“Close to everything!”

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Lakewood, Colorado
“Close to everything!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Lovely hotel with a nice quiet room. Comfortable bed. Very clean! Nice, roomy bathroom with a walk in shower. We were within walking distance to everything we wanted to see. Very friendly staff too! Discovered Cupcake on King street. Best cupcakes ever. We took advantage of the FREE bus. Thought we would use it for an on/off tour on our own. Big mistake. It is used by homeless and indigents to while away their time. They sleep on it and never get off. It is smelly and scary. I'm sure tourists only use it one time. Charleston advertises this bus ride in their city tour book. I would have gladly paid for this ride. We loved Charleston and walked everywhere. It was a great visit!

Room Tip: Choose a studio suite. It allows you room to spread out.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I coordinated a business meeting along with a long weekend in Charleston to see this amazing city during Easter weekend 2013. It so happened the Courtyard Marriott Charleston Historic District was the venue for my meeting, so I extended my stay for several more nights. The location of the hotel was ideal for myself and my elderly mother - within walking distance to wonderful restaurants, shopping, and so much more. I normally stay at 4 star or 5 star hotels when I'm on vacation, however I found this 3 star room to be completely acceptable, clean, large, and well kept. The staff was attentive and accomodating to a few special requests that we had. What made this stay so uniquely exceptional was largely due to the thoughtful and very thorough assistance of the Chief Concierge, Kevin McQuade. I called Kevin well in advance of our arrival to inquire about restaurants and tours. Kevin went straight to work asking about food preferences, budget, mobility, expectations, virtually all important aspects of a trip that tourists are faced with when they begin planning their travel. Kevin considered all of our preferences and put together 5 days of fabulous restaurants, walking tours, and excursions that were coordinated so incredibly well. I highly recommend staying at this lovely property and making use of this amazing concierge service - a level of service that can make your trip extra special like it did for me and my mom.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
LaGrange, GA
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We made our reservations at the Courtyard Charleston Historic District in February for the crowed "Spring Break" period at Easter. We received no discounts and are Marriott award members. After we checked in at the lobby, we found a long corridor leading to a very small corner "King Room." There was not even enough space to open both of our suitcases and still walk around the bed (which was king size).

Other than the small room size, the service was excellent, the room was very clean, and the location was excellent for all activities in historic Charleston. Other than driving to see the plantations on one day, we walked from the Courtyard to everywhere we went in Charleston. My wife and I love Charleston and go every year. We were somewhat disapointed that we switched to the Courtyard this year, although the concierge was absolutely fantastic and directed us to wonderful events. The staff was friendly, polite and courteous. The staff and concierge almost made up for the room.

Room Tip: Ask if you are in a corner room and if so, are you in a small or large corner room.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The location is good, walking distance to both historic distance and Fort Sumter boats. Rooms are somewhat dated but clean and reasonably spacious, the beds comfortable. The price was too high for my taste but that's what you get in Charleston I guess. There is a small bistro inside which we didn't try,and a good supermarket a few blocks away.

Unfortunately, we were staying for 4 nights and the toilet was clogged the whole time, twice flooding the bathroom. When we called, they prompty arrived with a plunger (worked for a few hours)but after the second call they could have realized something was wrong. Third time, a man came with a snake and said something was stuck deep in the plumbing and he hoped he fixxed it. No such luck. Fourth call - plunger again. Finally, the night before we left, another man came with a snake and turned out another tool was needed that the hotel didn't have. We left without ever finding out if they managed to deal with this. The lady on reception apologized nicely and made us take two bottles of chocolate milk free, which our son promptly consumed. I would prefer a coupon for a free Marriott stay, but I don't think she could do this. I realize most guests won't have this problem, and it wasn't the hotel's fault that somebody put stuff in the toilet, but still they could have dealt with this faster.

Another problem - we chose this hotel in part because of all the glowing posts about Kevin the concierge, and we even got a glimpse of him on the last day. However, we tried to talk to a (different) concierge once, and ended up giving up after waiting for half an hour in line while only one couple was talking with the concierge the whole time, and there were other people waiting ahead of us. Any time we passed through the lobby after this, there were several people waiting. It was a peak of the spring season all right, but they could have either have two concierges there or, if that was impossible, not to advertise concierge's services everywhere in the hotel. This was somewhat frustrating.

Anyway,our stay wasn't spoiled by these little glitches, and Charleston is a beautiful city, so I still recommend this hotel for convenience and comfort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Julia G
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great location. Easy to find, drive to and park and to walk ever where of interest. Friendly service. Pros - Comfortable room, walk in showers and nice public areas. Cons - Rooms and bathrooms are on the small size. However, the pros out weigh the cons and we would certainly stay here again.

1 Thank The B
Syracuse
Reviewed April 8, 2013

30 minutes with Kevin MacQuade not only MADE our trip in Charleston, he gave us great advice for Savannah too! He even gives you a map of the best public restrooms in Charleston!
The hotel and the rest of the staff were terrific too, but Kevin really is above outstanding!

Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel one block from King Street which has a lot of restaurants and shopping. Bonus - in front of the hotel is the free trolley (green trolley & orange trolley). About four blocks away is the Charleston Museum, Children Museum and also the Welcome Center which is also four blocks away too.
The hotel room smelled a hint of mildew & my daughter had trouble with her asthma :( The maid - she was very kind & gave us extra kleenex box. She (the maid) did have room clean but, I think the mildew is in the carpet. There is no microwave in the hotel room :(

• Stayed April 2013