“Sophisticated and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston
“Sophisticated and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Very clean and the hotel staff is very courteous. The Thoroughbred in the hotel is a nice bar to lounge and order drinks. The location is excellent as it's close to the sites and great restaurants of downtown Charleston.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Nelson E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We traveled to this lovely hotel and were met with accommodations and service that were well below par. Note the hotel is undergoing a 4 year renovation project that they do not disclose upon booking or upon check in so be sure to ask for a room away from the construction. With room mishaps and an on-sight manager that didn't take care of business, i.e restitution for our multiple troubles we left with a sour taste without plans to return; however upon alerting the general manager of our experience he immediately responded and made it up to us (lemons to lemonade) The hotel is truly lovely, great restaurants, a fantastic barista, and ideal location and I am delighted to report we will indeed be their guests again. Oh, the pet fee is not unreasonable. The Charleston Grill is a must.

Room Tip: note where the construction is currently
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank ashley m
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Ashley,

We are so glad that we were able to turn your trip around while you were still with us. We want to make sure that every guest has the best experience possible and anything less should be addressed. While we are sorry you had some issues at first, we do appreciate you reconsidering us as your hotel of choice for Charleston and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Just had our third visit here and absolutely love it! The staff here makes you feel so welcome and special and although it is a bit pricey you cannot beat the location and service! To experience Charleston at its best stay at Charleston Place! Great restaurants too!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JJ J
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We travel a lot, and Charleston Place is always our favorite place to be. Their friendliness and helpfulness on a consistent basis is better than any other place we have been, and we have stayed at a lot of 5 star places.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank William S
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

My family and I spent four nights in Charleston over Spring Break and spent two here and two at the French Quarter Inn (another review). Both were excellent but I'm giving this one the edge. The location is excellent with two of the most important streets straddling the city block location of the hotel - Meeting St running down to the Battery and King Street with its shops and restaurants. Additionally it sits at the head of the historic market. The hotel building itself is in the midst of a small stylish shopping arcade and is modern (though low key) rather than historic. Not really my ideal setting for a hotel but it does have three attractive courtyards which live up to the image of a luxury hotel.

We booked a deluxe junior suite. What we received was a large living room with both a dining table and living area with a separate master bedroom. It was a very nice suite and perfect for having two young children on the sofa bed. The scale of the room versus our other Charleston hotel really made a difference in my comparison. On our arrival evening we opted to have room service and I was very pleased to find that the in-room menu is actually the menu for the Charleston Grill, which is one of the reasons I chose the hotel in the first place due to its reputation as leading restaurant in a city famous for food. We had an excellent room service experience with a highly polished French waiter arriving at our room and setting the dining table for a full white linen three course meal. The food was of course excellent (and the children's needs were catered for).

The hotel has a grand lobby with two sets of sweeping stairs heading to the second floor. There was a little more foot traffic through the lobby than I am familiar with but I do think that it was not so much due to the shops rather than the hotel seems to be very popular with the local crowd for lunches, cocktails and dining. We spent an evening at the actual Charleston Grill itself and the hotel's bar - it would be an error to stay there and not enjoy the full service experience of those venues. The Charleston Grill itself was excellent - great food but the service was exceptional.

It not a perfect hotel but the room combined with food and service that lives up to the imagined south makes a great combination.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank PADILL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Very nice and clean place to stay. The staff was helpful and very friendly. This place is near the market district close to many landmarks. I would definitely stay here again. You can't go wrong. Many great restaurants to try.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rick K
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is absolutely full of charm and elegance! Also, the gardens and landscaping outside the hotel is phenomenal on its own! Aside from it being gorgeous and having wonderful rooms, plus a fantastic location that's accessible from 3 different streets, the hotel staff is wonderful! For starters, I went to the restaurant for breakfast and I ordered something which I didn't end up liking, and they were totally awesome, they let me order the buffet but let me have anything from the buffet, including hot stuff even though I asked for the basic buffet! Secondly, I was so careless that I left my wallet, with money, credit cards, and my ID, in the hotel room, and by the time I figured it out, I was already 2 hours away in Savannah. They overnighted it to me because I was leaving for New Jersey that day, and I just got it now, and nothing was out of place! STAY AT THIS HOTEL IF YOU'RE GOING TO CHARLESTON! I highly recommend it! Thanks Charleston Place, I will return to Charleston solely to visit the hotel, and for the food! :)

• Stayed March 2014