“Great Experience”

The History of Charleston Walking Tour
Ranked #12 of 224 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join a 13th generation Middleton, for a personalized local perspective. End the tour in a private garden with refreshments. Walk with a local who grew up romping the streets of the downtown peninsula. The history of the city will come alive through the bricks and mortar still standing.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“Great Experience”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My husband and I took Anne's walking tour and we would recommend her tour to everyone! The tour was very informative and fun. She some how managed to keep us in the shade throughout this city tour on a very hot day in August!!

Visited August 2013

Madison, WI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An interesting and wonderful tour!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My mom, sisters and I took Anne's tour this past Saturday morning and found it to be interesting and informative and simply truly delightful. Anne is charming and warm and engaging to spend time with. She also has a good sense of what is working for the group in terms of details and timing, so not only was the information all really fascinating but the amount and length of our stops was perfect. Anne's status as a local also meant that she shared a real perspective on the changes in Charleston over the years that added tremendously to the tour. I simply can't recommend this tour highly enough. WELL worth your time and money to spend a few hours seeing Charleston through her eyes.

Visited September 2013
Carlsbad, California
“Wonderful history guide”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Anne is a wonderful guide. She is so knowledgeable and has interesting stories of Charleston history, especially of the American Revolution. Anne also talks about the different types of architecture represented by the gracious homes of Charleston. Definitely bring your camera and wear comfortable shoes (a lot of walking on roads and concrete).

Visited August 2013
Dorking, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great way to see Charleston!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I signed up to Anne's tour on the strength of the receptionist in our hotel's recommendation. We thoroughly enjoyed it; Anne took us to the main sites but also some quirky backstreets and had considerable depth of knowledge not just on the city and it's history but the period and context in which it happened. The fact that we were able to finish up in her own garden made it more personal than other tours and she was very friendly and easy to talk to, willing to share her personal history as it fitted with the city's history. I'd recommend her tour to anyone visiting Charleston!

Visited September 2013
Piedmont, South Carolina, United States
“Great family experience”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I, along with our 2 teens took the walking tour with Anne this Summer! It was perfect for each one of us. Anne was filled with more knowledge of Charleston than I could have possibly retained! I would consider touring again with Anne because I am sure I would learn something new every time.

Visited July 2013