“Fantastic stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Fantastic stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I chose to take a last minute trip to Charleston and found a vacancy at the Courtyard Marriott in the Historic District on a Saturday afternoon. We could not have been luckier not only because the hotel was new, sleek and clean with an excellent and friendly staff, but also because we just happened to pick the hotel that employs Kevin McQuade, the hotel's chief concierge. Kevin turned our last minute, not-a-plan-in-mind trip into 48 hours of maximizing every opportunity Charleston has to offer. When we arrived we had a lovely conversation with Kevin, meeting him and talking about our interests. Within the hour our dinner reservations were made at a local restaurant on Kevin's suggestion. Dinner was fabulous not only for its food but also for the ambience of sitting in a quaint alley that Kevin requested for us. But what really made the night (if not the weekend) was Kevin personally offering to give us a nighttime walking tour. The man worked all day long, had to be back the next morning at 8 am, yet still chose to meet us at 10:45 pm in the lobby and proceeded to take us to some of the most elegant and beautiful homes and romantically lit manicured gardens. The glow of the lampposts lit up ancient streets where these historic homes still stand and are occupied and truly "lived in" by people today. Despite knowing this and that it is 2011, walking in the light of the moon with only the sounds of our feet hitting the pavement, it felt like we could have just as well been walking these streets in 1830.

We also had our Sunday mapped out for us... literally. First, we were handed a map of Charleston that marked the spot where our breakfast reservations were made. He also booked a walking tour for us with an excellent guide which gave us a great look at the history of Charleston. Next, he handed us an additional map which ultimately made my husband want to cry in joy. Explaining to Kevin my husband's passion for photography, Kevin actually had a map of Charleston with the 20 best photo op sites (normally missed by tourists) that Kevin found himself with the help of some photographers in the area! So we spent the rest of our Sunday into Monday finding these locations. Not only did my husband get some of the most beautiful shots, we were able to walk around Charleston and see everything from the Battery, to the College of Charleston to back alleys and beautiful homes and churches.

Overall our tripped turned out to be better than ever expected. We highly recommend the Courtyard Marriott in the Historic District. It is a great location, the rooms are spacious and clean, the staff was super friendly and of course Kevin...

There needs to be a Kevin McQuade in every city!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank onthego098

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We travelled with our 19 month old daughter for the first time. The hotel was very clean and staff were very friendly. We asked for a crib, and they also brought us a fresh set of linen to cover the crib. We also stopped by to meet with the concierge, he gave us some great suggestions on places to visit and photo spots. The three restaurants he recommended were also very good, he even made the reservations for us. The hotel is on the outskirt of the historical site, but it is still walking distance to downtown. If you travel with small kids, I would recommend drive and park in downtown because by the time you are done seeing all the places, you probably don't want to walk all the way back to the hotel, especially in the summer time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband surprised me with a trip to Charleston for my birthday and booked the Courtyard for 2 nights. We were greeted with a smile by the valet (I wish I rememberd his name!) the second I stepped out of our car. Inside, the hotel is sleek and modern with a small restaurant, a Starbucks coffee bar (perfect before the morning walking tour - I'll get to that in a second), and the BEST concierge you'll ever meet. Seriously. Kevin makes this hotel 5 stars. We must have talked with him for an hour - not because we had to, but because we wanted to! With only a couple days in town, he reserved us a table at two unique Charleston restaurants. The first night we went to Cypress, a very modern dining spot with a southern twist. The second night (my birthday) we went to Middleton Place Plantation. I must say, this was so very romantic and perfect. We would have never thought to go here if it weren't for Kevin's recommendation. He also booked a morning walking tour for us, and the guide was outstanding!
If you want a convenient, classy hotel with first-class service, you should book your room here. It'll make your vacation to Charleston unforgettable.

Room Tip: Become a Marriott Rewards member.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CoeurVoyager
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

My mom, aunt and I go on an annual girls trip each year. This year we chose Charleston, SC for our adventure. After much research on Trip Advisor I chose the Courtyard. To say the VERY least, I was not disappointed.

PRO's:
- Location - This hotel is across the street from the Saturday market. Smack in the heart of town. A five minute walk from King Street shopping and a 10 minute walk from Market street.
- Newly renovated - this hotel was recently renovated from a previous Holiday Inn to a Courtyard. The rooms are extremely clean and updated.
- Front desk staff - the folks at the desk were outstanding. We got to the hotel very early before check in. The staff gladly allowed us to park and stored our bags for us while we explored. The day we checked out, we wanted to explore some more. The staff allowed us to stay parked at the hotel and again stored our bags for us so we didn't have to leave them in the car.
- Covered parking - they had a covered parking lot underground which was great to keep the car cooler and out of the elements and sight.

HUGE PRO:
- Kevin McQuade - Kevin is the Courtyard's Concierge Supreme!!! I am a planner, I researched and planned out the entire trip for me and my family. I had read great reviews about Kevin and his abilities, they were understated to say the least. We stopped to see Kevin when we arrived at 11am. I wanted to book a walking tour and had trouble getting this done online prior to arriving. We sat down and Kevin introduced himself and asked how he could help us. I explained that I was looking for a good walking tour. Kevin then probed for more information. By the end of the conversation Kevin had set us up on a private car tour (it was 100+ with heat index) with an 86 year old lady that was born and raised in Charleston. If that wasn't awesome enough, he proceeded to ask about our lunch and dinner reservations. Again, asking all the right questions, our planned out vacation we quickly and willingly threw out the window. By this point Kevin hooked us up with an outstanding lunch reservation. Planned out a stellar dinner reservation for that evening. Kevin also walked us through options for breakfast the next morning as well. Enough yet??? NO! As we continue to talk, Kevin offers to take me and my family on a night tour of the city. He explained how amazing the city is at night with the uplighting. He told us to meet him back at the Concierge desk at 9pm and we would head out. We met as planned, Kevin on his own time showed us some of the most beautiful places! He took pictures with my mom, aunt and I to help us capture the memories together. This trip was magnified and kicked to an outrageous level because of how great Kevin was.

Net/Net....this hotel, staff and Kevin will NOT disappoint. I would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

We used points and got a suite with 2 queen beds, its was really nice and clean and the staff was great. Its easy walking distance to everything you want to see in Charleston. Our complaints were that the tv in the bedroom did not work and they tried to fix it but it never worked, also someone got stuck in the elevator the morning we checked out and had to walked up and down 6 flights of stairs for breakfast and then with our bags (we did see a bellman help one guest so I guess that is an option we did not use) and we could not use the pool b/c there was a group of 20something drunk guys out there but my husband told the front desk and they were promptly dealt with. Beautiful clean really nice Courtyard in a great location in Charleston !!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

Though I live elsewhere now, I grew up in South Carolina. I have been to Charleston countless times. You would think I had seen and done it all, but Kevin McQuade proved me wrong. Kevin set up a WONDERFUL itinerary that consisted of a walking tour with Ed Macy, a Morris Island Lighthouse tour with Gresh Megget and the absolutely BEST meals at Cru Cafe, The Coast, & Hank's. I could NOT have asked for ANY better! All the reviews that I had read about "Kevin The Concierge" previous to this trip were NOT exaggerations! Truly, we had the most wonderful weekend!
The hotel is new. Very clean, current decor. We had no problems with any kind of noise. The beds were most comfortable. Free Wifi. The staff were over the top! Service was top notch, absolutely NO complaints! I will most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful time on our weekend in Charleston, SC. We had never visited before, so we bought a guide book prior to the trip to begin planning. Turns out we really didn't need it. Kevin, the concierge, is the only guide to Charleston you need. You can call him prior to your stay at the hotel and he can have an itinerary planned or you can walk up to his desk at the last minute to get a reservation at a fantastic restaurant. He really made it a special trip for us, and we really felt like we got to see, eat, smell and feel all that Charleston had to offer. If you want to see the Battery at its most romantic, ask Kevin about the night tour on Church Street. Thanks, Kevin!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family