“They went above and beyond to make us feel at home!”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #14 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Florida
“They went above and beyond to make us feel at home!”
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Our 12 year old son had just been released from a very stressful stay at the Children's Hospital in Charleston. I called to get a room for us to rest for a few days before the long drive back to Florida where we live. I explained to the person who answered our situation. THey immediatly put us through to Laura Augenblick who handles VIP's. By the way we are far from being VIP's. She set us up with a beautiful room at a great rate and then treated us to breakfast each morning on top of everything else. Also as we were resting in our beautiful room we heard a knock at the door. It was the hotel delivering a wine and cheese plate for us and a cookies and milk plate for our son!! Just amazing how above and beyond they went to make us feel at home and be able to rest. We will never forget how much that meant to us during a stressful time for our family! We hope to visit again soon, but just for fun this time!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank mkaufman15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed March 27, 2009

My room was very cozy - classic decor but with modern amenities. I especially loved having the huge armoire to be able to hang all my work clothes. Bathroom was big and clean, and housekeeping restocked tolietries twice a day.

Had room service dinner twice and the food was spectacular. It was pricey, but probably one of the best room service meals I've ever had. Great she-crab soup!

Only minor complaint would be the gym hours - would be nice if it were open at 5:30-6am to better accomodate business travelers that want to squeeze in a quick workout before starting the day.

The spa was relaxing and I enjoyed a swedish massage there. Price for a massage was on par with other spas.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank jaimecb
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 12, 2009

My first impression was a good one. The hotel lobby is beautiful, the bell staff was prompt and welcoming, and the front desk staff was equally as warm. My visit to the lobby restroom was my first displeasure. I would consider the cleanliness and decor of the restroom more suiting to a rest stop on an interstate. The room was adequate, but not nearly worth the money. It could use a major remodeling. The pool and spa were delightful, and the restaurants were very good. Even with the location of this hotel, I would not pay more than $150 per night to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, March 31, 2009
In response to Livemusic_8, I would like to apologize if the restroom happened to be unkempt at the time you visited. Throughout the day we have our housekeeping staff in these restrooms making sure that all supplies are replenished and that it is clean as they are also available to patrons of the lobby stores as well as guests in our Palmetto Café. That being said, I feel that one of our best resources is our guests and we can learn from their opinions. If we are told what our problems are we can correct them immediately. We pride ourselves on making your stay exactly as you would like and hope that you choose to return to our city and our hotel.
Indianapolis
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Came to this hotel for a conference. It was really beautiful has been well kept. I am a light sleeper and this hotel was one of the quietest I have ever stayed in. Extremely beautiful old hotel with unmatched service. We were well taken care of during our conference. The food was good and the staff very attentive. Beware of the overly delicious cheese danish lurking about. I heard the grits were to die for as well. The rooms are nearly as unique as the hotel itself. Lots of special touches. I liked that they let you "sample" the spa items they were selling by placing them in the rooms for toiletries.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CherieLK
NYC
Reviewed February 26, 2009

The hotel is very nice indeed, the rooms are moderate sized and comfortable, the bathrooms are fantastic, the service is remarkably personal for such a large hotel, the spa and gym very good, and the location can't be beat. I would think seriously about staying here again because the hotel really does have everything.
That said, this is not an ultra-luxury hotel. The sound proofing is dreadful, we could here everyone walking by our door and our neighbors in the next room (who did not seem to be especially loud). As noted by a previous reviewer, the person taking the room service order gave us incorrect information so 2 items were entirely different than described. Also, the hotel is huge so in the main areas there is a convention type of feel. In sum, very very nice but not quite perfect.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
orientx, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, March 5, 2009
As the General Manager of Charleston Place I was very disappointed to read the recent review posted by a user named HPRIC from Washington on Tripadvisor.

It seems this guest had some disappointment with his room service. It is always our intention to overwhelm all of our guests with the luxury and service of Charleston Place and every associate in our hotel is empowered to do what is necessary to ensure that all of our guests have a terrific stay. I feel confident that had we known about this guest's disappointment during their stay, we could have corrected the problem before they checked out.

As far as the difficulties encountered with the conference, I can only say that had we been made aware of the situation it would have been rectified immediately. This is not a typical complaint that we hear as evidenced by positive feedback from other meeting planners and attendees.

I would like to thank this guest for his/her feedback. It is only through feedback like this that we may identify areas of concern and correct them for the future. I invite this guest to contact me directly for any future reservations so we can be certain all of these issues have been addressed.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I stayed at the Charleston Place Hotel while attending a business conference for several days in mid-February. This was my first visit to Charleston, and to the hotel. It is indeed quite impressive. You should read the many positive reviews for the hotel posted on this website, as these are truly deserved by this special place. Beautiful facilities and prompt, courteous service make for an excellent stay. The location in the heart of the historic district cannot be beat. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Thank KerryWho?
Columbia SC
Reviewed February 22, 2009

I had always wanted to stay at Charleston Place, but the price tag kept me away. It can be crazy expensive to stay there. However, there were rates available in my price range this trip, so I finally got to stay there -- and was not disappointed.

Most times one does get what one pays for, and that is the case here. It's pricey for a reason, folks. Rooms are spotless and immaculately decorated, with posh beds and large baths with marble showering areas. Service is A+, with staff frequently using the guests' names as the walk around the property. Neighboring stores feature boutique-type shopping and luxury goods. The Palmetto Cafe restaurant offers the best crab salad I've ever eaten in my life. The Thoroughbred bar is full of mahogany and offers relaxing, high class ambience, as well as a fun perch for people watching. I can also highly recommend the neighboring Peninsula Grill for a fine dining experience, as we ate there and had one of the best meals I've had in Charleston. FABULOUS!

I loved my stay there. My only regret was not having time to try the hotel spa area, as the pool looked very inviting and the services available were enticing (massages, facials, etc.).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business