“Great, classic hotel”

Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Great, classic hotel”
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Stayed at Charleston Place and really loved it. The location is ideal. You can walk to the market, high end shopping and some great restaurants. Service was top notch, from the bellstaff to housekeeping. Roof top pool was a very nice way cool off. If I had one minor need, I wish the hotel had wireless internet or an area to get Wi-Fi. I would definitely stay there again.

2 Thank TheTravelDude

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I travelled with my family (husband, and two children ages 2 and 4) to Charleston Place for a long weekend in August, staying in the Club floor. I had a few requests (room location, crib, two double beds) and they were all granted. We were also checked in one hour before official "check-in" time. A great start!

Location is wonderful - close to both the historic area and shopping. Concierge had pre-printed instructions for driving to major sites. Very easy to visit Charleston from here.

The Club floor included an expanded continental buffet breakfast, as well as drinks and finger foods throughout most of the day. This was very convenient and the breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres were particularly extensive. Service was pleasant. I think a smaller hotel would have a hard time putting out the spread Charleston Place puts out in its Club floor.

What makes Charleston Place stand out from the myriad of other places to stay in Charleston (many more historic or quaint or intimate) is the amenities offered. The pool with surrounding deck (and kiddie pool) is a very pleasant spot. I had two spa treatments and they were wonderful and very professional. Dinner at Charleston Grill was our favorite meal of the trip. The flavors were complex and fresh - this is not your typical fried and heavy Southern cuisine. And, the service was friendl - we were truly welcomed with our two young children (and yes, placed in an appropriate corner table, away from other guests, which allowed us to be less self-conscious about our kids). They even have a children's menu. I can see Charleston Place appealing to business travellers, couples needing pampering, families with older children, and yes, families with young children.

We visited the Aiken-Rhett house, waterfront park (and its fountains), took a carriage tour, visited Patriot's Point (do not miss this if you have children), walked around the historic area, and visited Boone Hall Plantation. There were so many other things we wanted to see/do, but we simply ran out of time.

I have one critique and that is that the rooms with two double beds are probably large enough to fit two queen-size beds (or a King size bed and a double pull-out couch). This would be a more comfortable set-up for couples travelling with children. We are fairly small people and we had a hard time fitting two adults in a double-size bed. Charleston Place does not have roll-away beds. A King room with a roll-away would have been more comfortable as well. I also think coffee makers would be a good addition. Since we stayed in a Club room, it was convenient to grab a quick cup of coffee, but otherwise, you would have to go all the way to the lobby to get a coffee-to-go or order room service.

All, in all, a service-oriented hotel in a wonderful location with superior amenities and catering to many different types of travellers - from couples to families with young children. Overall, definitely recommended! My 4-year old was asking if we could return next year, and we will probably make it a yearly tradition.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank mrvinotinto
Ohio
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I was so happy with my stay...it was comfortable, relaxing and close to the shopping! I recommend the concierge level especially because the guy behind the bar is so entertaining and friendly! I'm normally hard to please but I was so happy with my visit that I've stayed at Charleston Place several times and will continue to show my loyalty to the hotel chain. It's a bit costly but absolutely worth every penny! I'll be staying there between October and November for a "girls spa vacation"...I'm in the process of booking within the next week or so...and I can't wait to submit another positive review :)

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank LMD100408
New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2009

My mom and I traveled to Charleston last month and stayed at the Charleston Place hotel. We had never been there before and found the location of the hotel to be perfect for the site seeting we had planned. So many attractions were within easy walking distance of the hotel. The room was of adequate size for 2 people; it was clean and refreshed 2 times per day and the amenities were spa-quality. The hotel itself is gorgeous!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ReadyToGoNewJersey
southern california
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I went here for a 3 day workshop. The hotel did a fabulous job with the workshop. We got rooms for $141 a night. The room was very nice - quiet, comfortable, cool, no mildew, which is common in the South. I'd rate the room at least at the 4 star level, but there were a few things that could have been nicer to make it 5 star - the TV was relatively small given today's options. Ditto for the channel lineup. I did not see in room movies. There was no in room coffee nor did they have a larger assortment of drinks. The robe and slippers were a nice touch, especially the two sizes. Health club is fine - although I've seem slightly better ones at regular chains such as Hyatt/Hilton. Pool is not large enough for laps but otherwise nice. It would have been nice to have wifi in the hotel room. One needed an ethernet cable, but it was included in the room price. Room service breakfast was nice but pricy. I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was fabulous. Overall I'd give the service a step above the full service chains such as hyatt/hilton and the rooms roughly comparable to a westin club level, modulo the tv. Also the "minibar" was just a tray of food and soft drinks. No in room wine and no in room coffee. The coffee served at the workshop however was excellent. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrea B
indianapolis, indiana
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Room rates at this hotel are similar ot those charged by the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and Intercontinental. However, the guest floors, room furniture and bed linens are typical of those found in hotels that charge half the rates imposed by Charleston Place. Our guest room was adequate but veryt tired and in need of an update. Virtually all of the staff encountered by guests (i.e., bell staff, reception and waiters/waitresses) are 20 somethings who seemed less than happy to be providing services. The only smile and true respect we encountered over a two-day period was with our waiter at breakfast. Speaking of breakfast, the dining room food and service were the highlight of the stay. Night security (to quiet down college-age kids partying an a nearby room at 2:00 am) was non-existinent.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
As the General Manager of Charleston Place, I was pleased that a recent guest with the user name “jarrett6” took the time to post a review of our property. While I am very appreciative of the positive comments this guest had about his service at breakfast, I was disappointed to read the negative comments.

It seems this guest had some disappointment with his guest room. It is always our intention to overwhelm all of our guests with the luxury and service of Charleston Place. I am sorry we were not able to do so for this particular guest during his stay. As evidenced by the many favorable reviews of our guest rooms, this is not a typical complaint we hear from our guests. We believe our guest rooms are very comfortable and luxurious rooms and are we are constantly refurbishing our hotel to maintain the highest standards of luxury our guests have come to expect at Charleston Place. Regardless, had we known this guest was not satisfied, we would have gladly moved him to a different room. We have several different rooms with different configurations and I am confident we could have satisfied this guest.

Customer Service is very important to us at Charleston Place and every associate in our hotel is empowered to do what is necessary to ensure that all of our guests have a terrific stay. I feel confident that had we known about this guest's disappointment during the stay, we could have corrected the problem before he checked out. I invite him to contact us and give us another chance.
South Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We live close and frequently travel to Charleston and we always stay downtown but had never stayed at Charleston Place. On this trip we decided to give CP a try and it is now our favorite historic district hotel. The staff and hotel are absolutely terrific! Club level accommodations are terrific. The spa was, as usual, great as was the food in the club, dining room and room service! The only thing that can improve the CP is wireless internet access.

1 Thank PhoebeSC