“Would definitely recommend...”

Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
DC
“Would definitely recommend...”
Reviewed June 1, 2007

We spent four days at the lovely Charleston Place hotel. We were easily checked in and ordered a plate of cheese and fruit that was quickly delivered to our room. It was excellent. The room was a decent size with ample storage space and clean-- not Ritz Carlton clean, but quite tidy. We had warm stone massages in their spa which were excellent. The massage therapists were very professional and did a wonderful job. We had Trinity and Tamara. The pool has a retractable roof and is quite stunning. It's a salt water pool, not chlorine, so we loved swimming in it! The fitness center was tiny but tidy. My only complaint would be that the volumes were not working on many of the tv monitors on the gym equipment. The women's locker room was far too small and the showers were dirty. (There were only two). For the price that you pay to stay in an Orient Express Hote, the locker room should have been clean. The service staff at the spa was a little bit disoriented, as well. It seemed as if this was a summer job for many of them. That said, the rest of our experience was really positive. We had breakfast daily at the Palmetto Cafe. The service and the food was excellent. Continental breakfast and a 15% gratuity is included. We always tipped extra because the service was so good. We'd also recommend cocktails and tapas at the Thoroughbred Club. We would definitely go back there!!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The women's locker room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank enigomontoya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
charleston, sc
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stayed there for our wedding night. I was just blown away by the cleanliness and professionalism......even late at night. The bellhop was there to help us at 3:00AM the morning we left for the honeymoon.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kenburkeen
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 14, 2007

We spent a few days at the Charleston Place Hotel in April and it was every bit as wonderful as it had been on past visits. The staff members are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable, spacious and tastefully decorated,and the overall services are outstanding.The amenities offered on the club floor were an added bonus this time and certainly surpassed our expectations in quality, quantity and variety. The hotel's location is perfect for walking in the downtown Charleston area - close to historic homes, the Battery, the Aquarium, famous sites, shopping, and many wonderful restaurants to suit everyone's taste. In addition, there are fine restaurants and many shops located within the hotel itself. I would highly recommend the Charleston Place Hotel to anyone who wil be visiting the Charleston area.

• Liked — EVERYTHING
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank ARNSANDOVER
New York
Reviewed May 6, 2007

I just returned from a long weekend stay at The Charleston Place Hotel with my daughter and what a wonderful time we had. From the warm and welcoming smiles to the fantastic food, specifically the lump crab and avacado salad was fantastic,. My daughter also loved the chicken fingers. The portions are so ample. We so enjoyed the local sites, the concierge was so helpful with things to do with my daughter. The hotel is so conveniently located to shopping and restaurants.

We also took full advantage of the spa and pool. They have children's manicures and other spa treatments for my daughter and I enjoyed a relaxing and amazing facial.
The pool area was lovely and so relaxing. It was such a wonderful treat. As if the truffles on our pillows each evening and the robes were not enough.

We were also staying in a room that allowed us access to the club floor and were able to partake in wonderful continental breakfasts, and afternoon tea and more delicious treats.

With all of the food we ate it was amazing that we still had an appetite for dinner, but we did and again were very pleased.
The hotel's restaurants were fabulous.

All in all we had a wonderful stay, beautiful rooms, delicious food, wonderful spa treatments, and most importantly really nice staff. We really felt special!

• Liked — Elegent
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 5, 2007

I was ready to give Charleston Place a good review. The staff is very friendly-the rooms are nice ( yes the walls are paper thin-phones ringing-tvs on-people talking-you hear it all). Workout center-shops- all the amenities and things you need. If you want quaint and charming look elsewhere.
What made me aggravated with the hotel was their taxi/driver service. You pay a premium to use their cabs. This is fine-most upscale hotels do this but at least you can call a cab service if the price is not what you want. We were with a conference and quoted 30/$ per person-I assume that was the discount rate.This is so ridiculous. They charge the same price for a room regardless of if 1 or 2 people are staying in it--why would you be charged per person for 1 cab? We called Yellow cab out front and were told they were not allowed to pick guest up at Charleston Place---so we walked up the street where we got a cab for $27/total.
We stay at very nice hotels when we travel- by our choice. Not allowing guest to chose how they travel is ridiculous. We were not even paying for this trip-- it was not about the money.

3 Thank larklaw
orientx, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, May 8, 2007
As the General Manager of Charleston Place, I was very disappointed to read the comments of a recent guest with the username “larklaw”. It seems that there was a misunderstanding regarding transportation charges. We do have a relationship with a local transportation company called the Charleston Black Cab Company. This service is not owned by Charleston Place, nor do we profit from this service. This is all done in an effort to provide clean, reliable, and safe transportation for all of our guests. The taxis that this company uses are a fleet of brand new custom made taxis that are amongst the finest in the world, with superior leg room and ample luggage space. We get many comments on how unusual and fun riding in an authentic London Taxi is.

I am truly sorry for any misunderstanding, but the Charleston Black Cab Company charges hotel guests $40.00 for a cab for up to five people or $20.00 per person on a shuttle to the airport. Other transportation companies, such as Yellow Cab, can certainly pick up guests from Charleston Place and often do. I am very sorry for this guest’s misunderstanding with the Charleston Black Cab Company, but I am very glad to hear the guest’s positive comments about the hotel’s level of service and amenities. I will certainly share this guest’s comments with the Charleston Black Cab Company so that this misunderstanding can be prevented for the future.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 4, 2007

I stayed here with my family (2 kids under 8) while I was at a conference being held in the hotel. This hotel is known for hosting conferences as there were manhy going on before and then after ours of 400+ people.

I had a Junior Suite which gives you a living type room with a couch, a desk, another tv and some chairs. The couch pulls out to a bed.

It had a king bed with a tube tv that comes out of a cabinet at the foot of the bed when you turn the tv on. It wasn't a fancy tv, just an okld tube tv that was rigged to use this cabinet. Kind of weird to have that set up in such a pricey hotel. I would have thought a niuce lcd or better yet, just put it against the wall and not at the foot of the bed.

The bathroom was spacious but nothing special. The room was sort of dark even with many lamps. The bed was very comfortable I have to say that.

There are stores inside of the hotel on the 1st level, but bring your wallet. We didnt eat at the resturant onsite instead went outside at the many stores and places to eat around the hotel.

You must try Mellow Mushroom outside of the hotel.. Excellent pizza crust!

Overall, if I wasn't staying there for a conference I would stay at the Rennisance (marriott) down the street. Nicer rooms, great breakfast, nice people and comfortable rooms.

I also tried out the SPA in the hotel.. I had the hot stone massage.. Very nice! The kids will like the pool area inside. A kiddie pool with 1 foot of water and then a larger pool that starts at 4 feet. Also has a hot tub area.

• Liked — Convenient to other places
  • Disliked — Price for what you get
2 Thank hawkmanva
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 1, 2007

I can't say enough great things about Charleston Place. I have stayed
there several times and am always pleased. During this stay I had the opportunity to enjoy the services on the Club level. I highly recommend booking a room on the Club floors if you go, they had food laid out all day, from breakfast to tea to afternoon snacks with an open bar. Add in the relaxing massage I had at the spa and I didn't even want to leave the hotel all day!

• Liked — Evening Turn Down Service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple