“disappointment”

Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
tennessee
“disappointment”
Reviewed November 29, 2009

looking forward to stay from recommendations on this site... was disappointed in this hotel. Front desk welcome was less than friendly, the woman did not smile or laugh. The bellman were excellent and always had the car to the front in a timely manner, they even cleaned the trash out. Stayed on the executive floor but not much above staying on a regular floor. Free carbonated beverage good but the other (one)perk was virtually non existent. Nightly goodies in the bar were 2 house wines and some mexican food. Had to wait over an hour to get service and manager of hotel had to be called. Room service food was abundant and excellent. Charleston is a wonderful, charming city this hotel could take some lessons from the city

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank traveler1644

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed four nights at the Mills House on the 7th floor Executive Level. The rooms are small but nicely appointed. Our room looked out directly onto the beautiful St. Michael's Church. The bellman was welcoming; room service was prompt; the fitness room was adequate; the wait staff were friendly; only the the front desk needs improvement, where one young woman seemed not to belong in hospitality work. My wife needed a refrigerator for medicines and it was provided at no cost. There were four weddings at the hotel that weekend, so it did get noisy. The location is ideal, set amidst centuries of history and three blocks up to the Market and a few blocks down to the Battery. We are looking forward to our next stay at the Mills House.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edward3005
USA
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I stayed for 4 nights. The rooms were small but nice. The bathroom was especially cramped. I requested an upgrade to Executive level on the 7th Floor since I was a Priority Club Member. The week night rate fo $199 was best I could get but it went up to $299 on Friday and Saturday nights. I liked the meeting rooms and proximity to restaurants in walking distance. Charleston is clean and safe without beggars on every corner like in SF. I enjoyed walking around in the daytime and nightime and sampling the Low Country Cuisine. Overall, a great vacation and reasonable bang for the buck.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Ourpassion09
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Florida, South Caroline and Georgia and this was supposed to be as good a hotel as the others.... most reviews were favourable but since returning i see others have posted their disappointment. We stayed 4 nights at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota for virtually the same price as 3 nights in the Mills House. The room was small the bathroom even smaller but the worst aspect was the cleanliness - it wasn't pristine as you expect expensive hotels to be. The bathroom in particular wasn't cleaned properly during the whole of our stay. The room was dark and dusty - may i suggest the management employ new cleaning staff? Thankfully it didn't spoil our vacation - we loved the city.

2 Thank Neep
Waterville, Ohio
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This hotel was wonderful! We used Priority Club points for our stay - otherwise the $250+ rate per night wouldn't have been in our budget. We were able to score a room right by the pool - couldn't have asked for a better room! The rooms are a little small, but we were only there to sleep! The hotel itself is gorgeous, and within walking distance of anything you want to do in downtown Charleston. The staff was very accomodating when my husband surprised me in our room with champagne and chocolates for our anniversary! We would definitely stay there again!

1 Thank mnrogers
Mount Pleasant, SC
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My wife and I decided to stay in our own city for our eleventh year wedding anniversary. We chose the Mills House for its location and I had heard it was fairly nice. Both my wife and I were very disappointed in or stay. The room was small (even though we were on the "executive level"). The robes in the room we disgusting. The service at check in was less than friendly as was the service at the restaurant. The room service for breakfast was late and was missing items (both mornings we were there). I have traveled all over the country and outside the country and had always assumed that service would be wonderful in my home city, but that was not the case. I may never decide to stay in my city again, but if I do it will not be at the Mills House.

2 Thank MooreOnRunning
Fairfax
Reviewed October 7, 2009

The Mills House is a beautiful hotel situated in the heart of historic Charleston. Its an easy walk to everything that's going on. The service is stellar. The staff goes above and beyond whether it be upgrading your room for your 10-year anniversary or rushing up some table salt to run a vaporizer for a sick child. Every time we come to Charleston we are sure to stay at the Mills House and we always have a wonderful time!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family