“Allison and Seth - Thank You”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Yuma, AZ
“Allison and Seth - Thank You”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Starving after a day of meetings, clients, and too many documents, I found myself 30 minutes late for the on-property bistro's close. I walked up and knew I was doomed, as they were counting the register, and laying out the receipts...with a beautiful southern smile, and a welcomed, "OF COURSE we'll get you some food, what would you like?" Allison the bartender personally went into the kitchen and made me a salad to order, with the help of Seth. This is what makes me want to come back. Not only to Charleston, but to this property.

The property is located at the heart of the best restaurants and shopping.
The place is modern, well maintained, and I couldn't pass by the staff without a big smile and greeting.

Book your stay here, you will be happy and well cared for.

Special thanks to Allison and Seth. They made Charleston a place that I will remember. I live by my stomach, and they made me happy.

If my business carries me here again, I will stay here without fail, and I hope I run into these two.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
John D, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear YumanNature,

Thank you for staying with us here in Charleston and for the great review.

It was awesome to hear how Allison and Seth took care of you, no matter the hour, so that you could be well fed and comfortable. They are great examples of genuine hospitality that exists on the team here.

Thank you for recommending us and for also promising your return and we hope that is soon!

John Dallas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We recently returned from Charleston spending 6 nights at this hotel. Since we were a family of four with luggage for the week and needing a roll away I requested a room that would be spacious enough. Despite being a Marriott rewards member and requesting this when booking the room as well as mentioning it at check in we were given a very small room. The room did not include a closet and while we were provided with a roll away the whole set up including all our luggage for four made it extremely uncomfortable to get around the room. The bathroom as well was much smaller than in rooms around the corner with very little counter space for toiletries. I did request a room change with the front desk and was told the manager would be in touch with me but never heard back.

On a positive note the concierges Kevin and Elizabeth were fantastic and put together great activities and restaurants for us to enjoy. The week they planned for us left us with great memories of Charleston and quality time spent together. Everyone at the Bistro in the am and pm were warm and friendly with great service. The location also allowed us to walk to everything and in the rain the trolleys that stopped right near the hotel were a big help.

Room Tip: evidently rooms at the far end of the building are much smaller including a smaller bathroom
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear saf575,

Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard here in the Historic District of Charleston.

I was disappointed to see that we did not accommodate your request for a larger room while you were here and we are trying to implement a better way of handling that and every request.

You identified correctly that our rooms in the original wing of the hotel do have more depth to be able to put a rollaway in the rear of the room. However, none of our rooms with 2 queen beds were designed to hold a rollaway bed very well. I apologize that you were not comfortable during your stay and that we dropped the ball on making that room transfer happen upon your first request.

Thank you for recognizing our Bistro team and Kevin and Elizabeth.

We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and hope that we can continue to serve you in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were very pleased with our stay at this hotel. Our room was clean and well appointed. The bathroom was very spacious and provided more than enough room for both of us to get ready. The location is great. A maximum of 15 to 20 minute walk to anywhere you want to go. The concierge Kevin is the best. He knows everything and has handouts that cover anything you want to do. He really helps maximize your experience during your stay.

• Stayed February 2013
John D, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Keoff,

Thank you for being a Senior Contributor on TripAdvisor and for your excellent review of our hotel here in Charleston.

It appeared that you had a great trip and were able to maximize your experience with Kevin's maps and assistance. Walking is always the best and healthiest way to get around our great city and you correctly noted that in 15-20 minutes out our front door you could be all the way to the end of the peninsula near the Battery.

We hope that you will return to Charleston again soon and wish you all the best in your continued adventures.

Winterville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent a few days at your hotel for me to attend a seminar. The staff went well above the call of duty to make us feel welcome and that we mattered. But, we fell in love with Elizabeth while she was the concierge the day we arrived. Since we had several hours to kill before our room was available she sent us out to a delicious lunch and bus tour of the city and later on a fun historical ghost tour. She remembered our names every time she saw us. We were very impressed with her!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Even at the best hotels something will go wrong and what makes the difference is how the hotel handles a problem. When we visited Charleston for the first time recently we had a problem when we checked in to the Courtyard in that our room was not ready and despite the best efforts of the front desk staff we were still waiting 30 minutes after arrival. I asked to see the manager who immediately took responsibility and personally went to sort out the situation with housekeeping. In the end we waited nearly an hour to get into our room but the manger compensated us by upgrading our room for the remainder of our stay as well as providing us with a gift voucher for one of the best restaurants in town. He went out of his way to ensure that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. As a result we will stay there again on our next visit to Charleston. Other comments on this hotel have mentioned how good the concierge Kevin is. For most of our stay Elizabeth was on duty and I have to compliment her on helping us with trips and restaurant reservations. Also a word of praise for the Bistro staff who were most friendly and helpful. All in all an excellent stay after a poor start.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just spent the weekend in Charleston and stayed for the first time at this particular Courtyard. As Marriott Platinum Elite members we have experienced many Marriotts and their subsequent concierge but none can hold a candle to Kevin McQuade. This man truly loves his job and his enthusiasm for Charleston is contagious. From his personal maps of Charleston to restaurant recommendations his suggestions were invaluable. However, the highlight of our trip was the personal nighttime tour Kevin took us on Friday night. Kevin used his personal time to show my husband and I around a side of Charleston that we would have never visited. Kevin took time to take photos and tell us facts about the sights we were seeing. It was truly a magical evening and words cannot do the tour or Kevin justice. I am positive that we will return to this hotel to see Kevin again. He is an amazing person and made our weekend truly fabulous!

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 23, 2013

A couple friends and myself just stayed at this hotel. It was very nice. Rooms were clean and spacious. The hotel staff recommended several restaurants in the area that were phenomenal and a ghost tour our first evening that was great. This hotel is in walking distance to downtown. The only con was the $16/day parking. A little steep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends