“Charming hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Tyler, Texas
“Charming hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Loved this place. Right downtown in walking distance of the market, restaurants and sight seeing by water or horse drawn carriages. The hotel has excellent service and dining facilities as well as charming rooms. Be sure your drapes are closed.....because every window opens out to someone's outdoor dining area:). If you have a car, be prepared for the highest valet parking fee in town. $22 per day!!!! We didn't investigate an alternative because the streets are narrow, very crowded and very hard to get around. We were ready to get that car parked and get into our hotel. There are taxis, horse drawn carriages and pedi cabs at your door or a short walk to lots of places to see and restaurants to try out the local dishes. Grits everywhere!! Cheesy grits and shrimp, friend tomatoes, shrimp and grits, eggs and grits etc. That and crab legs and She crab soup seem to be the popular dishes. All good, nothing low fat:)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
John E, General Manager at The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Diane B,
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and comments. We take pride in our "Southern Hospitality". We hope that you will come to stay with us again very soon.
John Edwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Deltona, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We really loved this hotel. It is so beautiful inside & out. Only two small complaints, there is no fridge or microwave. We knew this when booking, so we brought our cooler with us & able to store any leftover dinner for the following day’s brunch. Parking in front of the hotel for check-in, proved to be tricky, as all the spaces were used, but it is a drop-off spot, so a trip around the block gave enough time to free up a spot. Valet is $22+tax=$24/day & parking seems to be at a premium here & Savannah. Someone mentioned there is a parking garage behind the hotel. We actually think parking was fair, as we are used to the $40/day charges in NYC, DC, & San Fran, etc.
I was a bit disappointed that there is no access to the 2nd floor outdoor front balcony where Gen. Sherman supposedly stood, but I got over it—lol. We didn’t eat here, but the outdoor patio is lovely. The cocktail bar looked very beautiful & inviting, but we were too exhausted at the end of the day for a nightcap--next time. Wi-Fi is pretty good. The pool on the 2nd floor, is lovely & inviting, but alas, no swimming this trip. I concur with others that the tub is slow draining while standing in a few inches of water while showering. My feet got a good soak. The staff was extremely polite & accommodating. We checked in & I noticed a burnt out bulb out in the bath & mentioned it when we left for a short walk. Fixed by the time we returned. I had called after I won this hotel on Priceline & requested a king size bed. Upon check-in, I asked if they had that request & it wasn’t there. That sort of disappointed me, but I know to always ask before going to the room. This problem was remedied immediately.
I bought this hotel on Priceline & got what I believe was an excellent deal. I do blind bidding, so a little gambling is involved. I highly recommend the website “betterbidding.com”, an educational tool for anyone interested in getting hotels this way, as it explains the ‘how to’s’ & answers questions. Hope I’m not breaking rules mentioning them.
Ok, back to Mills House. It has a great location in central Historic District & almost within walking distance of everything. The free city shuttle took us to areas that seemed too far to walk, i.e. The Aquarium Warf, & runs on a very timely 20 minute schedule. Mills is very close to Washington Park where we met for 2 different tours.
We would stay here again in a heartbeat. So lovely! Alas, no ghost sightings.

1 Thank redundantecho
Dear redundantecho,
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Historic Mills House Hotel on TripAdvisor. We have shared your comments with our staff. We hope you will consider staying with us when you return to Charleston.
Regards,
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Location: Perfect, right in the heart of downtown and within walking distance of just about everything (assuming you are of average health). It was our first stay in Charleston and we could not have picked a better location for home base.

Rooms: We reserved a room with a King, they gave us one with two full sized mattresses; not exactly ideal for a 3 night romantic getaway. Upon check in they insisted that we would be changed to a King room the following day. Come the next day they said they were full and implied that we were lying to them that we had been told we could change. This same scenario played out over the next two nights and ultimately we were stuck with the two full sized mattresses. As for the room in general, think of a typical aging roadside hotel with no fridge, rusted metal in the bathroom, somewhat new flat screen TV and slightly outdated furniture and you are in the ballpark. Although comfortable, nothing to write home about. It’s a shame, the lobby is very nice and had us excited about the room. Ultimately though, we spent very little time in the room so despite the bed fiasco this was not a huge deal.

Pool: Most of the chairs were missing support straps making the already uncomfortable chairs less bearable. Towels were tiny, I'm 5'7" with normal BMI and found them small.

Restaurant: Did not eat at hotel so cannot comment. However, there are so many great restaurants near by (including Poogan's porch right across the street - amazing!).

Would I go again?: Probably not.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PTir82
Dear PTir82,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We are very fortunate that our Historic Hotel is in a great location. I am sorry that your guestroom did not meet your expectations. We take all of our guest comments very seriously do I did check all of the chairs at the pool and could not find any missing support straps. We do normally receive great comments about our pool area. We hope that you will reconsider staying with us again when you return to Charleston.
Regards,
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at the Mills House for two nights in early October. As a solo traveler, I found it comfortable, convenient, friendly and close to almost everything I wanted to see and do in the historic district.

Best parts: The hotel itself has a history and is as far from a sterile chain as you can get, the architecture is interesting and the rooms feel "Colonial." The bed was really comfortable, TV worked well, and there's an outdoor pool which is unusual in a historic building.

I tried the breakfast buffet one morning -- if you're a hearty eater this is for you but I was overwhelmed with all that food.

The staff was helpful and friendly with dining and sightseeing suggestions. One thing on my wish-list -- for those visiting without a car, it would be lovely if there were trips out of town to the plantations available. Perhaps the hotel could coordinate with others to arrange something like that, I'm surely not the only visitor there who depended on her own feet for getting around the compact historic area!

An airport shuttle would also be lovely, that $35 cab ride back to the airport was pricy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Nip77,
We would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to review the Historic Mills House Hotel on TripAdvisor. We have shared your comments about the friendly staff with our "Service Professionals".
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I cannot say enough good about both the staff and the environment at Mills House. The service was OUTSTANDING. The location was ideal, and the staff was always prompt with a great suggestion for dinner (including making reservations for us), an activity, or a great local place to get a drink and socialize.

We stayed for four days and had an incredible time. We even considered it as our upcoming wedding location!! That's how much we enjoyed our stay.

Keep up the outstanding service guys! We will be back soon!

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the front of the hotel or the pool area, both are nice views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Insurance Guy 66,
We are very pleased that you had an "outstanding" visit to the Mills House Hotel. We hope that you will consider us for your wedding location. Thanks for the review!
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Upon arriving its was a little stressful , arrived dead on 3pm no where to park ?? But after figuring it out WOW what a place , just leave your car out front they will take care of it ! Drove around the block to learn the lesson ... Room is very clean cosy and comfortable , location is Fantastic , we walked around for a couple hours in awe of the history of Charleston ... Ideally you need to spend 2or 3 days to truly in joy it !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Bravewest,
Thank you for your great TripAdvisor review. We love to hear that our valued guests have been "Wowed"! Hope you can visit from Canada again soon.
Buford, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

This Hotel was clean and the staff was hospitable but not sure what all the buzz is about. I have not experienced anything outside of what I would expect from a resort with such acclaims honestly I was surprised it had received such awards. I will say that I have stayed here twice in one year and both times the cleaning crew stole personal belongings. Both times I alerted the front desk and was told they would check the lost and found and get back to me. I am not sure how perfume(1st trip) and earrings(2nd trip) would end up off my room sink and in the lost and found but I could see that the attendant was not surprised by my claim and had no intention of looking further into it. i will say that on one of my trips we had three meals catered by the hotel and all three where very good. The room was clean a the hotel has a great deal of colonial charm and detail. I will also say please be prepared to pay an additional $20/day for self parking and $22/day for valet. There is a municipal lot a few blocks away - that is your only other option. I found the hotel of itself was beautiful but once you get past that there really is not anything holding you there.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room -the view is the best.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tricia A
Dear Tricia A,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you found our hotel clean and our staff hospitable. I was very surprised that you were under the impression that our "cleaning crew stole your personal belongings." I can honestly say that we have not had that problem, but take your comments seriously. Hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Charleston.