“Southern Hospitality to the MAX”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
home
“Southern Hospitality to the MAX”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We satyed at this hotel March 8-10, for my nephews wedding. Everything from the time I made the reservations to the check out was amazing. I had the pleasure of speaking with Natacha at the front desk. She informed me of the weather in SC and that it was going to be pretty cold when we checked in. That was golden information, considering the wedding we were going to was outside! When we arrived for check in, she had made sure our rooms were connecting and ready for us. On request, she had a cot set up in the room for an extra person. The hotel was spotless, and the sheets even smelt good! The pool was clean and private,we sat out and drank our free coffee by it every morning. Everyone at the hotel was quick to help with any problems, the dry cleaner stained my sons shirt the day of the wedding, and within an hour, the front desk had a new shirt in our room....problem solved! Natash also save us a ton of money by letting us know that we did not have to rent a car. The hotel is in walking distance to everything, and if you are tired, there is a free trolley that runs all day, and makes a stop at the hotel. If you are considering going to Charleston SC historic district, you have to stay at this hotel, you will be very happy you did. Thank you all that work at this hotel, esp. my new frien Natacha! We'll be back;)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ROHAN C, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Marinop4,

Thank you for your kind words. That is high praise for Natacha and for our hotel; we really appreciate your outstanding feedback. There is no doubt that Natacha and our front desk team gives a high degree of personal attention with each guest.

I am apologetic about the dry cleaning issue and I hope the new shirt that I bought from King St. was to your son’s liking.

We look forward to your next visit...your new friend Natacha and all of us will be waiting for you!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed two nights on business for a conference in the hotel. Staff was very friendly and accomodating.Had a king room, nice sized bathroom with large shower (no tub), room size itself was adequate, tastefully decorated and quiet. Hotel is a block from College of Charleston which means lots of places to eat and drink (on King) and about a five-ten minute walk to Market Street. They have a happy hour ($5 drafts/wine) but there are a lot of places nearby to eat/drink as well.

Room Tip: My room (241) was a hike to the elevator, opt for a lower number
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Torpster
Irvington, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I knew staying in the historic district in Charleston was a must and this hotel was the perfect location! Charleston is a walking city and I felt the hotel was in the middle of all the places I wanted to visit. I only had a short time to visit Charleston and the concierge was extremely helpful. They say down with me for a while to go over how to make the best of my time. Elizabeth booked my tour, offered the best sights to see while walking around and told me about great places to eat. She was nice, knowledgeable and so helpful. I hope Marriott pays her well, she deserves it! Pleasantly surprised how great the room was! It was very spacious, clean and nice. Pool was still open in late October and there was a pretty patio in the back of the hotel. There is a parking lot too for a fee. I really enjoyed my stay. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MyOwnUtopia128
Dear FireflyPR,

Thank you for staying with us here in Charleston at the Courtyard by Marriott Historic District and for the fine comments on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for recognizing Elizabeth, who does a great job of taking care of the guests as you noted.
I would have to add that no trip is complete without checking in at the Courtyard and speaking to Elizabeth and Kevin our Concierges to make the most of your visit.

Thank you for coming to visit us, and we hope to be able to see you for an extended visit soon.
We appreciate your business very much.

Red Wing, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I selected this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. The concierge staff was as wonderful as the reviews suggested. Elizabeth helped me select a quick historic district tour without much walking to meet my needs. On the tour I ran into Kevin and he immediately offered to make lunch reservations for me at a great spot - Cru Cafe. When I returned to the hotel later that day, Elizabeth gave me several recommendations for dinner that fit my criteria - seafood, nearby, and safe to walk to and from at night from hotel. I went to Coast and the food and service was great. Elizabeth also provided plantation tour recommendations, the photo opportunity map, beach options and more maps. I was able to see and do so much in a short period of time only because of the great, friendly service of the concierge staff.

The hotel restaurant, shop and free computer access were also excellent. The parking spaces in the garage are small (probably like all in the area) but that's my only complaint!
Big thanks to Kevin and Elizabeth!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear FireflyPR,

Thank you for your great comments and for recognizing Elizabeth and Kevin. We are fortunate to have two of the very BEST concierge in Charleston.

We loved hearing the details of your wonderful visit. The great restaurants, Elizabeth’s and Kevin's incredible service, and the things that made it memorable. It appeared that you were able to maximize your experience with Elizabeth's assistance.

Parking can be frustrating in Charleston with such limited spaces. In remedy, our parking spaces have been redesigned on the upper lot to make it more friendlier. We also have arrangements with parking lots on the front and back of the hotel in addition to our two lots on-site.

We appreciate your business very much and hope to see you again very soon.

northville, mi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

While deciding where to go for a few days with my daughter during her spring break, I stumbled across the reviews for the Marriott Courtyard in Charleston's historic district; more specifically, for the concierge, Kevin McQuade. We decided to go to Charleston and let Kevin plan our itinerary. It was a great decision. I had called before we arrived and Kevin arranged a conference call between the three of us to find out what we were interested in. When we arrived in Charleston, we had reservations at top restaurants, tours and activities. Kevin even took us on a night time tour that was fabulous. We can't thank Kevin enough for his great service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jmoirNorthville
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I recently traveled to Charleston for a much needed Girl's Weekend. We were looking for a charming getaway in a city that had been well ranked for food and tourism and we were not disappointed. The hotel was perfectly located for a walkable city. The room was pleasant. The staff was fantastic. On arrival, I was fixed up with a much needed glass of wine and pointed to the courtyard for some time to read and relax. The reception staff helped with lunch at dinner plans that were quite nice. The remainder of our three days was expertly crafted by the enthusiastic and faultless Kevin…the Chief Concierge. Kevin's knowledge and love for Charleston was evident. He directed us to an amazing tour of the city, made recommendations for a beautiful breakfast and lunch and arranged for seating at two of the most well reviewed restaurants in town (even during Food and Wine Festival weekend). We have been fortunate enough to travel the world and I can say that Kevin's recommendations, attention to detail, keen ability to uncover our wants for the trip are tops. It is worth a stay at the Courtyard for Kevin alone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

If this quite-good hotel could solve their door-slamming problem, it'd be about perfect.
I put that complaint up front in an otherwise quite positive review because it should be a simple fix -- all the doors have door closers but the doors shake the rooms when they slam, and w/ a full hotel they slam a lot. Worse than other hotels? Seemed so. (I know this is common hotel/cruise problem, but it is solvable.)
Otherwise, this is a terrific place... they did just about everything else right.
Concnierges Kevin McQuade and Elizabeth are really, really good. Great suggestions.
Attractive modern facility, nice rooms, good housekeeping staff.
Super good Bistro staff.
GREAT location.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto Meeting St. have charming views of cool old bldgs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
John D, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Erudo,

Thank you for staying with us in Charleston. We appreciate your feedback very much.

I would definitely agree that the room doors in the newer wing have a more powerful door closer. Based on your comments we will try to bring that pressure down slightly but of course they are self-closing for your safety and security.

Thank you for recognizing Kevin, Elizabeth, Housekeeping and our Bistro team. No doubt that all of these associates are fantastic at what they do...and it is all in the interest of creating an enjoyable experience for you and future guests.

John Dallas