“Impeccable as always”

Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Impeccable as always”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Shared a wonderful two night stay with my wife at the Charleston Place Hotel over the holiday weekend. Despite being fully booked, the service was, as always, top notch. Check in was friendly and painless and our room was wonderfully clean and extremely comfortable, the beds being hands down, the most comfy of any hotel I've ever stayed at. The location of the hotel could not be more perfect, the heart of downtown Charleston, central to everything including shopping, restaurants, and site seeing. Having stayed at The Charleston Place several times, we have always found the staff to be extremely courteous and always attentive to the guests needs. The Spa is wonderful and extremely well managed with exceptional treatments available. I had the opportunity to have the Moroccan hot oil scalp massage which was pure heaven. The recently renovated Palmetto Cafe has an outstanding buffet breakfast which, weather permitting, can be enjoyed in their beautiful garden courtyard. For my money, The Charleston Place is the ultimate for hospitality and service when visiting Charleston. I recommended it to all of my friends who visit Charleston and none have been disappointed. It will continue to be my only choice for a hotel when visiting.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Lanny,

We are so happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us over the holiday weekend. We appreciate your feedback as reviews like these help us to better understand which amenities and hotel features guest enjoy. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Charleston Place Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2013

When I want to get away and feel like I've step back in time where manners are important, tradition is honored and history comes alive I go the The Charleston Place Hotel. It is our family's favorite place to stay, I believe I've lost count as to how many times we've been and it NEVER disappoints! The staff is so friendly and helpful, the food is delicious and the Spa is oooohhh so relaxing, a real treat!
I have sent several friends here who have all said the same thing its an incredible place that draws you back. Go!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rosalie,

Thank you for being a loyal guest. We are so glad that you and your family have enjoyed staying with us and continue to build memories at our hotel. And thank you for referring us to your friends! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My friends and I love this place. It's really the service that I like the best. We stayed in the Club area, and although a little more, it's was well worth it. Great place to start the night. I especially liked the Palmetto Cafe. It looks like they just changed the menu and updated the restaurant since last time I was here. Room service was spot on. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Charleston, but its the service at this hotel that sets them apart from the others. Professional and NICE!!

Room Tip: Choose Club Level. It's worth the extra $$. Great drinks and food all day long.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I booked this trip as a (long-awaited) weekend getaway with my mother, and everything about the hotel helped make our time together special. I scanned recent reviews before writing mine, and was surprised at the comments about this not being a 5-star property. Our experience was quite the opposite, and I have a friend who stayed shortly after I did and was equally pleased. I'm pretty discriminating, having stayed (often with my dog) at this and other top-tier properties around the country, and our well-appointed room, delicious food, the hotel's amenities and professional staff put Charleston Place on my 'places to return soon' list.

We easily parked ourselves in the attached parking garage to save on valet costs, and were greeted warmly when we arrived. Check-in was effiicient and very friendly - and to our surprise we'd been upgraded to the Club floor! Lucky timing, I'm sure, but next time I stay I'd pay for it. Very much worth the price. The (very nice-looking, by the way) bellman took us to our room, and from that moment on everything we needed or asked about was taken care of by friendly staff -- from the waiters and bartenders in the Club Lounge, to the attendants at the pool, to the concierge and even Housekeeping, who hurried to finish up when we returned to the room while she was still cleaning.

If you're deciding whether to stay on the Club floor, it's quite amazing. Between breakfast, afternoon tea with sweet & savory treats, early evening hors' dourves, cocktails, and desserts & cordials later in the evening, we literally could have chosen not to leave the hotel. I can't begin to tell you how delicious it all was -- like having our own Carson & Mrs. Padmore from Downton Abbey taking care of us. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Views from the Club Floor are terrific. There's more foot traffic on the 4th floor near the spa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Shannon,

Thank you for the kind review. We pride ourselves on having friendly and knowledgeable staff, so we appreciate your feedback. We are also glad that you were able to enjoy the club level, it really is a treat! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Charleston Place is my go-to hotel when I'm in Charleston. I love the location, just across the street from the City Market, so you're right in the midst of things, but set back off the street in a courtyard so you don't have to contend with city noise. The rooms are spacious and well-kept, as are the bathrooms (good shower too!). I was able to stay on the Club Floor this visit, which was a real treat...virtually nonstop food and drinks available all day, from breakfast to afternoon tea, hors d'oeuvres, late-night desserts. There was also a computer and printer available, handy for printing out boarding passes. Charleston is a foodie city with many wonderful restaurants, but the dining choices in Charleston Place are worthy of a visit, even if you weren't staying at the hotel (we saw a number of locals there, celebrating special occasions or just having a night out.) Had a wonderful dinner at Charleston Grill (I didn't go the Southern route for dinner, but my lamb chops were delicious); thumbs up for the Palmetto Cafe for breakfast, lunch, and Sunday brunch as well. A group of us also had tapas and cocktails in the Thoroughbred Club one evening...more than enough for a meal! Also loved that the hotel is flanked by shopping galleries (so you can spend money even before heading into town :) Above all, what I like about Charleston Place (and all The Orient-Express hotels I've stayed in) is the level of service. The staff -- from housekeeping to restaurant waitstaff to front desk to doormen, etc. -- is always unfailingly polite, friendly, and out-of-their way helpful. Couldn't have been a nicer visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Carol,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we are your “go-to” stay in Charleston. Our staff truly are wonderful, so friendly and reflect the Southern charm that the city is known for. We truly appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Los Angeles
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel through American Express Business Platinum travel. It was on the list of "Fine Hotels and Resorts". It is no where near the calibre of hotel that normally gets that designation. I called Amex and so informed them.
The hotel appears to be a remodeled version of a Holiday or Ramada Inn with a Gucci store in the shopping gallery. Apparently, someone decided that hanging a valance over the shower curtain qualified this hotel as a luxury hotel. It is far from it. The rooms are standard cookie-cutter hotel rooms. In our "upgraded room" (which we got only after registering significant complaints-more on that below), we have a standard size shower/tub with minimal water pressure, a toilet that requires two flushes to wash away anything, and a vanity with one sink. Apparently, no one noticed that the bathroom floor needs bleaching to get the dirt out of the grout.
Let's now go back to the beginning. We arrived here on Saturday early evening. If an upgrade is available, they are supposed to give it to Business Platinum travelers. The desk clerk insisted that no upgraded rooms were available, as the hotel was "fully booked". While the bell man had taken our luggage at the car port, and placed it on a cart, when we were done checking in the bellman was no where to be found, so we took our luggage up to our room ourselves. This room was located near the elevator lobby. The room was nothing more than a standard hotel room. This room had double sinks, but the water literally trickled out of each faucet. The TV in the room was miniscule. A few minutes after arriving, someone delivered a tray to us, and put it partially on the console table by the room door. I picked up the platter on the table, only to have the tray fall onto the floor and everything on the tray shattered. I called room service to clean up the glass. They sent someone who was to have swept, but he was incapable of doing it. It took three different visits and calls downstairs to to this attendant, and our telling him to get a vacuum before it was cleaned up.
The room was very noisy. We heard everyone walking to or from the elevator, starting in the wee hours of the morning. We got up to have breakfast (included in our room rate) before it closed, only to be told that the dining room was full and we could not be accommodated. The maitre'd took us to the main restaurant, and did take care of the breakfast tab. We then went to the front desk to ask to be moved. We were told we would be moved to the "Club Floor" as a room was immediately available there. Clearly, this room had to have been available when we arrived, as it was morning and the room was completely made up when we moved in, immediately after registering our complaint. This room, however, was exactly as described above. The benefit to the Club Floor is that you can eat breakfast and snacks in the lounge. However, the rooms are the same as the lower floors, except they have one sink, not two.
Service in the hotel is abysmal unless you complain about it, which should not be the case. The hotel has a pool, but it is indoors which is odd considering the climate in South Carolina. There is also a gym which has a fair amount of equipment crammed into a very small space. Considering that this hotel is operated by Venice-Simplon Orient Express, a high end hotel operator, the overall experience was quite shocking. We check out tomorrow, and needless to say, we won't return. The only reason for giving two stars is the location, and the assistance of the second desk clerk who actually moved us to a room we should have been in to begin with. There are other hotels in Charleston that are upscale. Pick one of them.

Stayed April 2013
Dear WanderingDad,

We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I am glad to hear that you were still able to get free breakfast at our restaurant despite the dining room being full. The hotel, located in the heart of downtown was designed to reflect the ancestry of Charleston. We have many different room configurations, however, I am sorry that the rooms did not meet your liking. As for your room upgrade, I can assure you that the upgraded room was not available until the following day when it was provided to you. While we are disappointed to hear that your stay was not what you anticipated, we do appreciate your feedback.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I went to the Charlestown Place on a family vacation with 4 others. The Charlestown Place had pretty good ratings so we decided to stay there.We saw things like the Daughters of the Confederacy Museum,Sullivans Island and Fort Sumpter. The hotel was terrible. But it was in a 5 star location. It was NOT pet friendly. Stay away from that hotel. It had many bad stores. There was no roll-away beds so I slept with 2 others and so did my other relatives. Also you had to pay 30 bucks for a mini-fridge. You had to use a bucket to get ice that melts. We had to switch rooms 3 times because sewage backed up and the rooms smelled. The TV was broken as well. The staff were terrible. I would give it 2 stars. Do not stay there!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the top floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ethan z
Dear Ethan,

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected. We allow well-behaved animals as a courtesy to guests travelling with pets, but do keep rules in place about leaving pets in the room alone so that pets do not disturb other guests. The rooms were built to reflect the style and charm of the city of Charleston. While the room and furnishings are suitable for a family, we do have a 4 person per room maximum to ensure comfortable accommodations. As for the TV, we wish we had known during your stay that it was not working as we have engineers available 24 hours a day for maintenance issues. While we are sorry your stay was not what you expected, we do appreciate your feedback.