“Great Value and Location”

Courtyard Charleston Historic District
Ranked #25 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stay at the Courtyard primarily because of its proximity to my office, but have to say that he location is great. It's a short block to King Street and all the shopping and restaurants that offers. It's ideally located between upper King and the Market area making most places in Charleston walkable! The staff at the hotel are also very helpful and the breakfast area very convenient and tasty. I stay for business and friends and colleagues local to Charleston take care of reservations. As such, I do not use the Concierge. However, by reading the other post and the recommendations noted I can certainly see that there recommendations are top notch! I have stayed at many of the Inns and higher end hotels in Charleston and can say that the Courtyard is typically a good value.

The restaurants and nightlife in Charleston are as good as any I have seen in the US. It is a fabulous place for a romantic getaway or family city / Beach vacation and the Courtyard is an outstanding and affordable place to do that from!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank VTJosh
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Charleston Historic District

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We decided to check out Charleston after a 4 day conference in Atlanta. At first we looked at some of the pricey B&B's, but opted for the Courtyard Historic District. I'm SO GLAD we did! The caring and pampering started at check in, continued with the bellman and was highlighted by the amazing concierge service they have. We spent time with both Elizabeth and Kevin throughout our time there. They recommended a historic walking tour given by a local historian/author. What a great way to get an overview and feel of the city. They provided maps to overlooked areas that made for a less crowded experience. Since my husband and I are professional photographers, they sent us off with maps to photograph the non-traditional shots around Charleston. The restaurant recommendations were wonderful as well. The rooms were fresh and clean, and very well designed. It felt extravagant. What a special place it is. I didn't know there was a hotel where everyone smiled at you all the time..no grouches here. Just nice, friendly and helpful people! Do yourself a favor and try them.

Room Tip: We were on the water side of the hotel on the corner. It was quiet, with a lovely view of the bay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Darbi B
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a long weekend trip away from Toronto to escape the encroaching winter. My first time using TripAdvisor, we stumbled across the reviews for Kevin and booked a trip in November. The hotel is very clean, modern rooms, great staff, excellent location, but clearly it knows the value it has in Kevin McQuade, the Chief Concierge. I hope they've given this man an ownership interest.

Over a long telephone conversation on his own time one night, he asked us a ton of questions to get the feel of what would make the trip for us. What was our age? Would we consider ourselves foodies? (love food, but not pretentiously) To what extent were we willing to go outside our wheelhouse? Did we want to eschew "touristy" in place of "living low"? The end result was an action packed itinerary that we never would have been able to assemble, we felt that comfortable putting our entire trip in Kevin's hands. I can't believe we did so much over a 4-day trip while feeling so relaxed.

We were not disappointed. Charleston is spectacular. We got lost in the architecture, the food (I loved the idea of low country cuisine 3-ways over our 3 nights in town -- MacIntosh, Lucca, and Husk). I can still taste the old fashioned at The Mac ... I've been trying to replicate it ever since. A key highlight of our trip was the incredible night-time private walking tour that Kevin took us on at his suggestion, "sans touristes" (except us of course)

Takeaway: Take a flyer on this one. Get in touch with Kevin before you go -- you won't be disappointed. Be open to the suggestions. You'll come away experiencing much more of this under-appreciated city than you'd ever anticipate.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
John D, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Dave B,

Thank you for coming to visit us in Charleston all the way from Toronto. We appreciate your excellent marks and for providing such great detail of your stay with us.

Your tip to call Kevin ahead of time is valuable insight and given the opportunity he typically hits a home run for the guest. The other benefit that you noted was by allowing Kevin to influence your itinerary, it didnt feel overwhelming and you had a full but relaxing visit.

In closing you mentioned that Charleston is "under-appreciated", but I might differ with that view based on the last few years of ratings and reviews of the city. Conde' Nast readers have rated it the best destination in the United States for 2 years running and there are numerous other accolades rolling in. It is definitely on the radar, but we sure encourage more people to come check us out and stay here at the Courtyard in the Historic District.

We hope to see you again soon in the Holy City.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Always wanted to go to Charleston, stayed at Marriott Courtyard which was within walking distance of all the action. From the moment we checked in Aaron set the tone...he gave us a couple suggestions of where to go, how to get there and seemed genuinely interested in "us". We ran into him again later that evening and he spent time with us giving the lay of the land so to speak....printed out some menus of places we talked about...he almost seemed embarrased when I told him he reminded me of Peyton Manning,,,,,he was a pleasure to talk with....One other employee that we thought worthy of mention is Taylor, she too shared stories about how she ended up there and a number of her favorite spots and more importantly why she liked them....she and Aaron got to know us in a short period of time and got us pointed in the right direction for what we wanted to do in a short period of time.

Room Tip: Our room was a bit noisy, it faced the front of the hotel...I would suggest something other than the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank digeary

Dear digeary,

Thank you for the great review and for giving us the opportunity to serve you in Charleston.

You spotlighted a few of our great associates and we love to recognize their awesome service. Aaron and Taylor are both great examples of committed team members that take ownership and show true concern for the guest experience. I didnt realize that Aaron looks like Peyton Manning but I think he just got a new nickname here at the hotel.

Please come back soon to explore more of Charleston!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed there three nights last week. It was more upscale than I had thought a Courtyard would be. Perfect location for exploring lovely Charleston. Easy walk to the Visitors Center, Charleston Museum and a wonderful array of restaurants. The Concierge desk does a stellar job of suggesting better options to the most "touristy" tours, etc. and can give you a helpful map of the area. Restaurant advice was right on the mark and they made the reservations for us.
The hotel was clean, the staff went beyond just polite to actually friendly. The room was up to date and for me had the big three: a comfortable bed, and a dark and quiet room at night. Bistro in the lobby offers nice cooked to order breakfast options and quick service.
An excellent experience.

Room Tip: Once you have a parking spot in their two-story lot, hang on to it and walk where you need to go! T...
Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed here one night in December. The hotel is very conveniently located to restaurants and to the historic areas of Charleston. The rooms are very well appointed, with nice linens, a comfortable sitting area and a desk area. Bathrooms are roomy, with large counter space, and a standard tub/shower combo. Although the hotel was full, I heard very little noise from the occupants on our floor. The parking situation was very tight. We were encouraged to park directly in front of the hotel's front door as the parking deck was completely full. We ended up having the car's bumper damaged as the car parked in front of ours hit it getting out of the tight parking space. I would definitely stay here again when visiting the Charleston area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I decided to stay at the Courtyard Historic District for a girls weekend in Charleston with one of my good friends. After utilizing tripadvisor.com, I noticed that KEVIN MCQUADE, concierge at this hotel, was raved about in reviews from the last 3-6 months. So, as soon as we checked in at the hotel and were greeted by the charming front desk employees, I asked to see Kevin. Luckily, he happened to be there for that weekend. He immediately read us and, when we told him we were there for a girls weekend and to really get the most out of our 3 days, he broke out restaurant menus, lists of the best bars, tours, etc. He spent almost an hour with us and helped us plan out our weekend. He even took us on a free private night tour of the city. This is a MUST if it is offered to you. Don't hesitate to go. This tour showed a different side of the city that I am glad I got to experience. Kevin also suggested a boat tour out to Morris Island that was probably the highlight of our trip. We were taken by boat to a private island where we were able to collect beautiful shells and sand dollars and we had the place completely to ourselves. We even saw dolphins on our way out to the island.

I could go on about the superb hotel staff, the clean, comfortable rooms, the great bar and restaurant, the fact that some of the best restaurants and shops are within walking distance of the hotel, but even just KEVIN MCQUADE alone is the reason that you MUST stay at this hotel when visiting Charleston. He has a passion for his job and the city of Charleston. If you want an experience like no other and the opportunity to really appreciate the beauty of Charleston, South Carolina then stay at the Courtyard Historic District and make sure you go when Kevin is there. I believe he is there on Thursdays through Sundays, but call the hotel to be sure. To sum things up, a trip planned by KEVIN MCQUADE is an EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jenny P
John D, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Jenny H,

Thank you very much for the excellent review on TripAdvisor. What a great way to enjoy a "Girls Weekend" in Charleston!

Your review is prompting us to create a special package to bundle all of this excitement together in an all-inclusive way. Look for this soon to be posted on Marriott.com/chshd or www.charlestonhotel.com.

We appreciate all of the great feedback and Kevin will certainly be flattered by your "experience of a lifetime" assesment. We hope you will come back with more friends on the next visit!