“Beware pet fee” 3 of 5 bubbles

Belmond Charleston Place
Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
“Beware pet fee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at Charleston and made the reservation based on good reviews this hotel had gotten, its location and the fact that is was "pet friendly". The staff was very helpful and friendly but the hotel seemed a little worn and tired for the price. The real reason I'm writing this review and what made me mad is that when I booked the resv and then called the hotel to let them know I was bringing my well behaved non-shedding dog, neither the web site nor the person who answered the phone let me know about the $95 pet fee. When I mentioned this to the person checking us in she insisted it was on the website. I checked again twice and have not been able to find it. It was Xmas so we paid it without arguing. The hotel also does not allow guests to go out and leave their pets in their rooms alone so going out to dinner for Xmas would have been impossible. We ended up drugging our dog so there would be no chance of him making a peep. Not that he normally does. They suggest pet sitters. I recommend Charleston Place stop accepting pets and take all of the money they've collected from unsuspecting pet owners and invest in new furniture and wallpaper.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lauren M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
Mukilteo, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had to be in Charleston for business and got a good corporate rate so I decided to do something different than a Hilton for a change. I am glad I did. What a wonderful place! Everyone says people in the south are friendly, but as a Yankee I was skeptical. I was wrong. Every staff member I interacted with was as nice as nice could be.

The room was beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean. Even the bathroom had decor. The lobby was still decorated beautifully for Christmas.

I arrived late in the evening and discovered that the main restaurant's kitchen closes at 10. The room service menu didn't have anything that looked good at that moment so I wound up in the bar having several tapas plates and a beer. I had three items and they were all delicious.

On the second morning I decided to splurge on breakfast in the hotel. On future trips it won't be a splurge, it will be a necessity. I've seen larger buffets but none as good from end to end as this one. The scrambled eggs actually looked like scrambled eggs rather than a gelatinous yellow mass. They had excellent cheese blintzes. My server Franklin actually described the attributes of my coffee choice. I have never ever had someone do that.

The bacon was so good that I'm devoting a separate paragraph to it. It was without a doubt the best bacon I have ever had in my entire life anywhere in the world. Apple smoked and sliced just right; not too thick and not paper thin. It was cooked to that sweet spot between limp and over crisp like a potato chip. It took all my self discipline to stop eating it and walk away. I would come back just for breakfast.

The only negative I can come up with is the daily parking fee. I know the hotel is downtown but $15 per day for self parking and double that for the valet is a bit much even with unlimited in and out privileges.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank namsman
Olympia Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We spent 4 nights here Christmas week. Loved the city, food, hotel, location, people -- can't gush enough. My sweetie and I had a romantic, cozy and lovely time here. Would go back!

Comfortable and roomy room and great bed. Beautiful decorations for the holidays, great room service. Overall a great holiday here.

• Stayed December 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for my 50th birthday in early December, and I got a great deal on Luxury Link for a package on the club level. It was fantastic, although not so great if you are dieting. The food was constant and very high quality. Top shelf drinks after 5 and beer and wine in the afternoons. The staff was spectacular, and after a mishap of delivering my birthday suprise from my husband to the wrong room, the concierge handled it very professionaly. I would recommend this hotel for a weekend in charleston because of the service, location and friendliness of the staff. I am not really a spa person, but since services came with the package I bought I had a facial and massage the morning we were leaving and thought it was very nice, although I am not a good one for comparisons. We loved Charleston too- it was a fantastic long weekend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Well located. First class shopping mall in the hotel and step outside to King Street. Towels galore and changed every day. Nice amenities. Comfortable bed and very clean room. Also good restaurants in the hotel, although we did not dine there. Self parking was $14 a day. All in all a very pleasant stay and the price we got was very good for the quality - $240/night

• Stayed December 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hospitality shown by the staff and central location of this hotel is what makes The Charleston Place. Our room a deluxe jr. suite, small standing balcony faced Meeting Street, 1 king bed, 1 pull out sofa and 1 bathroom. Room décor has a definite old world feel/Georgian style. Tried two onsite dining options: Room Service for breakfast was good and The lobby Thoroughbread Club offered great tapas/cocktails and a fantastic live pianist. Indoor swimming pool and Spa great amenities ( children’s spa menu available). My complaints would be the lacking bed quality and very slow Internet speed in room ( download 0.2mbps/upload 0.24mbps).

Room Tip: We had a very hard time obtaining dining reservations (stayed over Christmas and this compounded pro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Quinta do Lago, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

What a lovely hotel to spend Xmas day, front desk, concierge and rest of staff 5 star, it is one of the best hotels I've stayed in.
The Xmas decorations were excellent and the whole place felt like Xmas.

Room Tip: We took two beds and the room was enormous, American hotels just need to give bigger bathtubs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple