“Great Hotel, Awsome Location”

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Hotel, Awsome Location”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel is fantastic! Has an old hotel feel with modern conveniences, You feel like you stepped back in time so to speak.

Hotel staff is wonderful and helpful. They all made you feel welcome. The valet and bellman were very helpful with information about the hotel(location of ice, restaurants and bar in the hotel, etc.).

The hotels location is perfect to Charleston City Market(a must see), we went everyday, carriage rides, bike cabs, walking to restaurants, shopping, tours etc.

This is the hotel we will go back to when we visit Charleston again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adam Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is in a location very convenient to the historic district of Charleston. Our room was really comfortable and surprisingly quiet even though we had a small balcony overlooking King and it was a crazy busy summer weekend. The a/c never quite kept up - it was comfortable enough but not really cool. I think that is just a general hazard of Charleston in the summer however - I've encountered that in other hotels there during July and August.

The room was nicely laid out and the beds were very comfy, but it really wasn't as exceptional as you might expect from this place, especially considering the room rates. The room wasn't crowded, but it certainly wasn't large and there was no minibar. The pool area was pretty with lots of lounge chairs although it was really crowded on the weekend.
There was nothing wrong with the room, but it seemed due for an update - it looked just a bit tired.

The staff overall were nice - the valet guys were especially friendly and helpful. The bar was great - it was the one bar in town not overrun with twenty somethings. Nothing wrong with really young people, but this seemed to be bachelor/bachelorette party weekend and the entire town was teeming with the barely out of undergrad crowd and they were all smashed. Again, that is probably typical of Charleston in July.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived late at night, at 0038 (in the morning), the Security acted as the Bellman, and was most kind and informative. Our room with nice, bed really comfortable... Over the next several days we had the opportunity to try their restaurants... outstanding service and the food was fantastic. Their staff was very helpful, and friendly... room was always clean and cleaned. The TV was more then big enough.. The meeting rooms, and ball rooms and the food serviced was again, outstanding...

Room Tip: Just call and tell them what you want... I really didn't, I did call several weeks in advance an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Last week I stayed at the CP and was disappointed to say the least. Upon check-in, we were upgraded to a "Junior Suite" from our King Room we had booked. Unfortunately we had a view of an alley way and the room was not really my cup of tea. There was stains on the couch, bed sheets and the room just felt really unkept.

I had called down and the staff was apologetic and changed the sheets later that evening. But overall the staff was pretty inconsistent. The cleaning staff came knocking at 8am even with the do not disturb sign on the door; there was no turndown service on the 2nd evening; the bathroom vents emitted a strange grinding sound throughout our trip; and the television was not working for most of our stay.

I know part of the allure to CPH is that it's supposed to make you feel like you've stepped back in time, but unfortunately they just aren't doing it right. I've been to Charleston quite a few times and know the feel of Charleston hotel life, just disappointed by Charleston Place. Other than the pool, spa and lobby bar I'm not sure I'd venture back. Definitely does not deserve to be a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, SC
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We usually spend a night for our anniversary in Charleston as my parents live nearby and can take the little one. This year we used credit card points to book a room at the Charleston Place.

We arrived between 1 and 2 pm and they did not have our room ready which was disappointing. We stowed our luggage with the bellhop and shopped until they could accomodate us. When we came back they had put us in a room with double beds. I immediately called and told the front desk it was our anniversary and we had booked a queen or king. I ended up speaking to the front desk manager who said he could not do anything for me until I asked his name and how to spell it. He then changed his tune and asked for 15 minutes to see if he could accomodate my request.

He arrived at out room 15 minutes later and belittled us by saying that when you use credit card points you get the worst room with no guarantees about bed size. He then said he was putting himself out by moving us. The new room did have a king but was frankly a bit tired and could have used updating.

My big complaint is the poor customer service. If the hotel does not want to allow people to use credit card points, do not accept them. Their is no justification for treating someone that does like a second class citizen because the hotel decided they would take credit card points. It is also a foolish long-term business plan. We are a young couple who will for the next 30-40 years spent a couple nights a year in Charleston. If the Charleston Place had excelled, it might have become our go-to spot.

Their are terrific properties in Charleston that treat people well and do not rest on their laurels--take my advice and stay at one of them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tandrews
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Andrews,

I am sorry that you felt our Front Desk Manager was not hospitable during your arrival. Looking at your records it seems that you made your reservation through an online company that redeems points and in turn pays us for the room. I do want to make it clear that we do not treat online reservations any differently from other bookings. The booking form that was sent to us from the company you redeemed points with requested "twin beds" which remains on your reservation record today. Our Front Desk Manager said they would do everything in their power to find a King room and was able to do so within the hour. After moving around a few reservations, we were able to upgrade you to a Junior Suite with a King bed an hour before our standard check in time of 4pm. Again, I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Paul Stracey
Charleston Place Hotel
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Location , staff are great. Also great restaurants. Service worthy of orient express name.

But no minibar, no kettle, small tv, not enough power sockets except for work desk. Shower curtain was moldy until I asked to change.
Not worthy of expensive room rate.

• Stayed July 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2013

For the start of our Charleston vacation the Charleston Place really seemed like a perfect fit and a great convenience given the location. After the second day though I became slightly disappointed wishing we may have chosen one of the smaller boutique hotels such as the Vendue Inn where we stayed last year. The Jr. Suite is very nice and roomy but our two televisions have been working sporadically, and our room phone does not work either. We have only been in our room during the evening, so we have not been terribly inconvenienced, however this is something you would not expect to occur in a five star hotel. I will say the beds are comfortable and the maids/wait staff have been very friendly. The real issue I had came last night when I went to the front desk to get a new key made to our room. I approached the receptionist at the front desk asking to get another key for the room because my wife had left hers in the room and I had given her mine so that she could could take a nap while I stayed out with my in laws. I gave the receptionist our room number and my ID which is expected for guests safety, but she continued to question me because my wife's name was the one on the reservation (same last name). She proceeded to ask me to describe our room type and layout and had me repeat my room number. She then called the room twice awaking my wife but she could not hear her on the other end which is one of the reasons we figured out the room phone didn't work. Overall, our stay was pleasant, but I may look elsewhere for future visits.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family