“Nice Hotel , Good Location”

Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Ranked #38 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Nice Hotel , Good Location”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Nice Hotel. We stayed only for one night and were glad we did.
The Hotel is clean and is at a safe location. Like most other Residence Inns across country the rooms were like 1BR Apartments with all amenities. The linens were clean , bathroom was clean and coffee maker was very neat and clean surprisingly which is not common :)

The price is Fair compared to the other hotels in the area.

We would repeat it if get a chance in future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin T, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Prasad T,

Hope all is well in Pennsylvania and that you are keeping warm! Thank you so much for the glowing review on Trip Advisor, and sharing it with other potential travelers to the area.

Our staff take much pride in maintaining the hotel to extremely high standards, and we are happy to see that this was your observation as well.

We greatly appreciate you choosing our hotel, and hope to welcome you back to the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview soon. Until then, take care!

erin.thomson@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed for two nights in a 1-bedroom suite, which was perfect for our family. Our room didn't have much of a view but that's no big deal since we were out for most of the day anyway. The beds are comfortable, and the rooms are pretty quiet except for the occasional noise from the dog and kids next door. The facilities are a little dated but well-maintained and clean. The kitchen is well-equipped with dishes and pots and pans. We didn't really cook there since we had a short stay and the dining options in Charleston are so excellent, but it's good to know for future reference.

The free breakfast is better than at most hotels, with lots of hot prepared food like oatmeal, grits, bacon, egss, and sausage. Would be nice to have more fresh fruit though.

From the hotel, it's a quick hop into Charleston by car, or the hotel provides a shuttle that drops you off right in the heart of downtown. It was a really nice stay and would stay here again if we come back to Charleston.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CityGirlDC
CityGirlDC,

Hope all is well in Beijing! Thank you so much for choosing our hotel to suit your needs, and I am so happy to hear that our amenities were to your liking.

As far as the hotel is concerned, I am certain you will love our upcoming renovations! We would love for you to come back after they are complete and let us know what you think!

Thank you again for the great review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview soon! Until then, take care.

Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed from for two in nights. Rooms need an upgrade as they look as used as they are.
I did leave something in my room and called. The front desk girl was very nice and transfered me to housekeeping. The recording was on as no one was there. The message asked me to leave a number and they will call be right back. That was three weeks ago
Hope someone is enjoying my ring!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear patepies,

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest review with other travelers on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay.

Regarding the hotel, I'm sure that you will be happy with our upcoming renovations. We would love to welcome you back after they are complete! I would love to speak with you more about the item left in your room, as we would gladly send it back to you! I've sent you a private message and look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview. I hope that we are able to welcome you back soon. Please contact me directly in the future and I would love to personally coordinate your reservation.

nc
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We spent the last four nights at this property. A few observations.

Previous reviews have commented on the difficulty in finding the hotel. We used mapquest and we had no problems.

We loved the location. It is convenient to downtown Charleston and yet not in the hustle and bustle of the city. We had a lovely view of the marina and enjoyed morning walks around the area.

As many have noted before, the staff is first rate. They were friendly and willing to do anything to make the visit enjoyable. For example we asked directions to Folly Beach and they handed us pre printed round trip directions. As we were leaving this morning a staff member was happy to take a couple of pictures of us on the hotel grounds. The staff is certainly this hotel's greatest asset.

The downtown shuttle service ran from 5 pm till around 11. You could either catch it in front of the hotel or the next door sister property every half hour. The drivers Stanley and Fletcher were friendly and knew a lot about the Charleston area. In addition you can request a taxi take you downtown for around 12 dollars. We used Kefah taxi and they were great We had to wait about 10 minutes after calling for the pick up.It was really nice being able to avoid driving downtown.

Our room was clean and comfortable. The rooms do need updating and I understand that will happen in the new year. The place is definitely showing its age. You could hear knocking and groaning in the pipes. I don't know all that the renovation will entail but hopefully it will be more than cosmetic.

The breakfast is a nice feature. The space limitations in the dining area are obvious. The space simply cannot handle the traffic. The dining staff was working hard but they could not keep the tables cleaned or the food stocked fast enough for the large number of guests. I suggest arriving early for breakfast. Hopefully the renovation can deal with some of these issues.

In spite of the short comings we will return. The hotel offers good value and hopefully the renovations will create a hotel worthy of the staff. Thanks for the great stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tturner17
Erin T, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear tturner17,

Hope all is well in North Carolina! Thank you for sharing such a glowing review with other travelers on Trip Advisor!

We are so happy to hear that our staff and amenities were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your stay! As you can tell, our top priority is 100% guest satifaction and customer service excellence. I do apologize, however, for the inconveniences you suffered during breakfast. I will make sure our scheduling is looked more closely at by management staff in this new year!

We are very much looking forward to updating the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back after we are completed! Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The property is nice, but service SUCKS. Breakfast is the usual, eggs, sausage, waffles, potatoes, muffins, fruit and yogurt. There's a evening reception that included wine, tea, lemonade, salad, bread, soup (nice touch). BUT...I had two issues. First we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for 2 nights and paid $645+ taxes (room 109), next to someone with not ONE but TWO dogs that barked well into the night EVERY night we were here. They stopped around 2am (on average). The owners were in there because I could hear them yelling "Shut up!". Went to the front desk and complained. The responce was...."well we can leave them a message, to stay in the room with the dogs"....huh? They WERE in the room. Then, I was told that I could move to another room...huh? Why should I move? I am not the problem....THE DOGS ARE!! Tell the owners to move! We have 4 large bags unpacked and 2 teenagers....move? Thanks for nothing. Secondly, when housekeeping knocked on the door this morning we asked them to come back. "Ok." she said. We left and came back to the door and someone (THE HOUSEKEEPER) put the NO SERVICE PLEASE magnet on the door. I told my husband that she did that because she had no intentions on coming back. Keep in mind that the day before we had NO SERVICE because of the Christmas Holiday (that I understand). So we needed our trash emptied, more towels and more soap. We had to go to the frontdesk and get our towels, soap, and trash bags (to empty the trash). Unacceptable. Hotels are SUPPOSED to provide this service, my EXPECTATION is that this service is provided. The only reason that I haven't CHECKED OUT is because (foolishly) I prepaid for these nights here. There are sooo many choices here in Charleston, next time I am here I WILL stay SOMEWHERE ELSE. Money spends EVERYWHERE and I don't have to PAY for this kinda service. P.S. Yes we are rewards members.

Room Tip: Ask NOT to by pet owners!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vanessa1989
Erin T, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Vanessa1989,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor. Furthermore, we apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations when it came to customer service.

I am sincerely sorry that you experienced such an inconvenience while trying to enjoy a nice holiday in Charleston with your family. We try to keep pet owners on the first floor near an exit so that pets are able to easily exit the hotel in search of a bathroom. We do have policies in place regarding excessive noise, and I will make sure that these policies are reviewed with front desk employees.

In regards to the housekeeping service, we did let all guests know at check in time that we would have limited service during the holiday, with housekeeping staff still exchanging towels and trash for guests. All guests also had an option to still have full housekeeping service if they wished. It seems as if there was a miscommunication with the housekeeper on the day you received no service, and I will make sure that this matter is looked into further.

Customer service excellence and complete guest satisfaction are our top priority and I can see that this was not obtained during your stay. Given the chance, I would love to personally coordinate your return to Charleston and the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview. Please contact me if I can be of any assistance now or in the future.

Surry, Virginia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We loved our stay at the Residence Inn. The suite was large, clean and comfortable. When you are staying for a few days, you really appreciate having more than one room so you don't necessarily have to get up when your husband does. Mon. through Thur. they even have food in the lounge in the early evenings, which can be supper if you want it to. They also run a free bus into the historic district at night. We loved it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lyn1985,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an honest and opinioned review on Trip Advisor.

We are very happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of the great amenities we have to offer at the hotel! Many guests enjoy being able to ride the shuttle into the historic district. It definitely takes the hassle out of trying to find somewhere to park!

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Until then, have a Happy New Year!

Indiana
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here while waiting for my townhome to be ready for move-in. The room was clean, spacious and plenty of extras...towels, soaps, and cozy. First night I checked in they were offering free salads and drinks in the lobby. Free breakfast in the morning...looked good, even though I was in a hurry. Nice dining area with fireplace. The staff was pleasant and eager to assist. The only thing I didn't like was that I didn't think to put up a note, sign, or later found a magnet on the refrigerator in the room that said I didn't need service for the day...came back and found my room tidy, but didn't like that my sleep clothes and such had been handled and moved...again, small complaint, but was my fault for not saying something...for those of you who don't like your things handled by others...put up a sign.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Katie R, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Indy_colts2009,

I hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying your new town home!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We truly appreciate all the positive comments and are happy that you felt right at home during your stay with us. Our room layouts and amenities are great for extended stays and we strive to make the hotel feel as a "home away from home" so I am thrilled to hear we accomplished that with you!

Thanks for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview. We hope we have the pleasure of seeing you around town. Welcome to Charleston!

Yours in hospitality,