“Beautiful Hotel with a Great Spot”

The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #22 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Mills House during a weekend trip to Charleston and were very pleased with the hotel. It had the historical details we craved, great service, and the perfect location. It was very easy to cruise through town because we could walk to almost anywhere we wanted to go from the hotel. They have a great little lounge where we enjoyed an afternoon coffee and relaxed after a day spent walking around town. I would definitely recommend this place because it makes you feel like you are in the heart of the south and the city.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Stayed one night at this hotel. The location couldn't be better. It is literally right in the middle of everything! I understand that the hotel is an "old" hotel, but there is a difference between old and outdated. This hotel is outdated. If they would renovate the rooms a little, I have no doubt this could be the best hotel in Charleston. Would I recommend staying here? Maybe if I could get a great rate. The staff was great and my overall stay was fine. I just think there are probably nicer hotels in the same area that you could get for a better rate. Luckily we used points and stayed for free. The beds are super comfortable though!!!!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We were in Charleston for a wedding and specifically wanted to stay in the Mills House with the wedding party. At $280 a night (no meals included), we expected the room to be above average - what a disappointment. The room was clean but badly in need of updating. The furniture was beat up "Holiday Inn" furniture. It was way beyond time for an update. The carpet was worn and the tv was huge - not a flat panel ( a sign of the last update?). Although the location was excellent, our next trip to Charleston we'll try a different place.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank melissavns
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My Husband and I were in Charleston Recently and were fortunate enough to stay at the Mills House. The staff was very pleasant and professional. The hotel was very Old South and extremely charming. We found the room very comfortable and think that the hotel did a great job with the restoration. It is close to great restaurants and the market.
We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYC2169
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed in the Mills with my mother and it was great. She loved the decor of the room. Being on the top floor requires a key access for the elevator which is nice. I had been there back in the mid 90's and the rooms were alot different back then. Now they are much better. I did not see any of the rooms on the lower floors and I do not know if there is any difference. In the ice/vending area of the top floor (7th) there is a Coke fountain where there is ginger ale, Coke, Diet Coke, Fanta( forgot the flavor) etc. Free of charge, YAY! Beats a vending machine. I was able to get a fridge delivered to my room.
I did get a cheese and wine coupon and enjoyed having a glass of wine at the First Shot listening to all the old disco hits of the 70's, Groovy! Just wish they would offer Pinot Grigio as a house wine also. Cheese platter was great.
As for parking the car, I would recommend letting the Valet parking crew handle your car since parking is mostly in parking decks in The historic district. Might want to program your seat settings if you have a vehicle with memory seats. Worth the extra expense and you can put it on your room bill. The Wifi was very erratic with folks using iPod touchs and iPads. This hotel needs to improve their Wifi service, period. The front desk said I need to change my settings on my iPod touch. Not going to do that.
Beds were very comfortable and being on a higher floor, you can see more of Charleston much better. The windows do open but only 4 inches. Will come back again.
For Outside dining for Dinner, Go to Husk Restaurant on Queen St. Managed to get a table without a reservation at the last hour and the food is Excellent. Will write a separate review on it.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
1  Thank penguinlimo
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Booked this hotel for 1 night in Charleston before heading to Savannah for 2 nights then on to HHI for a week. Ended up driving straight through, called to see if the room was available a night early, confirming the same rate. Arrived at 2:30 am after driving 13 hours. Service was Excellent, even at that hour, the valet who helped set up our room was a gem! Was so nice to our children and delivered a frig at 3am (at his suggestion). We liked it there so much we decided to skip Savannah and stay there 2 more nights. Called 800# but they were charging much more, they suggested we go to the front desk. She was very rude from the second I walked up, not yet knowing what we needed. She then quoted an even higher price. I asked if we could keep the price of $108 we booked at, she then told me because we checked in a day early our rate went from $108 per night to $279 per night for the nights we had already stayed. Told me rooms were never $108. After much discussion I called my travel agent, while I was standing there she booked the additional nights for $108 again. She was very upset and walked away (never returned, another person finished). Upon retunring that evening our key card would not work. My husband went to the desk (same girl working) she told him "Well, if your wife hadn't have changed your reservation this wouldn't have happened". WHAT?? We didn't change rooms! I would hate to think she got mad and changed the code, but pretty sure this is what happened. Other than that, hotel and every one else that works there were GREAT!!! We'll go back . . . maybe . . .

1  Thank Bwgwnwkw
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The lobby of the Mills House in Charleston, SC was very elegant and decorated in original Civil War era furniture. The lobby bar, "The First Shot" and the dining room were gorgeous! Lots of awesome chandeliers! The guest rooms were also decorated in historically correct pieces. The guest room was of adequate size. My only criticisms were the tv was old and got only a few stations, the 2 beds were doubles (not queens--but very comfortable), and the bath was a little dated but clean and adequate. The location was super - right on Meeting Street in the historic district. We all agreed we wanted to stay there again next time.