“Great location and I will be back”

The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I love Charleston and have stayed at the Mills House on 3 separate occassions. I love this hotel's location and the staff, especially the doorman who makes you feel special every time you return "home". I have noticed that with each visit my room gets better and bigger but even the first time, I thought the room was adequate. Great pool and wonderful restaurant - though the restaurant is a little pricey, but did not disappoint.
This is a GREAT location in this easily walkable town and in the quieter area of town. Very near all the "cutsie" houses and their courtyards. I spend hours just walking The Battery area and looking at all the houses, very Southern Living Magazine. Hotel is very near Washington park, several of the mansions (like Calhoun)which you can tour, walkable to the "Slave Market" - maybe 7-10 minute walk, the water 3 mins, Rainbow Row, etc. Also, a big plus for me is that one of my favorite restaurants "Poogan's Porch" is right across the street, wonderful biscuits and I have not had a bad meal there EVER. Also, you must try the red velvet bread pudding at Blossom's Restaurant, 3 words: TO DIE FOR. Blossom's is to date my favorite restaurant of all time, and i am a travel bug, been to all 50 states, Europe, etc. Best meal ever was Blossom's, have I mentioned the red velvet bread pudding?
AND if you have never been to Charleston before, they have a lot of public restrooms located in their parking garages, so if you need to go, and do not want to have to return to the hotel or beg a restaurant for the use, just head to a public garage.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank aklaw
There are newer reviews for The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2011

My friend and I stayed in the fall for one night, on our weekend (whirlwind) trip through Hilton Head, Savannah, and Charleston.
We were very pleased with this hotel, a recommendation from a travel agent friend of ours. It is not a regular Holiday Inn that's for sure.

The room was well-appointed and a comfortable size for two people. We also had two glasses of wine included in our room rate, which was nice.
It was in a good location and we were in close walking distance to the shopping and dining in Charleston.

I would gladly stay at the Mills House again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank spartan14
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Service and accomidations are 5-Star!!! I cant wait to come back. i would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

After our long day in Charleston, we walked into the lobby of this hotel and were very pleased! It was beautiful! Then..the problems- rude front desk employee was the starter. Walked into a room right by the elevator and soda machine, hotel was not booked so no need to give us a noisy room, only to see we had been taken back like 20 years w/the terribly outdated bedding. Red and green and at least 10 yrs. old based on wear, tear and horrible pattern. I said is it Christmas? Turned on the tube tv, (haven't seen one of those in several years) while my husband took his shower. He came out saying it was "the worst shower ever" I asked why and he told me to see for myself. I took a shower and knew immediately. There was 1, no vent and 2 no anchor or magnet on the shower curtain so it just blew in towards your body the whole time. So you are taking your shower w/the curtain trying to stick to your skin the whole time- beyond aggravating! 3 towels for a room w/2 doubles. Husband said there was sand in the shower when he stepped into it also. Carpet has stains all over it. We would never stay here again. It is a 2 star (that is generous)not 4 and what year was it in conde naste traveler? 1980? I actually took a picture of the shower curtain blowing in -it is a bit foggy though. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank missjoeli
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This used to be such a beautiful hotel but on our last visit we were very disappointed. We could actually hear conversations from another room through the bathroom vent. The room is starting to look shabby, bathroom needed remodel. And...the hotel desk staff was borderline disinterested and rude. There are much nicer hotels in downtown Charleston.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I booked thru Hotel. com and was nervous as it does not tell you the hotel until you are committed (paid). When I found out it was a Holiday Inn owned hotel, I was a bit apprehensive. However this is a lovely historic hotel in a great location. We only stayed one day but we would be happy to stay at this hotel again. I would strongly recommend this hotel to others visiting Charleston. Kudos to Holiday Inn. I was impressed with the hotel and staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Charleston is charming but it was sooo hot ! Having been to Charleston before as well as the Mills House it was interesting to revisit with a teenager in tow.
The hotel is unlike most Holiday Inns ; not the big box cookie cutter hotel .This establishment has a certain southern charm and ambience . We were well received by the valet and reception desk. Rob at front desk was most gracious and accomodating: gave us 2 free drink cards and voucher for cheese plate with free glasses of wine ;(the perks may have been because we were priority club members.) The room itself was on the 7th floor ; clean , well appointed albeit small with the double beds that were comfortable . The free fountain drinks were a hit with the teenager. (The room wasn't very quiet since we were so close to the elevators and ice machine...next night was a bit better but that was our fault not requesting away from the elevators)
The location of the hotel was perfect! Right on Meeting St. at the corner of Queen ; within walking distance of museums , market and dining establishments. The Charleston Visitors Center was to the left about 1/4 of a mile or 6 + blocks. You can get tickets for tours as well as general info there and it is right across from the Charleston Museum as well as the free trolley ride. *BEWARE there are numerous establsihments touting visitor info and they are really time share marketeers that will try to hook you in !!! (There is a concierge in the hotel but couldn't catch at her/his desk )
TIP* Dining : You must try Hyman's Seafood ! (about 4 blocks from hotel) Reasonable . Try and either do a before 5/6 or after 730 p to try to beat the crowds. The scored fried flounder was a fave ! The teenager lovvvved Hymans
Another was Toast : again reasonable with good breakfast options.
Tours : Fort Sumpter (sp) with city tour was interesting (can be obtained at visitors center) As well as any of the Ghost tours offered by Bulldog tours.
Make sure you walk through the market ...trinkets, wares, food stuffs but also interesting watching the sweetgrass basket weavers . Unfortunately too pricey for me.
Again ; Charleston is very charming with all its history ,people were friendly;a very walkable city; we felt safe as there are quite a few law officiers around. Many things to do in and around the area but oh so hot during the summer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators !
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family