“Adequate”

The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #20 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Most of the hotels in Charleston I was considering were pretty pricey. I settled on the Mills House after looking at a lot of sites online. The hotel is at a good location (in the central historic walking area, activity around the hotel, but not at the nosiest location). The courtyard is very pretty. The room decor is better than standard. However, I expected more since the hotel was listed as a former “Conde Nast Gold Property.” I think based on that label, I was expecting something much finer. Instead, it was thoroughly decent. Not a bad place - not a fabulous place. While I might stay there again if I visited Charleston, I would be equally inclined to stay elsewhere.
Tips: vegetarians beware. I found out after ordering collard greens at a local eatery that it had some sort of meat it in (bacon? Ham?) (according to the waitress), “honey, you’re in the South, you need to ask how everything is prepared [including vegetables].” Vegetarian friends, hoof it up to Caviar and Bananas, near the College of Charleston, for vegetarian sandwiches and salads to go - also conveniently near the CVS.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,566)

Reviewed May 26, 2009

We were here on a tour for the Spoleto Festival. Comfortable rooms. Enough space. Cofee maker, but no tea, no towel racks to hang towels. Shampoo/conditioner and hand lotion were the only amenities. Noisy when late-comers came in. although otheres in our party did not hear any noise. Nice view of the pool. Ice machine and coke macheine was right around the corner. Good heating/cooling. Chocolates on the pillow. Nice restaurant and bar. We could walk to the Market and to King Street very easily and to the great restaurants in the vicinity. There was a free business center for print out your boarding passes.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2009

We booked the Mills House through Hotwire which was an experience in itself as I suspect relatively few British people either use or have even heard of it. Reasonable size bedroom but the bathroom was far too small. Friendly, knowledgeable, efficient staff on reception and the entrance foyer was of a bygone era. Good choice at breakfast but not quite ready when we arrived at its advertised opening time one morning. Reasonably priced valet parking and we had no problems with the bed that a previous poster encountered.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I stayed from April 29th-May 3rd for my first visit ever to Charleston! The Mills House location has to be the best in the Historic Section! Upon approach of the hotel you will always see a horse-drawn carriage in front as this hotel is on the map for most of the tours. The exterior of the hotel defines the charm of Charleston with gas lanterns on every perimeter wall and a flagstone sidewalk in front. The Hotel is literally steps to hundreds of shops and restaurants on King St. (palm tree lined street) and Market St. where you will see vendors of handbags, food, gifts, jewelry and oh so much more!

We had two rooms with our party of (6) girls/moms. One room had a King bed (which I would highly suggest) the other room had (2) double beds that will not sleep (2) adults comfortably. The public spaces and lobby are absolutely beautiful. The pool area and terrace are equally as lovely and well kept.

I would definitely stay here again and would suggest to my friends as well!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank derby3680
Reviewed May 5, 2009

The beds are horrible; you roll off if you do not sleep in the middle. My carpet had tears in it. The location is the only nice thing about it. I have spent hundreds of dollars going to a Chiropractor and Neuromuscular Massage Therapist since I returned.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2009

My boyfriend and I spent the weekend in Charleston. After reaching other top rated hotels here on trip advisor, this hotel provided the most value. Plus it was close to all of the downtown Charleston attractions. The staff were very friendly at check in. The hotel lobby was very attractive and stately. The rooms were clean. The bathrooms are a bit small, however, the view of the Cooper River Bridge made up for it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2009

First off, I got a great last minute deal for a one night stay through Hotwire. We were given a room with a pool-side outdoor patio - it was nice enough, but not 5* level. The check-in and concierge were extremely efficient and knowledgeable - a pleasure to deal with. We spent some time in the bar after returning from dinner - service appeared to be slow. I saw someone ask for their food after a long wait, and their food had apparently been forgotten. We were sitting at the bar and didn't mind slow service for after dinner drinks, and actually had a great time talking with the bartender. We didn't eat there so can't comment on food quality. The lobby and bar are very nice - elegant and historic looking.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple