“Charleston Place is the perfect hotel to host a meeting”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you're looking for a great location to host your next meeting, please take the time to check out the Charleston Place Hotel. As a professional meeting planner this hotel has everything you need. The best part is they have a DMC as part of the hotel - - no separate billing! The meeting rooms are great, hard walled. The food is outstanding. The level of customer service provided is stellar. The sleeping rooms are very nice and just what you need at the end of a long day. The location of the hotel puts you right in the heart of Charleston. I’d do a meeting there anytime.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JT T
Write a ReviewReviews (3,332)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Charleston Place during a recent trip to Charleston. I snagged an "Express Deal" for the hotel at a seriously reduced price on Priceline. After staying at the hotel I would say that while I was pleased with the accommodations for the price we paid, I would have been seriously disappointed if we had paid full price.

The hotel was lovely and the location was GREAT. The bellmen/women and the valets were great, and the ladies at the front desk were very pleasant and friendly. Because we booked through Priceline we weren't guaranteed our choice of bed, and it being Labor Day weekend all regular king size beds were taken. SO, they upgraded us to Club Level with two double beds. We were initially kind of hesitant about this because, hi, we are on vaca and didn't really plan on sleeping Donna Reed Show-style, but I understand that we booked through Priceline which doesn't guarantee the type of room you get--and we'd been traveling since 3:30 am so honestly two double beds didn't sound so bad.

However, I did get slightly annoyed with someone I took to be some sort of manager, who became pretty "intense" when trying to sell us on the Club Level room. He was a little combative about it when frankly I thought we were being pretty easy-going about accepting the situation. Like, we aren't raising our voices or being rude, so don't get uptight. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

That being said, the most unfriendly, curt staff member was on the Club Level. She was super off-putting. If I had paid full-price to stay on Club Level and that was the kind of "hospitality" I received, I would be pretty annoyed. I mean, no smiles, no friendly attitude--at one point I saw her and another staff person making snarky comments about some of the guests. I mean, REALLY? Unprofessional much?

Additionally, the food presentations that we had were so-so. I mean, they looked pretty, but were so-so. Not BAD, just not that great. The coffee, however, was excellent.

I will say the room was nice, if not a little dated. The beds were super comfortable, the room was dark and quiet. The bathroom was really nice.

I will summarize by saying, for what we paid and for the minimal amount of time we were in the hotel/room, Charleston Place was fine. However, I would not pay full-price to stay at this hotel, and I would not pay additional money to stay on the Club Level--spend the money you save and eat/drink at the many wonderful establishments in Charleston.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank amysimsbarry
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The Charleston Place is a wonderful hotel in the heart of Charleston. The service was excellent and we could walk everywhere. Beautiful place and very romantic! I will stay there again. Worth every penny.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at Charleston Place in early September, 2013.

I wanted to love this hotel. The location is great and accessible to everything in Charleston. The greeting from the staff and desk crew was very nice. The concierge was very helpful as well. The hotel is lovely and grand. We had a suite (room 214) with a separate bedroom and sitting room that was nicely decorated and in good shape.

However, there are/were problems that detract from what would otherwise have been a good experience.

First, upon finishing a shower, my wife picked up a “clean” towel from the rack that had an obvious brown stain. What it was doesn’t matter it was disgusting and quite off-putting. The room is not cheap and housekeeping should have caught the stain well before the towel ever made it to the room. Additionally, I had to call housekeeping three times to get them to bring a replacement towel up to the room and take the stained towel away. Heck, a hotel at half or a third of the price should not let such towels go into circulation. It seems like a small thing – but at these prices it shouldn’t happen.

My second major problem was the air conditioning. Making the reservation, my wife asked for a room with excellent air conditioning. Charleston is a hot and sticky place in the summer and we wanted our room to be a refuge. Besides, I want the room to be as cold as possible when I sleep. While the air conditioning in the sitting room was fine, the bedroom was not very cool. So much so, that we were lying on top of the sheets (and, after I asked the desk earlier hard to have the system checked out). I called for a fan. After two additional calls and maybe an hour, they found one and delivered it to the room. It helped, but the room was still quite warm.

As said, these are small things… but when you’re paying hundreds of dollars a night, you expect seamless, easy service and attention to details. I think should I return to Charleston I will try one of the other luxury hotels in the city before returning to Charleston Place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DCroamer
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have had three super experiences at this wonderful hotel. Service is superb, location is outstanding and the property is very classy. Room Service continental breakfast is not to be missed! We have visited over Christmas holiday in the past and this was our first summer visit. It's a great choice any time of the year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Perfect in every way - All aspects of the facility was the best. Service was above average. We were looking for a better than average base to see Charleston from and this worked out perfectly. The addition of all the botique shops was a nice touch for those looking for a little more.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location. Great walking from the hotel to several areas. Good service and very nice rooms. Pool was excellent as well. We had a really good stay. Business cenyer was also very nice and the conference went without a hitch. Food and service was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013