“Engagement Weekend without a Hitch!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmond Charleston Place

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Engagement Weekend without a Hitch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend booked this hotel for our 5 year anniversary and surprised me with an engagement/family weekend. Both of our families stayed the weekend was wonderful. The staff was friendly, our room as clean and nicely decorated. The location couldn't have been more ideal. Definitely a splurge but sometimes it's worth it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
Florence, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We enjoyed a very brief stay at Charleston Place. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Spa this time, only on the accommodations, service and one of the restaurants.

Positives:
1) Location downtown in the heart of shopping, dining, sightseeing, and historic district. Most things are totally walkable from Charleston Place.
2) Since we made reservations through AMEX FHR program, we were upgraded on arrival to a suite. The suite was roomy and luxurious with a living area and king bedroom. The bathroom had a nice bathtub and walk in marble shower with Gilchrist & Soames toiletries.
3) Shopping and dining inside the hotel: Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Tommy Bahama, Everything but Water, Fresh Produce, St. John, Godiva Chocolates, and several more.
4) Service was friendly and helpful
5) Lunch at the newly renovated Palmetto Cafe was pricey but fantastic! We had a food & beverage credit that we used for lunch. The courtyard/patio was being worked on while we were there.

Negatives (although somewhat minor)
1) WiFi didn't work very well for us, perhaps this is an anomaly?
2) The lobby and shopping thoroughfare can get very crowded on weekends as it connects two main north/south routes through town and tourists like to gawk at the hotel and shops.
3) I used the front desk four times during our stay, and there was always a line.

I would recommend Charleston Place to anyone looking for a splurge or special stay in Charleston.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank KelekeWahine
Key Biscayne, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a very European hotel (including dogs all over) in the deep south. Operated by Orient Express, this beautiful property brings to mind the finer hotels of Europe. This time however there were some problems during the stay (my second). I again had a suite and a connecting room. The bathtub of the connecting room was clogged up, the mattress on the suit was lumpy and I felt itchy all night....the dogs? The suite was very small and had a large bathroom with tub, toilet, shower and two sinks which sat right in the middle of the suite! You have to walk around the thing to get around! I tried using the sofa bed for my granddaughter but the mattress was also kaput. We had to order a convertible bed. At $1,210 a night this is completely inadmissible and a cheap bottle of bubbly will not make up for it ......................Sayonara!............................

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank EJGMIA
CharlestonPlace, General Manager at Belmond Charleston Place, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent visit. I am sorry to hear that you ran into some issues during your second stay with us. I would like to apologize for the disappointment in with the layout of your suite. I truly wish we had known that you were not pleased with your room before you checked out. Had we known you were not satisfied, we would have gladly moved you to a different room. We have several different rooms with different configurations and I am confident we could have found one that was to your liking. As for the maintenance issues, we staff 24-hour housekeeping and engineering teams that are on-site to help solve problems like the ones you experienced. I am sorry we were not able to assist with the issues you encountered. You will be happy to hear that we have just replaced the mattresses in every room. While we are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations, we certainly appreciate your feedback.

Paul Stracey
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were there in Feb. and were fortunate to have very nice weather for walking, and walking, and walking this beautiful city. The Hotel is among the nicest in town, with a staff that seemed eager to please. I didn't notice any of the needed 'updating' some others have mentioned. Our room had a nice view and was very clean. The restaurants and bars are first class ( and they charge 1st class prices ). Access by car is very easy, and if you are seeing any of the attractions out of the city it is very easy to get on or off the freeway. All and all a wonderful choice!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wstphl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

In Charleston on business for a couple of nights. It had been a number of years since I'd stayed here and was looking forward to it. The hotel is located within walking distance to just about anywhere you'd want to go about town. You can actually self park your car in garage adjacent hotel operated by the city, which I think is a nice option. Also, you're not gouged like at many hotels. Probably because hotel does not own it. Anyway, staff very nice and attentive with restaurant recommendations etc. What really struck me was how much the old place was showing her age. Carpets worn, drapes dingy etc. The worst was how LOUD the ac was cutting on and off. Actually woke me up at times. I couldn't even have the fan run continuously. The cheap radio/alarm clock did not even have a sleep feature that cut music off after some time. Disappointing and not what I would expect from an Orient Express property.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TommyLongboat
We appreciate you sharing feedback on your stay with us. While I am glad to hear that you are a return guest, I am sorry that you were disappointed with your most recent experience. We strive for our rooms to reflect the ancestry of Charleston while still providing the most up to date accommodations. With this said, it sounds like you may have had a faulty AC unit. I am sorry we not have the opportunity to address this issue while you were on property. We do have a 24 hour engineering team and we encourage our guests to let us know if they have any issues during their stay. While we are disappointed to hear you had issues during your stay, we appreciate your valuable feedback. We hope you will choose to stay at Charleston Place on your next trip to Charleston.

Paul Stracey
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had adjoining rooms and both were nicely updated. The a/c was a bit loud, and always on, but even though I'm a light sleeper it didn't really bother me. The staff was first rate and exceptional. From making the reservations to check in to my son accidentally locking himself out of his room, to the service at the restaurant and the bar, it was all smooth as silk. It's what a great hotel aspires to be. I'd be tempted to give it an "Excellent" except that I have to reserve that for an "OMG!"

Room Tip: We were almost right above the very busy car entrance (5th Floor) and never heard a single noise fro...