at corner of Calhoun & Meeting Streets in the historic district. Super friendly staff and a very enthusiastic and well informed concierge Kevin McQuade except...

Kevin has a wealth of knowledge of points of interest in Charleston area, equipped with his personal choices including maps for his favorite venues (such as top 20 photo ops, graveyard, homes, alleys,etc- even best public restrooms in the area! A valid concern with limitations walking in historic district all day. Very nice.
What I feel in retrospective, is that Kevin has lost his objectivity regarding important mainstream destinations, especially for first time visitors; and he puts on the pressure selling his personal choices.. so beware.
For instance, Kevin recommended a great restaurant,"Coast" which we thoroughly enjoyed (fantastic seafood and atmosphere albeit pricey) and a very good walking tour by Tommy Dew. What he didn't seem to like was the tour of Ft. Sumter, The City Market, horse drawn & motorized city tours, all very popular and well liked by tourists. Kevin didn't even mention the legendary Hyman's Seafood Restaurant as a possible dining choice and it's only three blocks from the hotel! He also neglected to mention the very popular Shem Creek area with it's assortment of large popular restaurants, bars and a very active and interesting harbor.
Granted these are tourist attractions and may not be his favorites but we are tourists and in the case of Hyman's Restaurant ( voted for 9 years in a row as the best Seafood Restaurant in the Southeast in Southern Living Magazine's Readers Poll surveys- and multiple similar accolades by many sources including droves of celebrities who have dined there and loved it) why wouldn't you mention it?
We went and it was great albeit fried but fabulous, really good food, prices and the friendliest staff you could ever ask for. A must, especially for first time Charleston visitors.

A concierge can't ignore these attractions. Kevin would mention two or three choices and then expect us to make a decision and commit for reservations on the spot. Hard sell..
Still, as I mentioned he is a wealth of information and made a positive difference regarding our vacation experience. I just think he should include the mainstream destinations and choices as well. We would have been very disappointed had we not discovered and gone to Hyman's Restaurant and Shem Creek on our own. I think we might have felt the same way about the Fort Sumter tour and other city tour options had we time to do so.

Still, great hotel, wonderful service and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Suite was wonderful, ask for one with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gary W
BerylR335, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Gary W:
Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor and give the valuable feedback that we all depend on to improve the services we offer to all guests.
Regarding Kevin and his style...Kevin is full of passion for Charleston and he definitely has his favorite places, but there is a theme to every restaurant his recommends. They tend to be smaller places where the locals outnumber the tourists. Above all, they have very good, fresh food. He believes that if you want to find the soul of a place, it’s very essence, that you have to get off the beaten path. You come to see him, he believes, to find those hidden gems you couldn’t find on your own. Hyman’s is in the middle of town and is hard to miss. It’s a valid choice, but it’s a place where the tourists usually outnumber the locals. He wants you to feel like a local when you’re here, and it’s easy to feel that way when you go to where the locals go.
I do agree, our concierge(s) should talk about the sites and dining options that are most publiciized as many of those locations are why people visit Charleston. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you when you return to Charleston!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We travel a lot and I can tell you honestly that you will not find a better staff than the people who assisted us at this hotel. From the minute we checked in, Maggie, greeted us with a warm welcome and big smile. Even though we were checking in very early, there was a clean room available for us and Maggie assured us it was a very nice room, albeit near the elevator (which we normally try to stay away from). I had told her we were celebrating my brithday that day and so I greatly appreciated her checking us in early so that we could go out and enjoy my day. When we came back to the hotel later that day after touring around the city, there was a bottle of champagne and a birthday card waiting for me on the table--from the hotel staff--card was personally signed by several people: Maggie, Elizabeth, Beryl, etc.

Also worth noting was the concierge desk. We received excellent services from Elizabeth who who we pestered constantly (partly because she was simply so nice and informative)! She asked excellent questions to understand our needs and what were looking to do while we were there. She saved us time and money from going to one of the plantations that really wasn't going to meet our expectations and offered an alternate plantation (Middleton Place and Drayer Hall) that we absolutely loved! Elizabeth attended to making every dinner reservation for us and got us the best table in the house at Magnolia's on the night of my birthday. She was simply an absolute delight to deal with and she made sure we had an excellent time with our plans. While we didn't get to work with Kevin at the concierge desk, we did meet him on our last night there and got to chat with him about what a wonderful experience we had.

Then there was Allison at the Bistro in the hotel. We had grabbed a light bite to eat on Wed night and got to meet her. She was very pleasant and gave us great service,however, she far exceeded my expectations on the next night when we showed up once again to eat dinner in the hotel. I had suffered a migraine that afternoon and by dinner time, while feeling better, was still feeling quite lousy and had told her that's why we were back and not out on the town that night. I just wasn't up for it and stil had a headache that was sitting in th back of my neck and head. Before I knew it, she made up a long ice pack for me that I could drape around the back of my neck. I really couldn't believe the care and attention that she gave me. Very thoughtful.

We also got to know Aaron at the front desk. He was very helpful with arranging cab service on the couple of occasions we needed a cab. Super nice guy, just made you feel welcomed!

Our cleaning woman was also very nice! Always left us plenty of towels and kept our room very clean!

As you can see we had a great experience at this hotel and couldn't pass let this go by with out writing a recommendation on this site.

My only disappointment with the hotel was the pool. I had been looking forward to having a couple of afternoons of just sitting by the pool but decided not to for a couple of reasons: there was only 1 umbrella out there and the pool area was rather small. Typical city type pool. Not the kind of pool you would find at a resort or larger hotel.

Aside from that our accommodations were great--clean room, very spacious, great location--you can walk to some many places--water shuttle to Fort Sumter and Patriots Place close by, beautiful old estates to see by the water front, plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby!

I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol S
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife had never been and I'd never stayed close enough to walk. The Courtyard by Marriott was perfect. Great hotel within reasonable walking distance or all we wanted to do. The room was very modern in its décor and bed slept wonderfully. We didn't use the gym or restaurant but both appeared to be top notch. And while we knew what we wanted to do, the concierge was always helping someone with there plans. All in all, we loved it. Enough that my wife recommends this hotel to all her friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Although our stay was for a single night, my wife and I along with our son and future daughter-in-law were generally satisfied with our stay. However, it could easily have been a much more positive experience with some very minor adjustments and attention to detail that I have come to expect having stayed at a number of Marriott Courtyard properties in the past.

Arrival - Upon arrival at 1PM, although our room was not ready, we were greeted at the lobby by John who was happy to provide us with the opportunity to go ahead and park in the hotel (additional charge-$16) and return later for check in (4:00PM). When asked if the hotel could perhaps call and let us know when our room was ready, his colleague (amiddle-aged woman at the desk) stepped in to reply that ". .we don't do that. . " however, John said he would be glad to. As it turned out, we didn't get a call.

Location - We elected to walk through beautiful historic downtown Charleston, and thoroughly enjoyed some of the many historical, shopping and dining opportunities before returning to our room at about 6PM.

Accommodations - The room we arranged for was a 2-room suite that had a separate sleeping area with 2 queen beds, and a larger living/sitting room area with a sofa bed. The beds (including the sofa bed) were VERY comfortable! An outdoor balcony is located off this living room area. Each room has an HD LCD TV; but be aware that no HD content is available on the channels that we skimmed. A small kitchenette area adjoins the living room and is equipped with a small refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. No paper towels are available in that location. The outdoor balcony has a nice view (from the 6th floor) and is equipped with 2 (austere) plastic chairs and a small matching plastic table.

The rooms were generally clean with the exception of some trash and an empty wine bottle that had been left under the sink in the kitchen that we discovered when we returned late that night after a night on the town. The bathroom was clean and spacious enough with 2 sinks and lots of storage and towels to easily accommodate the 4 of us with our own separate areas.

The property has a pool, however our stay was so short that we did not have a chance to use it.

The bar was very nice and well equipped; the bartender was knowledgeable and friendly to all the guests which were a mix of hotel guests and locals.

The hotel staff was for the most part helpful and friendly - except for one worker who expressed her opinion that since it was so hot out, that she wasn't going to do any work that day.

Overall Opinion-
All in all our stay was pleasant, but with some minor improvements and attention as noted, could easily have been much better, and more in line with the Marriott standards that we have come to expect.

Room Tip: Try to book the larger 2-room suite - it is more, but the room is larger and more comfortable. Check under the sink when you arrive :-) .
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JMarino2012
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Everything about our stay was great. The hotel is very clean. The staff is very friendly. Dolesha with housekeeping, Aaron at the front desk, and Daniel and Allison at the Bistro made our stay very comfortable. The staff is personable and professional, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013