“Great for Pets and travel to Charleston!!!”

Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Ranked #38 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Columbus, OH
“Great for Pets and travel to Charleston!!!”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at this Residence Inn. We frequently stay at the Residence Inn chain because we like to travel with our pets and like the free internet/breakfast! We arrived a bit early (like 5 hours before check in) and the front desk accommodated us immediately and offered us the breakfast buffet. This was a great treat since we had been driving all night! The lady was fantastic and very friendly. I wish I got her name!

Our room was very cool and clean. Yes, it's an older Residence Inn, but the hotel has updated it to modern standards. I think it fits well with the southern Charleston charm. We requested a room with a balcony which was great with the dogs (it's all enclosed). My dog loved to go out and lay in the sun!

Speaking of dogs - this is a great place to bring your pet. All of Charleston is, really. With so many pet friendly beaches and restaurants, why leave the pet at home? We were there for 6 nights so the pet fee was fair in our eyes. There is a great place to walk your dog and let them play. We ended up taking our dogs to Wild Dunes Beach (fantastic beach) and Folly Beach (not so fantastic in our eyes....big party beach). They had a blast playing in the waves.

Breakfast was great. The staff was super nice and were always busy filling things up. Some days we didn't make it down until 9:45 (ends at 10) and food was plentiful. I will say the waffle maker is a hit and they need another.

We used the pool one day. Yes, it was warm....people we're in Charleston, SC in September, but it was very clean and I believe it was saline so it eliminated the chlorine smell!

We used the shuttle service one night as well. We're buckeyes and needed to get to bars downtown to watch the game and didn't want to drive. I will say the shuttle did not have a lot of guests using it throughout the week so I think the driver was driving around waiting for us. We had to call the hotel to see where he was at 11:45 p.m. He did come and apologized for being late, but we were pretty tired by that point.

All in all a great trip. The halls were a little warm, but you're not sleeping in them, right??? The rooms were very comfortable and clean and would highly recommend this hotel for families (and pets, too!)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GonzoJo
fowler62, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit such a kind and thorough review. I always travel with my pets too, so I know how important it is to have a place to accommodate them... they are family too! We hope to see you again in the near future! Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I'm a frequent traveller for work and until now have stayed exclusively at Marriott Properites. This trip was leisure not business, and I chose Marriott so we would be assured of quality accomodations. What a major league disappointment this property was! We booked weeks in adavnace of our stay and provided my "Marriott Rewards number" at the time of booking. We arrive to find a choice of two "accessible rooms" and that was it. Both were next to the elevator. Our room was horrible - dirt and mold in the bathroom, the mattress needed to be replaced a long time ago. Both sides rolled to the center ! The windows may as well have been left out - you looked out to see the wall next door, nothing else. The room was dark, not welcoming, carpets were worn and it' looked like it surely has seen a lot of hard use. TV was terrible - needs to be updated. As a frequent Marriott guest - this was just plain disgusting. The lobby market-place was out of everything, and the complimentary popcorn for each room was even gone. The only positive thing I can say about this stay is the breakfast was ok the next morning. Not great, just ok. I wish I could think of more positive items to list for this property - since all the other Marriotts I have ever stayed in have been up to par - but this place was a dump. Lower your expectations, if you plan on staying here. Note to local Marriott management - I would be glad to provide you with my contact information if you are interested in talking to me about these issues, and are also welcome to see the photos. Please repsond to this comment if you would like to talk with me.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2PilotsTravel
Rhode Island
Reviewed September 8, 2010

On a road trip with two teens: We had a 2 bedroomed suite which afforded us space and a lovely water view. Breakfast and the managers' reception were ok. I think food should be protected more from insects etc. A few things were out of order such a a drying machine and computer but that may be just bad luck. I do recommend this hotel if you need space, however a couple or a smaller family may prefer to stay in downtown.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I have reviewed your comments and just wanted to update you on a couple of things. Since your stay, we have replaced all washers/dryers with brand new units in both of our guest laundry rooms. Also, repairs have been made on the computer in the business center. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay. Too, please note that Marriott has very strict breakfast set-up standards with how the food is presented/stored during breakfast and social hours. We follow these models closely to adhere to the Marriott standard, and I assure you that is very safe/sanitary. Thanks again for your time, and we hope to see you again in the future.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I will also echo what others have said about the misery of this place in the summer. While our room was pretty cool, the hallways and common areas were simply miserable. The smell when you enter was overwhelming. I'm not sure if it was mold or years of spilled beer, but it was bad.

We were orginally staying at this location for 6 weeks during our relocation to the area. However, the location simply did not work for a family trying to have a "normal" life while living in a hotel. Location is likely fine for a vacation but not close enough to daily living things for us. We moved after 8 days to the Residence Inn Airport and while the location was better, that location has some issues too. It was still a better option for a long term stay.

In addition to the location, there is limited parking and only one door that doesn't feature stairs. With my 1 and 3 year old and their stuff the stairs are a problem. So access was an issue for us. There were several nights many of the washer/dryers did not work and a few that the washers were fine but the dryers didn't work at all, leaving us with a basket full of wet clothes.

In the middle of the hot summer the pool was REALLY warm and it is hard to think the water quality was all that good. This place is jumping on the weekends so we usually chose to swim elsewhere.

I will disagree with the comments about the breakfast below. Unexceptable is the only words I have to describe it. I think yogurt and bananna are a breakfast staple and neithor were offered.

The one positive was the housekeeping staff they were fantastic. They were willing to make sure the room was cleaned while we were out with the kids in the morning and Shea made sure to make up my son's bed with his toy story stuff every day. He LOVED it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank the3Jsmother
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This hotel is just over the bridge from historic Charleston. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath room with a full kitchen. TVs in all rooms. Even had a doorbell! Great complimentary breakfast each morning and a social in the evenings. One day we had hot dogs and burgers with beer and wine and punch (all complimentary). Everyone was helpful and friendly. Laundry on site also.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We have stayed here twice -- once in December 2009 and just recently in August (3 nights). This Residence Inn has seen better days -- the furniture, TV's, etc. are all worn and not up-to-date. There is a HUGE problem with the airconditioning. The first room we were assigned, a 1-BR suite (room 407) was like a sauna. Called the front desk and was told to close the room -darkening drapes (we had already done that) and set the thermostat to about 70. It was already reading 80. We then went to dinner, only to return and find it unbearable. We asked for a different room -- much better (room 327) on the other side of the building.

The hallways seemed to be not air-conditioned. There was not a vent in the bathroom and the place really steamed up -- evident from the mold on the ceilings.

The business center was fine and private, but one of the 2 computers was broken and the printer was not working either.

On the "plus" side - the breakfast was just fine (and clean) and the evening "social experiences" were equally fine. One employee, Nicky, really worked in the evening to keep everyone happy. She is a gem.

The free evening shuttle to downtown Charleston is a great idea and guests love it.

HOWEVER, think twice about staying here in the summer months. Charleston is known to be super-hot in the summer, and your hotel should be a retreat from the heat, not an additional discomfort. We checked out a day early.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BuckandNina
Portsmouth
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Not sure if this hotel is a winner in the winter, but you should avoid it when it's hot outside. The rooms are the traditional Residence Inn. Look, feel, style, all the same. The problem is the moisture/humidity. I have allergies and they act up around mold. THe hallways, rooms, gym, etc, were all miserable. My room and my co-workers room had no functioning a/c and were about 95 degrees inside. Naturally we complained, switched rooms, and had pretty much the same thing. My room was must and damp. There was mold growing on the ceiling. My throat started to hurt, but it was late in the evening, so we stayed. I wen't back downstairs to ask about the roms and the moisture, well the lady at the desk looked at me and said "It's hot out, what can I do about it?" No offer to try another room, some extra points, whatever. Just attitude. I love Marriott, I'm a Gold rewards member. I will not go back to this hotel. We were supposed to stay there for 8 days, but ended up checking out the next morning and moving over to the Renaissance in Downtown. There it was nice and comfy. Avoid this hotel if it's humid out. The need to clean the mold too. Even my co-worker had the exact same complaints.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business