Belmond Charleston Place
$305
$249
  • Pool
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$249
  • Restaurant
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$323
$279
$359
$269
$219
French Quarter Inn(Charleston)
$349
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$129
$218
$199
$228
$197
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$124
Travelocity
3,378 results
All reviewsclub levelpalmetto cafethoroughbred clubretractable roofbeautiful hotelrenovated roomroom serviceluxury hotelsouthern charmjunior suiterooftop poolking streetbell staffthe concierge levelturn down servicefitness centerheart of downtown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My mum and I just got back from a week-long stay in Charleston, at the Charleston Place Hotel. We arrived very early in the morning (5:30am) and the staff at the front desk were very accommodating to provide us with access to the club floor to start our day before the room was ready.

We stayed on a club floor. If you can, stay on one of them! The food and service was excellent. Light breakfast in the morning, wine and cheese from 11 - 3 (I think.. we were never there at that time), tea time from 3-4:30, then hot hors d'oeuvres from 5-7, and finally dessert and drinks from 8-10:30. The food was delicious with a variety each day, and the riesling they served was the best I've ever had! If wine isn't your thing, they have a variety of liquor/beer to suit your tastes as well. The food/beverages are included in the cost of your room, and the floors are only accessible to those staying on them (no guests from outside). Cocktail hours were lively and we met quite a few nice people. We ate out only once our entire trip!

The room we had was comfy, anything we needed was brought to us. Should have asked for another iron as ours was a bit leaky, but overall the room was just what we needed after a long day of walking. Wi-Fi worked perfectly all over the hotel for us.

I made use of the pool/hot tub on the 4th floor. Hardly anyone there at all around 8pm, nice and quiet. I loved the salt water!

The Palmetto cafe had EXCELLENT breakfast options...it was hard to choose! I had the lobster/crab omelette and my mum had the huevos rancheros, they were delicious. Coffee is freshly made for each table, with a variety of strengths to choose from.

We would especially like to say thank you to Brenna, Kendall, and Kevin at the front desk, who were so helpful and kind during our stay last week. John, one of the bellmen, was so nice to chat with during our early morning arrival on the 10th. Carrie, our server in the Palmetto cafe was lovely and so we'd like to thank her too.

Overall, a wonderful first trip for me to Charleston, and I don't think it would have been the same if we'd stayed at another hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on the club floor!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Laura E
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed there when he attended a conference. Location was convenient; customer service was great; public areas were beautiful. Fortunately, we had a conference rate (even so, we had to pay $30 more when we asked for a room with a King bed), because the room would never have been worth the regular rate. All the furnishings looked worn, the bathroom tiles needed revitalized, the wood floor in the entrance way was noticeably scratched. In general, the room needed a refresh.

Room Tip: We were told that some of the rooms have recently been redone--ask for one of these. We stayed on the 4th floor, and our room had definitely not been updated.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sharon4142
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend booked this hotel for our 5 year anniversary and surprised me with an engagement/family weekend. Both of our families stayed the weekend was wonderful. The staff was friendly, our room as clean and nicely decorated. The location couldn't have been more ideal. Definitely a splurge but sometimes it's worth it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We enjoyed a very brief stay at Charleston Place. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Spa this time, only on the accommodations, service and one of the restaurants.

Positives:
1) Location downtown in the heart of shopping, dining, sightseeing, and historic district. Most things are totally walkable from Charleston Place.
2) Since we made reservations through AMEX FHR program, we were upgraded on arrival to a suite. The suite was roomy and luxurious with a living area and king bedroom. The bathroom had a nice bathtub and walk in marble shower with Gilchrist & Soames toiletries.
3) Shopping and dining inside the hotel: Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Tommy Bahama, Everything but Water, Fresh Produce, St. John, Godiva Chocolates, and several more.
4) Service was friendly and helpful
5) Lunch at the newly renovated Palmetto Cafe was pricey but fantastic! We had a food & beverage credit that we used for lunch. The courtyard/patio was being worked on while we were there.

Negatives (although somewhat minor)
1) WiFi didn't work very well for us, perhaps this is an anomaly?
2) The lobby and shopping thoroughfare can get very crowded on weekends as it connects two main north/south routes through town and tourists like to gawk at the hotel and shops.
3) I used the front desk four times during our stay, and there was always a line.

I would recommend Charleston Place to anyone looking for a splurge or special stay in Charleston.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank KelekeWahine
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a very European hotel (including dogs all over) in the deep south. Operated by Orient Express, this beautiful property brings to mind the finer hotels of Europe. This time however there were some problems during the stay (my second). I again had a suite and a connecting room. The bathtub of the connecting room was clogged up, the mattress on the suit was lumpy and I felt itchy all night....the dogs? The suite was very small and had a large bathroom with tub, toilet, shower and two sinks which sat right in the middle of the suite! You have to walk around the thing to get around! I tried using the sofa bed for my granddaughter but the mattress was also kaput. We had to order a convertible bed. At $1,210 a night this is completely inadmissible and a cheap bottle of bubbly will not make up for it ......................Sayonara!............................

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank EJGMIA
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent visit. I am sorry to hear that you ran into some issues during your second stay with us. I would like to apologize for the disappointment in with the layout of your suite. I truly wish we had known that you were not pleased with your room before you checked out. Had we known you were not satisfied, we would have gladly moved you to a different room. We have several different rooms with different configurations and I am confident we could have found one that was to your liking. As for the maintenance issues, we staff 24-hour housekeeping and engineering teams that are on-site to help solve problems like the ones you experienced. I am sorry we were not able to assist with the issues you encountered. You will be happy to hear that we have just replaced the mattresses in every room. While we are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations, we certainly appreciate your feedback.

Paul Stracey