Belmond Charleston Place
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$305
$249
  • Pool
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$249
  • Restaurant
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$323
$279
$359
$269
$219
French Quarter Inn(Charleston)
$349
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$129
$218
$199
$228
$197
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$124
3,378 results
All reviewsclub levelpalmetto cafethoroughbred clubretractable roofbeautiful hotelrenovated roomroom serviceluxury hotelsouthern charmjunior suiterooftop poolking streetbell staffthe concierge levelturn down servicefitness centerheart of downtown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 20, 2010

My husband and I really enjoyed the 2 times we stayed at Charleston Place on his birthday. The staff made note of his birthday the first time we stayed there and asked if we were celebrating his birthday the 2nd time we called to make reservations. The room was wonderful, the staff extremely courteous, and the food at the Charleston Grill was amazing. The location is perfect- we were able to walk almost anywhere we wanted to go. We will return to Charleston, SC and the Charleston Place Hotel again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2010

I'm surprised when I read the outstanding reviews for charleston place. My husband and I have stayed a couple of times now, and realize that each time we have stayed it really is not any better than an upscale motel-- the beds are soft, the interiors of the room average and the air conditioner/heating never really works!

On top of it, it is surprisingly expensive for what you get.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sdv
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2010

As the General Manager of Charleston Place I would like to address SDV’s concerns. Though we are very glad to hear that you have stayed with us several times, I find it surprising and disconcerting to read the below average experience that you felt after your visits.

We make considerable efforts to ensure that we exceed our guest expectations. As evidenced by the many favorable reviews on Tripadvisor, most guests write positive reviews of our property and their experiences. We frequently receive feedback through websites like Tripadvisor and comments from guests, which consistently rave about the experience they receive after staying with us, indicating that experiences like this one are rare.

All of our associates are empowered to do what is necessary to ensure our guests have a terrific stay. Had we known of this guest's disappointment prior to check out, I am confident we could have satisfied this guest. I encourage this guest to please contact me directly when booking his next stay so that I can be certain he has a fantastic stay.

Reviewed January 9, 2010

We stayed at Charleston Place over the New Year's holiday as part of a conference. The is a great hotel in a fantastic city. The public facilities are upscale, ranging from an excellent restaurant to fancy shops. The convention rooms and services were first class. Our room was spacious, well appointed and quiet. Parking was cheap in the garage. I guess my one disappointment was the lack of wifi internet; this is really a requirement these days at good hotels.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I feel like I'm a bit in the Twighlight Zone here. I chose to stay at Charleston Place based primarily on the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. My experience couldn't have been more different-- leaving me wondering whether I stayed at the same Charleston Place as every other reviewer here.
But I know I was at the right place because I paid plenty for one of their rooms, was met by very professional bellmen and front desk employees-- but then I seemed to enter a different reality.
Unbeknown to me, the hotel was hosting a big conference during my stay. I find it incredibly irresponsible that the hotel not make guests aware of these kinds of events beforehand as they always disrupt the hotel and other guests (the hotel lobby and conference area was crowded and loud from morning till night, it was impossible to use the business center as it was booked by conference attendees and there were a large number of teenage kids running and shouting in the hallways of the hotel at all hours).
I left the excessive crowd and noise of the lobby and headed up to one of their junior suites. The room really couldn't have been more bland and uncomfortable-- honestly. It was a spacious rectangle of a room with a king bed, an armoir, an old, stiff upright 'granny style' sofa that pulled out as a bed (which my 11 year old daughter complained about smelling like pee-- I just told her 'get over it, honey, this is luxurious') and a table and chairs. The small tv was hidden inside the armoir and the 2nd small tv rose from an odd after-thought of a cabinet at the foot of the bed. No movies or pay for tv options. The only window in the room looked out into a bush that prevented any view out and very little sunlight into the room. Not really what I would call top-notch, high-end or comfortable. In fact, I didn't want to spend anytime at all in the room (unfortunately, the lobby was filled with hundreds of conference attendees that had spilled-over from the conference rooms on the second floor, making it uncomfortable to hang-out in any of the hotel public spaces).
The walls of the junior suite were paper thin. I understand that this is an old inn but I could hear every word spoken in the rooms on either side of mine-- seriously. In the morning I could hear the hand-held radios of the staff as they walked down the hall.
After four nights at the Charleston Place I left tired, disappointed and a bit confused-- it didn't seem anything like the reviews I had read about on Tripadvisor. Although I tried to change rooms on a couple different occasions, the hotel didn't have another options (they were completely sold out). I think a better option would have been a room in another of Charleston's hotels.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank rockybalboa08
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2010

As the General Manager of Charleston Place, I would like to respond to a recent review posted by a Tripadvisor User "rockybalboa08". We are glad that the vast majority of reviews posted by our many loyal guests, are positive, and we work hard to assure that our guests leave wanting to sing our praises. I am pleased to hear that you were met with a professional staff as I believe our associates are a very talented group of hospitality professionals, but I would like to address the other issues listed.

We do apologize for the disruptions experienced during your stay. It is true that Charleston Place Hotel welcomes many large conferences, recently including the high profile Renaissance Weekend, where we hosted leaders in business and finance, education, religion, law, medicine, government, the media, science and technology, sports, non-profits and the arts. In fact, being the major site for events in Charleston we encounter groups of all types and sizes and we diligently work to ensure that all our guests experience the best of all our facilities, but unfortunately during this time we could not move you, due to our high occupancy. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your family.

As for the crowded lobby, I am happy to say that Charleston Place is very well known for our beautiful Holiday decorations, that include many Christmas trees, decorations and a model Orient-Express train set up in our Lobby. We also have within our hotel, The Shops at Charleston Place, a collection of upscale shops and boutiques. The Shops and our Holiday decorations draw many people for sightseeing and shopping, especially during the holiday season. I apologize this was an inconvenience for you; we do encourage all to visit and enjoy our Holiday display.

I would like to respond to the other concerns directly, but due to my lack of details pertaining to your stay and guest room, I am limited to what I can address. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. It is only through feedback like yours that we can address areas that made need improvement. I invite you to contact me directly when planning your next stay in Charleston so that we can be certain you have a fantastic experience at Charleston Place Hotel.

Reviewed January 3, 2010

we just returned from our vacation. we stayed at the charleston place for two nights. had a lovely junior suite with a king bed, sofa, chairs, dining table and chairs, two tvs and a lovely marble bathroom/dressing room. we loved it as did our teens! son said pull out sofa was very comfortable and daughter thought the same of the rollaway (the rollaway actually fit in the dressing room so she felt like she had her own room!). fitness center and pool were great! all staff were very friendly and helpful (thank you Ted for recommending Blossoms restaurant!). lovely lobby with restaurants and shops. can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family