“Fancy Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
LONGS
“Fancy Hotel”

Beautiful expensive hotel.
Great location in downtown safe neighborhood.
Had to pay for parking.
Poor wifi connection.
Bad odor from refrigerator.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Lovely, well-appointed hotel, comfortable beds, quiet hotel. It really is well situated in the heart of historic downtown, within the old walled city, which was great for us as we love to explore the old churches and cemeteries, other historic areas, and stroll the Battery area. Charleston in the summer is very hot which made us appreciate the lovely (medium sized) rooftop pool all the more!! Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2014
Charleston
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Sad to say this property has enormous potential but investment in both facilities and guest experience are severely lacking - is currently barely meeting a 3 star standard. No concierge after 6pm, under-staffed bell and valet services, front desk personnel who are poorly trained and do not know the difference between a reservation request for a jr. suite and a standard king room

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Maryland
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were in Charleston for a family wedding, and we got the block-of-rooms "bargain" rate of $189/night. Fair enough; it's a swank hotel in what has become a tourist haven. We arrived at about 3 pm on a Friday afternoon, and our first introduction to the place was that there is, at best, minimal unloading space at the front of the hotel. We ended up parking in a tow-away zone near the front door because we couldn't find any other place to disgorge our luggage. My brother-in-law (whose daughter was the bride) came out and saw us and went inside to get a bellman. It was then that I learned there is extreme pressure to use their valet parking - at $25/night. (I don't particularly like having someone take my car when I had some contents I could not secure, and when I have no idea where it is.) It was only later that I discovered a parking lot right across a side street which was cheaper and to which I would have had access. Strike one.
Check-in was somewhat slow but not terrible. I will say that the bellmen were very accommodating and efficient. The room was okay but nothing extraordinary for an establishment of this type.
Later that day, just before we were to attend a rehearsal dinner in the hotel, we met my wife's brother, sister-in-law, and daughter in the lobby. He is a retired Lutheran minister and was there to perform the ceremony. The reservation for their room had been made months in advance, and my other brother-in-law (father of the bride) had come by the day before to pay for the room in person. When my minister brother-in-law and his family arrived, the hotel had no record of him or his reservation. Long story short: When the room was paid for the previous day, the hotel staff had mistakenly changed the reservation to THAT night rather than the ones for which it had been reserved, and when the party did not show up, they cancelled the reservation entirely. This family eventually was put into a makeshift arrangement rather than the one that had originally been reserved for them. Strike two.
On the day we were checking out, I called the front desk to ask them to send someone up to help with the luggage and also to ask them to retrieve my car. We had previously been told to call twenty minutes ahead in order to get the car to the front door in a reasonable time. It took us about ten minutes to get to the lobby, where we were ushered to an outside area near the front door to wait for our car (in 90+ humid heat). After thirty minutes of no car, I went inside to inquire about how much longer it would take. The young lady at the concierge desk looked on the list of cars and did not find mine. She then looked in a box under the desk and pulled out my key, saying, "Oh, I must have missed that one." No apology; just that pronouncement. After a total of about forty minutes of waiting, our car arrived. Strike three.
Charleston is a favorite city of ours. My wife lived there for three years during high school. We love to visit, and we do, as often as we can. Suffice it to say, The Mills House is forevermore off the list of possibilities for a hotel.

Room Tip: Undoubtedly there will be heavy traffic around the hotel, but go to the FRONT, not the side street w...