“Good place to have a drink and watch the game”
Review of Mac's Place

Mac's Place
Ranked #251 of 936 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stopped in on a Saturday night looking for a place to watch the end of a college football game and have dinner. The waitress was busy, but we didn't wait too long to put in our drink and dinner menu. Food was decent and there were at least 5 different sporting events on in different places. They didn't rush us out after we paid the check, either. Would come back to watch a game again.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We visited on a Thursday night, which is NFL night this time of year. We were looking for an Irish Pub...which technically I guess it fit the bill.
Positives: It is a nice looking bar, it "feels" good and comfortable and is quite large. If you are going to watch football it looks like a great place to do it. Service was good, I am sorry I can't remember the server's name (but she had blonde and blue hair) but she was very attentive and helpful. Bathroom was clean. I had fried pickles and a cuban sandwich. Both were good but the bread the cuban was on was too greasy (texas toast maybe?) I think a regular non buttered up cuban bread would be a better accompaniment to all that salty stuff. My fiancé had a burger with bacon, bar b q and jalapeños and house made chips; he said this was all tasty. It looked messy and didn't make it all the way thru the meal, had to finish it up with a fork. Beer selection was good and prices were moderate.
Negative: The football game was so loud it was annoying. And I like football. I literally had to yell across the table to be heard. And I could not hear the waitress. Annoying. We almost left without ordering food because of the noise. Granted, they may not have it cranked up this loud every night of the week, but come on. It's preseason. And there were only between 15-20 people in the entire (large) space.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I am from Illinois. When I moved to Charleston a year ago I was really happy to find this place. I love the different Bears and Cubs things they have hanging, but they def need more. Anyways, my issue with this place is every time I go the food is horrid and the service is crap. At this point I can no longer get my friends to come with me to this bar, because they think that Charleston has was better places to spend money then there. I have had many things to eat at Mac's and from what it taste like they buy the cheapest food products possible. I mean who screws up a grilled cheese, Nachos, and a Guiness stew. Yuck, all of it is garbage. These things they have on the menu are so easy to make. My second issue with them is that every time I go the service sucks. Last time I went a few weeks ago and brought out of town guests. They hated it for the fact of the food, but when we sat at the bar the bartenders were to busy taking shots and complaining about everyone else that works there. Football season is starting soon. Redo the kitchen, if anything make your menu simple but good. It is guaranteed that when people order food they will stay 40 minutes longer and will drink more at your establishment. Also, get your staff into shape. You have something great fix the stuff. Oh and totally more beer choices!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The female bartender was excellent. But, i would not eat here. The place is not so clean, very unorganized, kitchen is gross and manned by kids. there were dirty rags and buckets next to the bar. There were employee problems that were being discussed out in the open. This place needs a competent manager, organization, good cleaning and professionals in the kitchen. They have alot of tvs for sports games, thats the only reason we came here.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I really want to like this bar. It is in a great location, prices are reasonable, food is fine for a sports bar. I can even put up with slow service by ordering 2 beers at a time during busy periods. The one thing that I can't get over is the sewer gas smell that hits me when I walk in here ( for the 3rd time in 3 months.) I guess it doesn't bother everyone, but I can't do it again. Too bad, because Mac's really fills a niche steps from the Market. Fix the smell and ill be back.