“Charleston Place Hotel”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is one of the finest hotels that I have had the pleasure to visit. It is first class in every way. We stay on the concierge level where they provide food and beverages nearly all day. The location of the hotel puts the guest in walking distance of great shopping and many historic attractions.

Room Tip: Stay on the concierge level, if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,335)

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Sorry so late reviewing this wonderful hotel! We stayed here for Christmas and had the best time! The room was lovely, the restaurants are some of the best in Charleston, and we love the Thoroughbred Club Bar! This hotel has it all. It is located near everything that you could possibly want to do in Charleston!
There are nice shops inside the hotel, and right outside the hotel is all of the nicest stores in town. The hotel was decorated so nicely for Christmas too!
We won't stay anywhere else!!!

Room Tip: Our room faced the street that all the shops are on (can't remember the name of the street) but...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014

You know you have arrived at a hotel that fits the whole old elegance of Charleston upon arrival. The marble entrance with two spiral staircases are wonderful. But the great experience does not stop there, it has modern touches in the room like a shower with multiple outlets (but I had a hard time figuring out how to use it at first). The staff was wonderful, really a great experience. And the rate was actually reasonable.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for queen or king size beds, I got full size beds by accident since I did not specify...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank irbflyfish
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Lovely appointed, clean and spacious rooms with spacious shower/tub. Staff is absolutely friendly and helpful! I recollect especially wonderful service from: Larry at Concierge, Stephen Stubbs in banquet service staff, John at Bell Stand and Kyle in Palmetto for breakfast service. Superb! Food is great at both Palmetto and Charleston Grill. The hotel is in a great location and I enjoyed walking in the area. The only things I found a little annoying for me personally: I wish there was better lighting available in the room, and the chair seemed too low for the desk making it uncomfortable to work on my laptop. Also have to mention the really comfortable bed and pillows! I did visit the spa, which felt a little "clinical" and basic in design, however I got the best massage I have had in the past 20 years, from Thelma!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

If I could give it 4.5 stars, I would. Reception was not as well attended as I would have expected for an Orient Express hotel. It took a long time to be able to settle with the cabbie as his credit card machine wouldn't swipe, so by the time we were ready to enter, the doorman had moved away (not to another arrival) and we had to maneuver our bags and the heavy door. The room assignment was a spacious king deluxe and a small functional balcony that overlooked Meeting and Market Streets. Bed was a little too firm for me, but we were in the older part of the hotel which suited me just fine. Bathroom spacious enough. We were with a 2 day conference and the meeting area(the Pavilion) was a good size for our group of 25 or so. The shops in the lobby were upscale and the exercise area was decent. The hot tub jets didn't work, but the water was hot.
The biggest drawback is I'm used to a small coffee maker in ANY hotel, and there was none. When you have to get out to a meeting, the lack of a cup of coffee is significant! And paying room service for a pot of coffee for 2 would have been over $20. Not reasonable to me.
The staff were nice and helpful otherwise. It was clean and I liked the worn Oriental rug look personally. I think it gives it character.

Room Tip: Ask for a specific bed accommodation which was available, and I forgot until too late. I would have...
Reviewed February 26, 2014

It’s only fair to tell you that our prejudice is for small luxury resorts, which Charleston Place certainly is not. What it is however is a superbly run large hotel that delivers excellent service from a top-notch well trained staff. The property, as many have pointed out, is a bit tired and if it were not in the middle of a facelift, I might have thought twice before giving it five stars, The “bones’ of the property are excellent though – wide hallways, ample quiet rooms, and excellent facilities - so once the refurbishment is complete, there really will be very little to think about. From its service to its amenities to its underlying desire to pamper and please - this is very much a five star hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Charleston Place is a beautiful property, right in the heart of Charleston. Within walking distance to many attractions and restaurants , right at Market Street and five minutes from the water. The rooms - I stayed in one of the renovated rooms - are sleek and comortable, plenty of room and all the amenities.

1  Thank Alec H