“Devil is in the details”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed February 16, 2009

The hotel was elegant and pleasant overall. The guestrooms were great and the service was extremely to fairly friendly. However, there were a lot of little annoyances that on their own were no big deal, but in total added up to a disappointing stay. The room service order taker didn't know basic things about the (expensive) menu, no coffee makers in the rooms, the bellman gave me a limo instead of the taxi I requested, costing my trip to the airport twice as much.We were at the hotel for a conference. The room set up was wrong at first, the breakout food was brought at the wrong time, we had to remind them to bring in A/V equipment and the event manager never came to see how things were going, There were even more things wrong, but you get the point.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank HPRIC

Reviewed January 31, 2009

Chaleston Place is the ultimate in Southern hospitality. From the exquisite lobby to the well designed and elegantly decorated rooms it is a first class experience. The personnel are professional and personable, and there is nothing about this property that is left to chance! Their attention to detail is exceptional!

Located in the heart of Charleston, right in the middle of King Street, one of life's best shopping experiences, Charleston Place is the ultimate travel experience!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel on three separate occasions and would firmly recommend this property whilst in Charleston. Number one would be for location because it truly is the centre of the city. Roads, shops and restaurants seem to emanate from here and all, except for a few key gems are within walking distance. Next is the friendly and welcoming "southern hospitality" service. Just like the rest of the South, what it lacks in proficiency it makes up for with charm.
The building itself, in Charleston terms is imposing and vast, occupying a whole block. It is crammed with great stores, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Mont Blanc etc. A very pretty lobby with a huge chandelier framed by two sweeping staircases feels incredibly festive when decorated for the holidays. Solid cocktails, good tapas style food and a sophisticated afternoon tea are served in The Thouroughbred Club. A lunch at the Palmetto Cafe is essential and is the best I have found in the city. My longtime friends who live in Charleston view the hotel as the best stop for food in Charleston, period. I agree with them that the food at the Charleston Grill is well above average, nearly very good but I guess its hard to impress someone who lives in Manhattan, especially when you are paying Manhattan prices. The "Fried Chicken Tenders" from room service are amazing! The Spa has a lovely pool with polite staff who take pride in their treatments. The gym seems cramped.
The rooms are certainly not the best I have ever stayed in but are very comfortable in a classic way. Bathrooms could be updated and new televisions etc but they certainly do not detract from that reassuring feeling of luxury. The housekeeping team are very friendly and do a good job. I would recommend upgrading to the concierge floors where the bar and food presentations make it hard to want to leave to go out into the "real world", even though Charleston itself may sometimes seem more like a movie set than real.
I have only experienced two problems in this hotel. One overcharge and an issue where the porters took over 50 minutes to collect my bags on departure which left me pressed for time, both of which were handled graciously. On my most recent trip I learnt that those beautiful black London taxis are no longer positioned outside and instead various towncar and suv drivers wait outside seemingly eager to take your business, at a cost. The driver insisted that I pay him before he would take me to the airport then he proceded to drive to a nearby hotel to ask one of his colleagues a question and to share a joke or two before finally continuing our journey. A surreal incident! I suggest that you ask the concierge to call a taxi ahead of time, preferably the British black ones.
If you have experienced other Orient Express properties in Europe and Asia then this hotel might at first shock and not meet certain expectations. There always seem to be a lot of "convention types" and certain areas of the hotel seem to be quite generic, though with that being said I have always enjoyed every stay here and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank nycminded
Reviewed December 5, 2008

I stayed at the Charleston Place hotel for business. While it is one of the nicer hotels in Charleston, I still think that it is overhyped for what it really is. Service is not spectacular. The rooms are a bit dated. And the food is terrible. Prices were outrageous for parking and other miscellaneous items. The beds were not that comfortable. And, I couldn't get the temperature set correctly. It was either too hot or too cold. On the positive side, the lobby looked beautiful as it was decorated for Christmas. Would I stay here again? No, I would not. It was a decent enough place to stay for business, but had I gone to Charleston for personal reasons, I would not choose this hotel. It is expensive and not worth the money.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2008

Simply the best hotel in Charleston. My wife and I took a short excursion to the coast, and had the time of our lives. The location was fantastic and the service even better. The Charleston Place does everything right!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2008

I recently recommended the Charleston Place to a colleague as the place to stay in Charleston, who then came across the “crummy convention hotel” review on your site.

I have stayed at the Charleston Place on several occasions over the past 5 years. I have even had the pleasure of staying (at quite a higher cost than listed in the review) in room 4C and 3C which are identical. So, when the review “crummy convention hotel”, was brought to my attention, I was compelled to write a response. The review made me rethink a popular saying to read “you can’t please everyone all of the time, and some people you can’t please any of the time”.

I am in the design field and am very attentive to detail. During my stays at Charleston Place, I have never experienced problems with the rooms or any of the hotel’s amenities. The rooms have always been immaculate and exquisitely appointed.

As far as the “busy feel” of the hotel is concerned, it is a large hotel, which should mean lots of people. But at no time did this interfere with the pleasure of my stay or impede my relaxation. As with a restaurant, if I don’t see people patronizing a service oriented establishment, it usually indicates something is not acceptable. The busy-ness of the hotel should be interpreted as a reflection of the quality of service.

The staff is one of the main reasons I stay at the Charleston Place whenever I am in Charleston. Nowhere else have I experienced a more pleasant, dedicated work force, period! Every staff member that passes by delivers eye contact and a greeting with a smile. This southern warmth is expressed by all levels of staffing and is responsible for my feeling of welcome and care while I am away from home.

I have stayed in luxury hotels around the world and find the Charleston Place to equal or exceed the standards for luxury accommodations.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank noahAnnapolis
Reviewed November 7, 2008

Charleston Place!
Hands down the best place to stay in Charleston. Perfect location because you don't want to be driving around. Amenities were way above average. Pool/spa area were the best! Even had a sauna/steam room in the locker room. The staff there goes completely out of their way to make sure you are pampered and taken care of! Amelia at the hotel was unbelievable

Thanks again!